Shoulders

With the averge age of the kneeboarder these days this area should be used to post issues on health matters (surfer's ear, knee surgery, stretches, etc).

Moderator: Moderator

red
Legend (Contribution King!)

Shoulders

Post by red »

I've always been pretty fit and a hard paddler. I recently went to Bali for 10 days and surfed my butt off (at least 3 hrs per day, but often 6-8). One day the guys reakoned i had paddled 20km!

Developed pain in shoulders, far over that good, tired feeling. Could not sleep, shoulders started clicking when I paddled, and got really weak.

I had developed "swimmers shoulder" - a rotator cuff problem from over use. I have spent weeks with a physio, restricted surfing to 1-2 hrs per week, and done a range of exercises to strengthen up the opposing muscles to the rotator cuff ones. I have had to permanently change my paddling stroke so there is less extension and rotation of the shoulder (I now have this half-assed wide, short stroke) and gone on a diet of omega three tabs (to lubricate the joints).

So, if you have tenderness in the shoulders, clicking when you paddle, or pain when you lift your arms over your head, see a physio (general practitioners don't seem to have sufficient expertise - they just recommend rest, ice etc.) and start eating fish at least twice a week.
Jon Manss

Red

Post by Jon Manss »

Ah Red, Have you tried using fins? Jon
red

Not pure

Post by red »

Jon,
I'm not one of those freak purists that doesn't believe in fins. Been working on the perfect kneeboarding fin which, as you know, is different to a bodyboard or swimfn.

Yeah, I now lay off the back and fin out if there's a rip (It's all engines firing if I'm paddling out through the break). I'm trying to build up some fitness for this. Even tho I've used fins for the past 30 years, this is more finning than I'm used to.

With fins we can get the board on a plane in almost flat water. Then we hop up and double arm into the wave. The mals are pretty surprised that someone can outpaddle them!

My boards are all 6' and over, so they paddle pretty well, but I'm having trouble coming to terms with the aging process!
Jon Manss

red

Post by Jon Manss »

Ofcourse you know I was joking. Whatever floats your boat. I ride a 5' 4" and can line up with the long boarders if I want. And will be buried with my duck feet. Jon
surfhorn

Post by surfhorn »

Jon - Everyone will throw Duck Feet on the water instead of leis at your funeral ! lol

Remember when you could pick up a pair of 'blemished' Duck Feet for $8?
kbing since plywood days

Post by Guest »

I also have clicking in my shoulder (crepidis) and suffered a rotator cuff problem that lasted for several years. It hurt so bad that I had to sit on ailse seats at the movies and on planes. I finally got an MRI and contemplated surgery, and my doctor told me I had impingment syndrome.
I injured it during 16 years of competative swimming, surfing and doing exercise dips.
I met a chiropractor during a class, and he suggested that I take glucosamine sulfate for three months. I decided to try it and got amazing results. My shoulder still clicks, but I have 100%

Post by Guest »

trength and no pain. Give it a try and good luck!!
doc
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

shoulders

Post by doc »

I've used a Glucosamine/Chondroitin mix and I really can't say whether it works or not, given that I was also doing exercises to strengthen a torn up shoulder at the same time. The advantages of hanging out with a friend who is a professional athletic trainer.

Also, aspirin and ice helped ( and still do - joys of being blue-collar ) a great deal.

May I suggest http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/tutorials.html and
http://www.physsportsmed.com/issues/199 ... loosli.htm for a little reference.

Eating a lot of fish, though...... that sounds like a good idea for a number of reasons, not least of which is simple gustatory delight.

best

doc
surfhorn

Post by surfhorn »

I tore a muscle in my shoulder about a year and a half ago when longboarding on the first swell of the Fall in 2002. Needless to say, there went my winter surf season.

I went the physical theraoy route, opting out of surgery since they would only 'guarantee' me only about 80% usage after the operation....not very good odds in my book. I used the rubber band stretch method religiously and have built my shoulder back to just shy of 100%.

Because of this shoulder injury, it was the reason I gave KBing another try - after another doctor told me to stop wearing swim fins and kbing due to my thrashed ankle joint. After working on rebuilding my ankle and my shoulder, I'm back on a KB and lovin' life. Standup is fun - but once a KBer, always a KBer.

Maybe we need a web page on this site where we can all post our x-rays/MRIs.
kbing since plywood days
DarcyM

Old bodies ..

Post by DarcyM »

I had a rotatator cuff injury (shoulder) on a particularly big day at Swamis. I had to duck dive in the impact zone to try to keep from getting run over by a couple of longboarders on the same wave ... I got under the lip and went deep but the power of the wave tore the board out of my hands while I was underneath it and injured my shoulder. That was at least four years ago, and it didn't really affect my paddling since I rely more on legs and quick bursts of arm padding. But there was a time when I had no throwing strength at all (no more softball for me) and it would hurt a lot when playing volleyball and hitting or overhand serving.

But I've been using Glucosamine/Chondritin/MSM pretty regularly since last year, mostly for chronic knee pain and arthritis (skiing injuries). My knees still hurt, but I did two volleyball double headers this week and realized that my shoulder doesn't hurt at all. Maybe I'll be able to oil up the softball glove again ...

Weird thing about chronic pain, you get so used to it that sometimes you don't notice when it goes away ...

it still sucks getting old, though.
dm
dm

"Push the button, Max!"
Flexman

Post by Flexman »

Last edited by Flexman on Sun Apr 30, 2006 10:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
quadfin

Post by quadfin »

My father, who is 89 and reguarly shoots his age playing golf, recently went to the Dr. for a checkup. His regular Doc wasn't in and a young MD gave him his physical. The MD asked him if he had any pains and he simply told him " I am old and supposed to hurt, that's how I know I am alive every morning".

My Dad asked the MD for his regular Cortisone shot which allows him to walk and play golf. The MD replied that he was having too many cortisone injections and that he was concerned about the long term affects of the drug. My Dad replied "when you are 89 you don't worry about the long term affects of anything...give me my shot".

It seems we are all having similar problems, probably related to long term physical activity. I am just glad I can still paddle out at my age.
Surf Hard Live Slow
surfhorn

Post by surfhorn »

Darcy - Maybe its time to give up the brutal land sports. All the pounding on the joints takes a toll. Save yourself for the gracious art of kneegboarding!
kbing since plywood days
DavidW

Post by DavidW »

Quadfin, your dad is a legend. He's still charging when most guy's have already pulled back. You should buy him dinner once a week.
quadfin

Post by quadfin »

My business takes me back home every few months and get to see him. I think he is just warming up to me being a surfer.
Surf Hard Live Slow