LEG (CALF) CRAMPS

With the averge age of the kneeboarder these days this area should be used to post issues on health matters (surfer's ear, knee surgery, stretches, etc).

Moderator: Moderator

KenM
Legend (Contribution King!)

Post by KenM »

Scott, I recommend drinking plenty of water with it as it will make you thirsty.
KEL
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

Post by KEL »

KenM wrote:Recently heard/read that olympic swimmers are taking bicarbonate of soda capsules (baking soda) as the latest "performance enhancing substance". The article inclded some mumbo jumbo about the bicarb increasing the alkaline content of the blood buffering the lactic acid that causes muscle cramps. Salty stuff.
WHAT, your breathing to much smoke :? :? :? ...........Ah just kidding Ken, dream cure for heartburn as well!!! KEL
KenM

Post by KenM »

Kel, your right about the smoke, but it's been a great excuse for not going to the gym, cough cough. :wink:
KEL

Post by KEL »

Scott, just be careful, ton of sodium in it (salt)...1280 mg per tsp :shock: :shock: , potasium from what I understand is the key to cramps (lack of that is)....eat lots of bananas and water!!!!! KEL
stretch too
gumby

Post by gumby »

KneeBumps wrote:I started in on the leg cramps syndrome Sat AM- had the usual problem- drove all morning, drinking coffee to stay awake, then started hydrating with water less than an hour before hitting it. Started cramping up after about 2 hrs, had a bottle of my wife's fav water that has electrolytes but no sugar or flavoring. Worked amazingly well- within a half hour I was surfing again, no problems the whole rest of the day. I'm sold, although next time I'll drink it FIRST.
There is no magic here more the 1/2hr brake. :idea: We old farts need to take naps. :lol:

Baking soda :?: :?: Really ....there are other white powders :twisted:
To do what I want to do
I have to do what have to do

Craig
Mark Ramirez

Post by Mark Ramirez »

Kel, You are right on the money! Potasium is the key. I eat a couple bananas before I go surfing. I haven't had any cramping in a long time. You also have to stay hydrated with lots of water. Guys, ever hear of osmosis. If you've ever taken a long bath or shower, when you finally get out, the skin on your hands looks old and like a prune. The water and electrolytes in our bodies leave through our skin. ( a semipermial membrane). :o
Mark Ramirez

Post by Mark Ramirez »

Yes Grasshopper!
gumby

Post by gumby »

Yes KEL Bananas and water are great. I grab a breakfast burrito on my way to the beach. :) I have a 45min+ drive. :roll: That solid food really helps. What you have for dinner the night before is a big factor. Heart rate is another factor. A sprint to catch the wave vs. a few hard strokes can have a effect. Remember to breathe. That may sound funny but it is a skill. My trainer is always telling me to breath during workouts.
To do what I want to do
I have to do what have to do

Craig
frankfqr

cramps

Post by frankfqr »

Conditioning, retaining muscle mass to take it on, and streching, to increase elasticity, goes along way. I prefer AIS- Active Isolated Stretching-, hold the stretch for 2-3 seconds, then repeat. Doesn't give the body enough time to load up the muscle on lactic acid. I highly reccomend a search of AIS for info., for those of you that stretch. It's great stuff......
KenM

Post by KenM »

Thanks Frank, very interesting, probably work good while sitting in the lineup.
Here's a link: www.stretchingusa.com
Be sure to check out #9: stretching the ankles and lower leg. If this doesn't help I'm gonna try Midol.
red

Post by red »

Remember to breathe
Breathe in for 10, out for 20. Pause between.

The old heavy breathing thing (big breaths*) is actually poor for exercise - it lowers the rate of exchange of CO2, so you end up dizzy and less functional - less O2 gets absorbed in the lungs and diffused through the blood.

By exhaling completely in sipping air in you promote better / more efficient O2/CO2 exchange.
Yogis can make one breath stretch over several minutes (Matt G?), but a few seconds iswhat for most of us can manage.

*OT:
Doctor: Big breaths
Girl: Yeth, and I'm only thirteen
dua anjing

Post by dua anjing »

I'm with KEL on this one my legs used cramp up at the drop of a hat when I'm cold , don't even have to in the water. I have noticed a dramtic improvment since I start taking a potassium supplement.
I live in my own little world, But it's OK they know me there.
budgie

Post by budgie »

magnesium
will stop the cramps dead in their tracks a tablet b4 you go surfing no matter how cold the water is
CONTIKI

Post by CONTIKI »

gumby wrote:
KneeBumps wrote:
There is no magic here more the 1/2hr brake. :idea: We old farts need to take naps. :lol:

Baking soda :?: :?: Really ....there are other white powders :twisted:
WHY GO SLOW WHEN YOU CAN GO FAST... :shock:
*WAVES ARE OF THE ESSENCE*
5 SUMMER STORIES
shamanjon
Grom (25 or less posts to site)
Grom (25 or less posts to site)

cramps

Post by shamanjon »

One of the things I use is tonic water with quinine in it. It tastes a little bitter so mix it w/ some OJ or whatever you like . It has worked wonders for me and alot of other kneelos. Hope it helps.