Leashes and rocks

With the averge age of the kneeboarder these days this area should be used to post issues on health matters (surfer's ear, knee surgery, stretches, etc).

Moderator: Moderator

W.G. Facenda
Legend (Contribution King!)

Post by W.G. Facenda »

Don, "the Deviate" aka "Hangman", uses a leash around his neck.The plug is on the bow.. :?:
SCGARY
Local (More than 25 post)

Post by SCGARY »

jadams3 wrote:Hmmmmmmm.........I wouldn't want a leash upfront ......if it wraps around your neck during a wipeout in the high agitation cycle......you're toast.......my personal opinion........I like to get as far away from my board as possible in those situations
That's possible I suppose, but I never had that happen in the years I used a front leash. I have had it happen on a tail mounted leash though when the board shot out in front of me on a wipe out, wrapping the leash around my neck as the tail passed me.
surfhorn

Post by surfhorn »

The modern surf leash had it's start as a front-mounted leash: rubber suction cup with an eye bolt screwed in and a length of surgical tubing with a wrist loop tied into it.

Invented by a Santa Cruz kneeboarder and scooped up for a few $s by the O'Neills.
kbing since plywood days
Jacksquid

Drowning ruins all the fun

Post by Jacksquid »

Surfing Sunset Cliffs after Big Wednesday, I noticed a lot of lobster buoys bobbing in the water. As much as I tried to avoid them, I noticed my leash coming very close to them as I would pass over them. Their knotty, ragged, kelp-infested arms seemed to reach for me in the 57 degree water. :shock: I kept visualizing them grabbing for my trailing hardware and pulling me under into an ugly and unecessary life or death panic. The mojo disappeared quickly with those thoughts, and I went in. HOWEVER, if there was ever a time for an arm leash, that was it. It seems certain conditions could warrant it.

Squid
KenM

Post by KenM »

I just tried out the Dakine leash quick release that Stemple had previously recommended on this thread. It works great. Installs easily and is easy to get a hold of in the water, even with gloves on. I plan on getting them for all my leashes. Surf More products also has a version too. 8)