LEG (CALF) CRAMPS

With the averge age of the kneeboarder these days this area should be used to post issues on health matters (surfer's ear, knee surgery, stretches, etc).

Moderator: Moderator

KED
Local (More than 25 post)

LEG (CALF) CRAMPS

Post by KED »

Anyone else get cramps in your calf muscle(s)? Does anyone know of a warm up stretch for calf muscles that can be done before getting into the water? Anything you can do when it's happening while you are in the water? These things can cut a session real short, real fast. :evil:
Be who you are and say what you feel.
The people who mind don't matter, and the people who matter don't mind.
KAVA
Legend (Contribution King!)

Post by KAVA »

i find that i get less cramps in my calves if i drink some sports drink before i go in the water.

A good way to stretch the vulnerable leg muscles is to stand, without shoes, two or three feet from a wall. With arms straight, place your hands against the wall. Now keeping your feet flat on the floor, bend your arms until you feel a moderate pulling sensation in the leg muscles. Stop and hold this position for ten seconds. Rest about six seconds between stretches. Repeat this six to ten times before and after exercise and before you go to bed.

Relief. To relieve a cramp, gently stretch the affected muscle. Hold the muscle in a stretched position until it relaxes, and the cramp does not recur when returned to the un-stretched position. Once the muscle relaxes, massage the area. Standing, walking or just pulling the toes toward the knee(i do this one if i get cramps while kneeboarding)) is sometimes enough stretching to relieve a leg cramp. In addition, applying ice or heat to the area for a few minutes while stretching may help.
"Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air… "
-Ralph Waldo Emerson
6'1", dean cleary tri, 6'0 Flashpoint tri, 5'9 chuck dent (epoxy quad), 9' velzy (single fin triple stringer)
Markem

Leg cramps

Post by Markem »

I used to get these during every long session. Now I make sure to eat at least one banana (Potassium),minimize the caffeine intake (this is very important), and drink a bottle of water. I don't get them anymore if I follow this, even without stretching this works for me.
Of course a coulple of Ibuprofen before the session will do the same thing. But too much of that's not good for your stomach.

Stay wet,
Mark
Beeline2.0

Re: Leg cramps

Post by Beeline2.0 »

Last edited by Beeline2.0 on Thu Feb 28, 2008 11:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Damien o

calf cramps

Post by Damien o »

Great advice from Kava :) I too have suffered from these cramps. Someone once told me to walk backwards when cramp strikes in the lower leg - I have found this works quickly and effectively. Not so good if you are in the water but there are other recommendations in this topic to help you.

I had always had cramps. One of the major "fixes" to my cramps was changing fins. If you don't wear fins, great :) use the other recommendations in this topic otherwise, can I recommend your review the fins you are using ?

If this is only a recent occurence, then investigate other changes or patterns that may have changed :) Good luck
KED

Post by KED »

Was talking about this (cramps) with someone in the lineup several months ago. He suggested drinking a 20oz bottle of a "sports drink" before surfing. I tried it and have been doing it ever since. No cramps, better endurance, longer sessions. I've been drinking the Gatorade Rain (not as sweet/syrupy tasting as the regular Gatorade). Costco sells it by the case. Knudsen's Recharge is also good... a little more expensive though.
scoop

Post by scoop »

KED
Look at the same post started in 04
viewtopic.php?t=884
good luck
Tony
Love that "greenroom" feeling...(don't panic I finally found it)..... good ole' winki on a good day
AquaBob

Leg cramps

Post by AquaBob »

It does seem that leg cramps are what end my kneeboard sessions but I do agree with the others that Hydration be it Sportdrinks or just H2O will help increase the time you are in the water. I also started taking a calcium tablet before my session which has also helped. I really have a hard time getting out of the water once I am in but I think if I did just to down a bottle of water it would really help. Just a thought. AB
KED

Post by KED »

Scoop... '04... just looked at that... interesting.
martin

Post by martin »

Sports drinks are good but very saturated with sugar - try plenty of stretching, water and bananas - potassium in bananas relieves cramps - look at Tennis players, every break sip of drink and nibble on a banana (this is especially fun when Sharapova does it :wink: )
Bob

Post by Bob »

All good stuff. If you are in the water and you feel like cramps may be coming on, reach down and grab your flippers while sitting on your board and pull back towards the knee while straightening the leg. This will stretch the calf and hamstring and extend your session for quite some time. Do it as many times as is needed.
Wheelo
Grom (25 or less posts to site)
Grom (25 or less posts to site)

cramps

Post by Wheelo »

thanks guys.. i'll lay-off the coffee... try the sports drink...
many a good secession cut short ... by one, or both calfs cramping !

Grabbing the tip of fin and stretching does help.... but only delays
the onset...

I eat bananna every AM ...

cold water ... another factor..

- M

:mrgreen:
- Mark

~~ Surf'n Cali Since 1973 ~~
SCGARY

Post by SCGARY »

KAVA wrote:i find that i get less cramps in my calves if i drink some sports drink before i go in the water.

A good way to stretch the vulnerable leg muscles is to stand, without shoes, two or three feet from a wall. With arms straight, place your hands against the wall. Now keeping your feet flat on the floor, bend your arms until you feel a moderate pulling sensation in the leg muscles. Stop and hold this position for ten seconds. Rest about six seconds between stretches. Repeat this six to ten times before and after exercise and before you go to bed.

Relief. To relieve a cramp, gently stretch the affected muscle. Hold the muscle in a stretched position until it relaxes, and the cramp does not recur when returned to the un-stretched position. Once the muscle relaxes, massage the area. Standing, walking or just pulling the toes toward the knee(i do this one if i get cramps while kneeboarding)) is sometimes enough stretching to relieve a leg cramp. In addition, applying ice or heat to the area for a few minutes while stretching may help.
All the above is correct, BUT, do not do it unless you have warmed the muscles first thru some exercise. "Cold Stretching" can actually cause microtears and make you more prone to cramps and muscle pulls, and do NOT use ice while stretching, heat yes , ice no. If you have a really bad cramp you should ice it after to keep from swelling.
Riq dekneelo
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

Post by Riq dekneelo »

I've found pinching my upper lip,sides to the middle, stimulates the meridians eases the cramp. Acupressure point. :D then do all the other stuff, stretches etc.
Riq de(Carvalho) Kneelo
change the only constant or the board is not the limitation
CONTIKI

Post by CONTIKI »

Riq dekneelo wrote:I've found pinching my upper lip,sides to the middle, stimulates the meridians eases the cramp. Acupressure point. :D then do all the other stuff, stretches etc.
SHE CALLS THAT FOREPLAY :oops:
*WAVES ARE OF THE ESSENCE*
5 SUMMER STORIES