LEG (CALF) CRAMPS

With the averge age of the kneeboarder these days this area should be used to post issues on health matters (surfer's ear, knee surgery, stretches, etc).

Moderator: Moderator

rooster
Legend (Contribution King!)

Post by rooster »

Potasium powder works well you can get it at GNC or any health food store. Bitter as hell but....
Smokin Rock

Post by Smokin Rock »

how about Midol?
"This sucks more than anything that has ever sucked before." Butt-head
GRAYMAN
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

Post by GRAYMAN »

Drink some tonic water before you go in. Has Quinine in it which is used in hospitals to treat cramp. I've not had cramp since starting this and you don't have to have all the other crap in Sports Drinks. The strestching advice is good. I also do 30 mins stretching a day regardless of whether I'm surfing.

G
rooster

Post by rooster »

The tonic water idea is excellant :!: with its secret ingrediant of quinine it should also help with malaria :shock: I tend to mix mine with gin, but that is only after5:00 pm :o in the winter its dark by then so no one can see how bad I surf :lol: I also use 2 olives for their nutritional value :P
GRAYMAN

Post by GRAYMAN »

rooster wrote:The tonic water idea is excellant :!: with its secret ingrediant of quinine it should also help with malaria :shock: I tend to mix mine with gin, but that is only after5:00 pm :o in the winter its dark by then so no one can see how bad I surf :lol: I also use 2 olives for their nutritional value :P
Mmmmmmm... I do love a G 'n' T!

The tonic water works in the UK in the winter when it's F*CKIN cold! That's when I get my worst cramps.

G
Scott

Post by Scott »

If you want quinine in a greater dose than in a bottle of quinine water (plus downin' a whole bottle makes you have to pee during your session) you can get a prescription for quinine tablets (at least in the U.S. it can no longer be sold over the counter. Seems about 5% of those who take it have an adverse reaction, such as falling asleep at the wheel). I have had my doctor write out a prescription with no problem. I just told her it was vital to my staying physically active--she was always in favor of that and wrote me a refill whenever I asked. Two tablets would do well before a surf. And I never got malaria, either!

I use the past tense "asked" because I have gotten away from using quinine at all, just going with bananas/potassium instead. Has about the same advantageous effect of warding off cramps for about 2 hours in cold water. Beyond that, I have to be stretching all the time in the water to keep the cramps away.
I'm not influenced by the past; I change it!
GRAYMAN

Post by GRAYMAN »

Scott wrote:makes you pee.
Are you saying you don't wee in the water? That's a vital part of staying wam over here mate!

G
rooster

Post by rooster »

Grayman

It's very warm in San Jose, so maybe its not a strategy up there. personaly, I down a large cup of coffee before a morning sesh for the express purpose of a mid session warm up :lol:
GRAYMAN

Post by GRAYMAN »

rooster wrote:Grayman

It's very warm in San Jose, so maybe its not a strategy up there. personaly, I down a large cup of coffee before a morning sesh for the express purpose of a mid session warm up :lol:
Ahhh... A man after my own heart. The best thing about weeing in your wetsuit is you can guarantee a set will come mid-flow. I actually use it as a way to charm waves these days. :oops:

G
rooster

Post by rooster »

ROFLMAO

Never thought of of it from that angle :shock: Not sure how much beer its going to take to get THAT picture out of my mind :P
KLHK
Grom (25 or less posts to site)
Grom (25 or less posts to site)

Post by KLHK »

eat seeweed and drink lots of water.....
GRAYMAN

Post by GRAYMAN »

KLHK wrote:eat seeweed and drink lots of water.....
Does that charm waves too?

:wink:
alfredo zavala

Post by alfredo zavala »

Nice to see another idea for avoiding the dreaded calf cramp.
I seem to always have a problem with these and nothing has seemed to work all the time.
In fact last time I surfed I got a really bad cramp and I thought to myself that there has got to be another solution.
So, tonic water it is.
Thanks all
rooster

Post by rooster »

Capt.

That DOES work :shock: I talked to a guy that does tow-ins at 2' Tourmaline on a long board and he says he NEVER gets cramps :lol:
rooster

Post by rooster »

dont pee

Ever had your hand dunked in warm water when your passed out :roll: gotta change your shorts :!: