Anyone need help with fitness

With the averge age of the kneeboarder these days this area should be used to post issues on health matters (surfer's ear, knee surgery, stretches, etc).

Moderator: Moderator

dannyh
Grom (25 or less posts to site)

Anyone need help with fitness

Post by dannyh »

If you like just ask a fitness question if you need help to gain fitness ill see what i can do to help .

my back ground is in martial arts ,personal trainer,fitness consultant.
if i dont no ill look it up for you & tell you where to find it if you need to .

anything on fitness is ok to ask .

thanx for your time guys.

dan.

When all said n done it's all about fun.
no no I just take out the trash.
Man O' War
Legend (Contribution King!)

Rowing Machines

Post by Man O' War »

Dr. Dan,
Thanks for offering your expertise. I have a question.

Skullers look like they get a pretty grueling workout, almost on a par with running stadium stairs as far as the heart goes. My doctor happens to be on a rowing team, and he got me wondering about rowing machines. I have no experience with them. How good would a daily 30-60 min. workout be on one of those for the heart and also for the muscles we use in the water?

MW
doc
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

Re: Rowing Machines

Post by doc »

Man O' War wrote:Dr. Dan,
Thanks for offering your expertise. I have a question.

Skullers look like they get a pretty grueling workout, almost on a par with running stadium stairs as far as the heart goes. My doctor happens to be on a rowing team, and he got me wondering about rowing machines. I have no experience with them. How good would a daily 30-60 min. workout be on one of those for the heart and also for the muscles we use in the water?

MW
Let me respond to that, if I may. I row, now and again when injuries from other things don't keep me from it. And it is indeed a workout, plus it's a kind of zen fun, maximum power exerted with a skill and grace that...well, I like the poetry of it.

As far as a workout, I would have to say it's well above stadium runs. Uses more muscles without the impact. I have heard that a 20 minute run is the equivalent of 12 minutes of rowing at an equivalent level.

Having said that..... there is rowing and there is rowing on machines. And there are rowing machines and rowing machines.

There are the Precors and the equivalent, the shock-absorber types as I call them...and they are absolute garbage. Two levers on what look like shock absorbers and a sliding seat and they just don't cut it.

And then there are ergometers. The ones I would suggest are the Concept IIs (www.concept2.com) which will give you a pretty good workout and train you up pretty well.

Also, try http://www.row2k.com/, run by Ed Hewitt, rower, surfer and a hell of a nice guy. Look for the club listings and such, there may be one near you where you could give it a try. Rowers love to get other people into it. Beware

doc............
DarcyM

Rowers

Post by DarcyM »

I actually tried the Concept II ergometer for the first time today, 10 minutes at level 5 post-wt workout and kept a pace of about 29 spm. It was a pretty good workout and the machine is very smooth. I don't think I could have gone 30 min, but I'd already been working out for about an hour. I think I'll put the rower in as part of my cardio, though.

I've got so many aches and pains these days ... knee, elbow (tendonitis), lower back ... it's getting hard to find some exercise that doesn't hurt! The rower seemed to be a good bet! Still, I'd rather actually be on the water than in the gym. If time and money allows, maybe I'll get that kayak some day.

dm
dm

"Push the button, Max!"
doc

Post by doc »

Hi Darcy;

Having done surf skis, kayaks and finally rowing shells........

do try a shell if you get a chance. Kayaks and surf skis are hell on the shoulders, elbows and lower back, even with good technique. The shells are not and there are deals to be found on used ones.

Some nice open water singles...

http://www.maasboats.com/aero.htm

http://www.sculling.com/ ( check out the Dolphin )

and then you got http://www.pocock.com/woodboat.htm ...if you ever wanted a Stradivarius, well, there you go.

Good used boats can be found cheap. Lash your kneeboard to the deck, tuck the fins in somewhere and a bag of lunch and you're set for some of those out-of-the-way spots that cars can't get to.

doc.........
dannyh

fitness

Post by dannyh »

:D hi guys .

Ok hear we go . This is gona be a point that has the health dep up in arms at the moment (physio) now fact : rowing at a gym is nothing like rowing on the water Reason : you dont need to use any support muscles to hold you upas you have the stability of the ground (it dont move under ya like a cross swell) .

So rowing on machines isnt that good for surfers it is exelent for rowers to work on tech type stuff.
Now we are surfers so for starters we are at a totaly different angle to that of a rower (we lay down, they sit up) so when we talk about sport re hab we try to get the people to do the closest xersize to that of what they normaly do this helps with the muscle memory (dont get as tired).

So with all that said what about the surfer .
surfing (constant injurys are , shoulder,lower back ,neck. just as a basic)
lets start with back. now we have muscles in our body that are called support muscles they help hold our insides in place & give us something called "CORE STRENGTH" this is the most important type of strength i think you can have .

So if you have drama with your back (lower) try this .
(1) lay on floor.
(2) do hyper extension for 10 to 20 secs(lay on stomach try to pick up just your arms & bend in the middle like a seal) .
this exercize helps with strength in your back as a support muscle .
-----------------------------
next.
(1) lay on a flat bench at the gym or home make sure you can paddel as u would on a kneelo .
(2) grab a 2kg dumbell in each hand start "SLOW!!!!" paddel for about 1 min then have a rest for about 30secs then paddel; for 2min then rest for about 1min now try to paddel for about 4min this will blow out your shoulders big time after a to week training time on this you will notice the difference in your ability to get the hard wave (you will paddel a kneelo like its a mal) .

aftre you are use to doing this just up the time for more endurince (u want to surf for 6hrs u need endurince ) .

now as for cardio the closest thing to kneelo is swiming do some lape youll be supprised how much diff it will make .

if ya cant swim to good it will help ya there to
or you could do some cycling thats good for the cardio & guess what it helps kneelos outa sight (how i hear u say ) legs my friend do hills on a bike for about 4wks & u will kick like a man posessed .have a go at some of the things that ive said remember that if you cheet on exercize you are only fooling your selfe .of course consult ya doctor before undertaking any form of exercize/cardio.

the above (workout ) was & still is used buy some of the top surfers in the world today (mostly ausies).

hope some of this helps dudes i no it helped me outa sight .

dan

when all said n done its all about fun.
Man O' War

Rowing Machine

Post by Man O' War »

Dan,
Thanks for the explanation. I've got my bench, barbells and bike ready to go, and you saved me a couple thousand bucks.

MW
dannyh

fitness

Post by dannyh »

hey just glad to help .

ill post a workout so you can try it it gives u full strength n all that good stuff . remember to go at your own pace with all workouts guys .

thanx dan.

when all said n done its all about fun.
dannyh

fitness

Post by dannyh »

back again heare is the work out that i was talking about this is for overall strength .

CHEST,SHOULDER'S,TRYCEP'S = bench press . lower the bar to your nipple line without bouncing the bar of your chestor lifting ya but of the bench push it back up make sure that you are in control of the weight at all times .

UPPER CHEST,SHOULDER'S,TRYCEP'S= Incline bench press do this bacicly the same as the first one only bring the bar down to your color bone insted.

UPPER BACK(LATS N TRAPS) REAR SHOULDER'S,BICEPS= Barbell bent over rows . stand with barbell at your feet bend at the hips so your chest is parallel with the floor feet shoulder width apart .pick up the barbell till it touches your chest now dont let this weight touch the floor till you have compleeted the set .

BACK,SHOULDERS,ARMS= front lat pull downs (cable)pull the bar to your colorbone then slowly let it up .

TRYCEP'S=seated over head trycep extensions.
sit on a bench with feet firmly on floor .
basicily you get the dumbell hold it on 1 side (so you are holding 1 of the ends) in boath hands pick it up over your head then let it down behind your head n pick it up again try to only use your tryceps not bicep &trycep .

BICEPS, FOREARMS =seated dumbell curls slowly curl the weight in your left hand .as the dumbell passes your thy twist your hand & wrist rotating your thumb outward .for added benifit flex your bicep at the top lower the weight slowley revercing the rotation on the way down & repet on the other side .

SHOULDERS,TRYCEPS= seated military press . sit on bench pick up barbell to chest height then push up so as to get nealy a full arm streach then bring the weight down to your chest height & do it again.

SHOULDERS,UPPERBACK,BICEPS,FOREARMS.= upright rows. stand with barbell in boath hands with a narrow grip . arms fully extended down in front of you the barbell at your upper thy's allow your shoulders to relax slightly but keep your back straight pull the barbell straight up & tuck it under your chin your elbows should be pointing up n out hold briefly then lower the weight .

QUADS,HIPS,BUTTOX,BACK,CALVES= squats (BAD FOR KNEES!!!!!!) I MISS THIS ONE OUT AS I KICK WITH FINS ON .

LOWER BACK,HAMSTRINGS,BUTOX.= stiff legged dead lifts basicly put the barbell on the floor in front of you bend a bit at the knees pick up said bar thats it .

Now of corse you would start of slow & with a light weight or ya gona HURT YA SELFE!!!! so remember this is for all over strength do 3 sets of 8 lifts for each exercize if you cant then just do some (what you can ) the important bit is that you start to use the muscle groups for what they were made for. muscles do 2 things they either push or pull so lets break it right down. in the water we pull with our arms so trycep's ,n shoulder is what we use when we kick we use quads,calves .so some light squats or stair work is good for this (try climbimg a set of 50 stairs 3 sets of 8 times ) you will see what i meen .this is just a basic thing to folow you can add to it whatever you like hyper extentions are the go for lower back rehab work just take it easy & if some thing hurts (you no the feeling) then stop dont do it till it's healed this is just so you can have more fun out in the water .use a sensible weight to do these workouts with its not an ego thing .

sorry about the length of it (& spelling )
thanx dudes . dan

when all said n done its all about fun ..
DrStrange

bikes and Pilated

Post by DrStrange »

New guy on board. Howdy all. Just coming out of "retirement" after torn cartilage (snowboarding) and 2 surgeries and lot of rehab. so here's a couple hot tips from a broken down old dude who is no longer broken down, just an old dude!

Bikes: Use low gears/high rpm. Esp on hills but really always. Spin at least 60 rpm. Lower revs feel like your working harder but you are risking damage to connective tissue. Higer revs just works the muscles and is great for rehabing damaged knees and cardio as well as power up your kick

Pilates: classes cost $ and a poor instructor can screw you up and if you get into the machines your stuck with the class/teacher or buying hella expensive stuff. BUT there is a whole bunch of Pilates mat work that requires zero equipment. Some in books and there's videos. Thing is Pilates was developed originally for rehabing people with bad backs. Its helped me immensly with sciactic nerve pain and low back pain. Also builds deep core strength for better posture and balance and control under G-force turns and in turbulance over chop etc.
"If everything is under control, you're going too slow!" --Mario Andretti
dannyh

fitness

Post by dannyh »

nice point dude pilates is 1 of the best things to get into as rehab work .
also the swisse ball (fit ball ) is good to build core strength when ya have no pain try to sit on a swisse ball on ya knees like a kneelo that will test your stabelizers out a heap .

some surfers use this as a work out to gain better balance in the surf .
give it ago but hang on to somthing first then slowly let go till its just you .

alll the best dude.

when all said n done its all about fun
fooj

Ball

Post by fooj »

Dan,
The Fitness balls come in different sizes yeah? What is a good size to have for kneelo purposes? Thanks, Jeff.
bongbong
dannyh

fitness

Post by dannyh »

jeff the swisse balls do come in diferent sizes & even shapes .
i feel the best one is the ball shape (not the log ) .
as for size i reckon big is best they do have an anti burst rating on them .
i have a 75cm ball that has a rating of 105kg meening that you can be upto 105kg on that ball & be safe . so the best way to judge is find out what weight you are then get the ball that is in your weight zone (or just go for the bigest ball ya can get ) i think they go 65cm,75cm,85cm,95,cm . the only reason i have a 75cm is thats all i could get at the time but it works good anyway .

dan

when all said n done its all about fun .