Glare and Squinty Eyes

With the averge age of the kneeboarder these days this area should be used to post issues on health matters (surfer's ear, knee surgery, stretches, etc).

Moderator: Moderator

kneecaps
Local (More than 25 post)

Glare and Squinty Eyes

Post by kneecaps »

Has anyone used these :?:
Nike and Baush&Laumb(sp?) have come out with "sunglass" contact lenses to cut down sun-glare.

http://www.bausch.com/us/vision/product ... xsight.jsp

I use contact lenses anyway for vision correctness while surfing, so combining the sight correction with sunglass tint sounds great.
I guess these are available in prescription and non-prescrip.
Anyone use them, or something like them :?:

Kneecaps
When in doubt, trust your rail.
john -
Legend (Contribution King!)

Post by john - »

no, have not but had a surf with 3 french guys earlier this year at Bells who were here pitching their surf sunnies to Rip Curl and other surf establishments located in Torquay

Might be more on the market soonish
K-man

Post by K-man »

http://www.blueye.com.au/page9.html

Several different types on the market,believe scott mac has a pair.
kneecaps

Post by kneecaps »

yeah, Im going to give those nike contact lenses a try... I will chime back in and let you know how they go.
Im hoping they act as regular contact lenses (lense in the eye), but with major "sunglass" effect.

The last thing I want is to end up down the road Headwax describes :shock: :shock:
When in doubt, trust your rail.
Smokin Rock

Post by Smokin Rock »

Kneecaps,
there is a guy here who has eye problems due to glare and he wears a hat. he loses one or two every winter but its only twenty bucks so no big deal. he has his wife sew a little tab into his rashguard collar and he makes a monofilament leash which works in all but the biggest surf. i fish a lot and always wear a hat and sunglasses but if i had to choose only one. i would choose the hat. the glare off the water is bad but the sun in your eyes is worse. give lo-tech a try.
"This sucks more than anything that has ever sucked before." Butt-head
red

Post by red »

Mike's right - a brim's the go.
I prefer the hood to a had because it doesn't get lost and the peak is small enough so it doesn't get in the way of watching the lip out of the corner of my eye. I'm even wear a hood in Indo. If the glare gets too bad I pull the peak lower and look at the nose of my board while paddling. Stops ear sunburn, too, but it looks a bit silly with trunks. But them I'm a non-logo, non-fashion kind of guy.
willli
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

Post by willli »

I've been using one of these surf caps for the last 10 years

the one with the ear coverage and bill

absolute best, even wear it under my hood cos you can flip the bill up when paddling

http://www.headhuntersurf.com/m_apparel.html#
jamie

Post by jamie »

Check out Barz Optics - not sure of email address but I am sure you can find if you google them.
Thet are a lightweight silicon based frame that float and has a safety strap.
Designed and owned by Kevin Barr another kneelo brother who had some good results at Duranbah in the early days.
They can have prescription lenses put in, for those who like to see what their paddling into.
Jamie
skeg

Re: Glare and Squinty Eyes

Post by skeg »

Nike Maxsight sport-tinted contact lenses by Bausch & Lomb are no longer available. Dunno why. Have come across two other websites selling sport contact lenses. Note though, that sport does not specifically mean surf. And besides, tinted sport contacts will not prevent a pterygium forming in the white of an eye.
skeg

Re: Glare and Squinty Eyes

Post by skeg »

skeg wrote:And besides, tinted sport contacts will not prevent a pterygium forming in the white of an eye.
Not to mention pingueculitis.
Sun_Ra
Grom (25 or less posts to site)
Grom (25 or less posts to site)

Post by Sun_Ra »

All I have to say is GOGGLES.

Been wearing a pair Kareem Abdul Jamal issue frames for 20 years. :twisted:
A open style silicon frame and dark lenses and rigged up with a leash to prevent the occasional disattachment... hate paddling out without them!

Not sure the same model is still around though. These are a bit more extreme, but similar: http://www.simplyeyeglasses.com/eyeglas ... Eyeglasses

"Do those things work??" :roll:
quadfin

Post by quadfin »

I wear Clear Sights from Cooper Vision (UK) and they have UV protection and tint. Just don't have much luck keeping them on my eyeball in the water. Tried it again last week and lost one.
Surf Hard Live Slow
Headwax.

Post by Headwax. »

You might be ble to get a lens with a larger diameter to sit in your eye better. Use it just for the water. Eg if you take it to extremes the periphery of the lens will sit under your lids better and probably stay in - at the expense of reduced oxygen availability at the edge of your cornea - depending on your script.

You might have to got to two weekly disposables? More parameters to play with.

Just ask your eye care person first :)