Shoulders

With the averge age of the kneeboarder these days this area should be used to post issues on health matters (surfer's ear, knee surgery, stretches, etc).

Moderator: Moderator

Brendan
Ripper (more than 100 posts)
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

Post by Brendan »

I started using Omega 3 based on the advice in this thread (couldn't hurt could it). Great results, constant right shoulder pain when lifting arm has reduced to near none.

Still can't throw a ball to save my life though. (I have been nicknamed "custart arm" at work. I spose it's better than "gidget")

Brendan
The only bad surfing day is one where you don't.
joe
Legend (Contribution King!)

Post by joe »

I returned from a trip to Baja a few weeks back with such severe pain in my right shoulder that I couldn't sleep. I thought I had done serious damage. :shock: Not sure if I just over did it in the water, or if it was the driving. I'm a nervous passenger, so I spent many hours with a death grip on the overhead handle during our 2000+ mile adventure.

Funny thing was I had full range of motion, no weakness, and no swelling. Dr. took XRays, no damage, refered me to PT. By the time I got in to see the PT 90% of pain was gone. Now I'm working on excercises to stretch and realign shoulder and back. I'll have to give the Omega 3 a try.

When I told the Dr. I'd been surfing he told me, "You know you're getting older and surfing is a contact sport ..." Then he went on to recommend a stationary bike with a straight face. If pain wasn't enough to make me feel old, this little speech was doing the trick. :oops: Maybe it was the look on my face, but after a brief pause the doc tells me I should keep surfing if its something I enjoy. :D So on Doctor's oders I've been out a couple of times since without any major pain.
DrStrange

Post by DrStrange »

It's certainly helped my PMS, 'cept for that darn toxic bloat. Though maybe the bloat is from some other cause?
K-man

OMEGA 3

Post by K-man »

[yesterday]

Fresh caught salmon[chinook].filleted-kept the skin on,thats where the good stuff lives-pulled out the small bones.Hot skillet,olive oil[great stuff]crushed large clove of garlic.Skin side down,till almost done.Turn over-cook till fish separates easily,Don't want to overcook-just as well eat your shorts :lol:.Two three times a week through spring and fall.Fit as a fiddle-body chock full of omega-3s.
How'm I doing doc :?: Seeing as I'm a tad younger than you;91,and brought up old school-ya know-respect your elders-Think I'll make it to your age :?: :wink:
DrStrange

Post by DrStrange »

Think I'll make it to your age ?
Better start eating them fishies raw if yer a gonna, son.

Also, good idea to get your mercury levels checked. Not to mention PCB's and pesticide residue. Hate to be an old curmudgeon (you got to be old to know that word) but, it's a toxic world out there.

I had my fillings swapped out about 8 years ago. Last year finally tested the old mercury and had level of 19 micrograms per milligram of creatine in urine with a challenge test. Less than 3 is more or less considered safe. My wife had 28 I think. Did a bunch of stuff and just retested myself and scored 1.4 Nice. But my lead levels are still pretty damn high and so working on that still. My doc thinks the reason my thyroid quit on me was probably that was one of the places my body concentrated the mercury. Everyone is different. He did a study once; biopsied hearts of people with cardio-myopathy (poor buggers) and found mercury at 4,000 times the concentration of any other of same person's tissues. Those folk's bodies obviously put it there. So this is why I insist on 'moleculary distilled' fish oil caps. That's the only way to get the traces of industrial crap out, which tends to be fat soluble. U.S. brands I know that do this are Nordic Naturals, Spectrum, Health From the Sun, and I think Source Naturals. It should say on the lable, though Spectrum doesn't use that term, I checked with their tech people. Also, some companies aren't as careful as others about temp control during processing and if it heats up at all (Twin Labs hits 150 F.) you get heaps of trans fats, the bad guys. Also, you all know this next bit? don't eat farmed fish. The stress on them nearly eliminates the Omega 3's from their bods and they are instead rich in arachadonic acid. Also, the food they give them is concentrated bait fish pellets, loaded with the above mention industrial trace waste. Sigh. What a world.

Anyhoo, anti-aging is much more complex than back in the day, in old China when all you had to do was drink a few herbs, do some Qi Gong and not blow your wad. Ever. That's for the men. Women, now oragami was supposed to be good for them. Nowadays all bets are off.

I tell ya, getting old ain't for sissies. When you jump outta bed in the morning and your butt slaps you in the back of the legs, then you can talk to me about getting old. Chhhaaaak---patooie. Sorry, get a few lungers when your my age.

I guess I'm rambling. Getting senile. No good staying young in body and loosing your mind. Nor vis versa. Quack quack quack. Sorry, I'll stop now