LEG (CALF) CRAMPS

With the averge age of the kneeboarder these days this area should be used to post issues on health matters (surfer's ear, knee surgery, stretches, etc).

Moderator: Moderator

cali_chick
Grom (25 or less posts to site)
Grom (25 or less posts to site)

Post by cali_chick »

There have been several theories about why they occur, including low blood sugar, dehydration, salt imbalances after sweating and either extreme heat or cold, poor flexibility and tight muscles but here are a few tips I picked up for this,

1. Warm up rather than only stretch before hitting the water, like ride a bike or take a jog beforehand.
2. Drink up the water but don’t over-hydrate, I also agree to take it easy on anything that may have a diuretic effect on your body like coffee, tea, alcohol etc
3. The sports drinks will help if you have an electrolyte imbalance which can cause cramps.
4. If you wear fins they keep your toes pointed which isn’t their natural position and can cause strain. Can’t help you there, most of us wear fins.
5. Neuromuscular Therapy – a specific massage technique to identify and ease trigger points your body may have that are prone to cramping
6. I’m also a big fan of acupressure techniques and the lip bite does work for a lot of people

Again no one knows for sure but try out a few and see what works for you. Best of luck!
:)
~a simple girl with simple passions; hand me my board, get out of my way.~
Beeline2.0
Legend (Contribution King!)

Post by Beeline2.0 »

Last edited by Beeline2.0 on Fri Feb 29, 2008 12:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bill E.
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

Post by Bill E. »

2. Drink up the water but don’t over-hydrate, I also agree to take it easy on anything that may have a diuretic effect on your body like coffee, tea, alcohol etc
3. The sports drinks will help if you have an electrolyte imbalance which can cause cramps.
I like to keep my drinks on the beach or in the van :lol:

Alot of times lately when I first feel the calf or leg tighten up I just grab a few gulps of what there is in front of me. As long as the water is clean and its cold it should be good. Somehow the salt content gives instant relief.
Cars come and go, VW's live and breathe

Surfers come and go, Kneeboarders live and breed
Jacksquid
Local (More than 25 post)
Local (More than 25 post)

Not getting cramps these days...(knock on wood)

Post by Jacksquid »

Good suggestions here, but I have found a new ally - arm power. I have moved forward on my board and use long deep arm strokes almost exclusively to access waves and rarely use my flippers now, except for trim and minor assistance. This is a breakthrough for me and I am considering go flipperless. I used to kick HARD and would get killer cramps upon popping up, so maybe technique has something to do with cramps as well. I am not an expert here, but I have had many a surf session cut short by calf (and even hamstring) cramps. Good luck. Do whatever works.

jacksquid
skansand

Post by skansand »

oh beeline, i wont be staying in my motorhome down there....so ill need someplace to put the beer!!! :o

you got your newy yet?....post a pic!!!
Tide is the master, tide can be a disaster...-Dub side of the Moon
K-man

Post by K-man »

Another possible reason for calf cramps[I don't wear flippers]In the prone position the legs[mine anyways] are slightly raised off the deck,putting pressure on the lower leg area.After a few hrs that pressure may turn into calf cramps.Devising a kind of roll bar behind the rear pad,which will slightly raise the feet off the deck and act as a kind of foot resting area,taking the pressure off the legs,and hopefully slowing down the cramping

cheers.
CONTIKI

Post by CONTIKI »

Beeline2.0 wrote:Hey Contiki, you going to be at the Oceanside contest.
Hear there will be several motorhomes and trailers full
of free beer at the contest site.
"F R E E . B E E R"

No, Doing the 'Family Guy' thing... :(
*WAVES ARE OF THE ESSENCE*
5 SUMMER STORIES
southpeakbrad

Post by southpeakbrad »

Hey Squid,

Great report! Stoked to see you've kept at it. Today I got a couple of cramps and wished I could've just handed off my fins. Fortunately they resolved. I've got finless more this year than any prior. Only when it's small but it's been really fun when I've done it.

See ya! Brad
W.G. Facenda

Post by W.G. Facenda »

I feel really great without flippers at Big canyon days at Blacks. I like the freedom it gives me.I really like the feeling you guys should try it. Just turn around mid- face and spread your wings. :D
CONTIKI

Post by CONTIKI »

W.G. Facenda wrote:I feel really great without flippers at Big canyon days at Blacks. I like the freedom it gives me.I really like the feeling you guys should try it. Just turn around mid- face and spread your wings. :D
Great without flippers, you should thigh, I mean try it without your trunks!!!
Isn't Blacks a nude beach???
[albumimg]10427[/albumimg]
5 SUMMER STORIES
CONTIKI

Post by CONTIKI »

LEG CRAMPS???
I THOUGHT YOU SAID LEG CRABS!!! :oops:
5 SUMMER STORIES
knee_boarder

Re: Not getting cramps these days...(knock on wood)

Post by knee_boarder »

Jacksquid wrote:I used to kick HARD and would get killer cramps upon popping up
I suffer from that big time, I was wondering if it was a wetsuit issue (bunching up behind the knee perhaps?) or just general lack of fitness.

any one got any cures (I'm not sure whether other people are wearing wetsuits or are lucky enough not to need them!)?
KneeBumps

Post by KneeBumps »

I started in on the leg cramps syndrome Sat AM- had the usual problem- drove all morning, drinking coffee to stay awake, then started hydrating with water less than an hour before hitting it. Started cramping up after about 2 hrs, had a bottle of my wife's fav water that has electrolytes but no sugar or flavoring. Worked amazingly well- within a half hour I was surfing again, no problems the whole rest of the day. I'm sold, although next time I'll drink it FIRST.
"All I want in this life of mine is some good clean fun
All I want in this life and time is some hit and run"
Lowell George
KenM

Post by KenM »

Recently heard/read that olympic swimmers are taking bicarbonate of soda capsules (baking soda) as the latest "performance enhancing substance". The article inclded some mumbo jumbo about the bicarb increasing the alkaline content of the blood buffering the lactic acid that causes muscle cramps. Salty stuff.
Scott

Post by Scott »

Baking soda...thanks for the tip, Ken. I'll give it a try and let you know how it works for me.