GETTING, ummm...OLDER : (

With the averge age of the kneeboarder these days this area should be used to post issues on health matters (surfer's ear, knee surgery, stretches, etc).

Moderator: Moderator

KED
Local (More than 25 post)

GETTING, ummm...OLDER : (

Post by KED »

Okay, so it's happening to all of us :evil: , but some of us have been at it for a longer time than others :roll:
Until this year, I have been of the mind set that I surf to stay in shape. I recently realized that I have started doing things to stay in shape in order to surf. Does this sound familiar to anyone??? If so, what sport/exercises do you do to help stay in shape for surfing ???
Be who you are and say what you feel.
The people who mind don't matter, and the people who matter don't mind.
toofast3
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

Post by toofast3 »

12oz curls just weren`t doing, so I moved up to 16oz. So far so good. I think ??
gumby
Legend (Contribution King!)

Post by gumby »

Swimming, any thing cardio, yoga to keep flexability. Also with weights it is better to go more reps then more weight. So start with 12oz and work your way up to 16oz. (Tip twist off is a better work out then pulltab) :lol:
To do what I want to do
I have to do what have to do

Craig
W.G. Facenda

Post by W.G. Facenda »

51 yesterday....I have to work out or surf ALL the time or I feel .....51 :lol: Got excellent surf the last few days and went sailing all day yesterday then surfed till dark.Woke up at 6 am and did it again.Alot of consistency or your done.
KAVA

Post by KAVA »

i find in the winter my belly takes on a mind and mass of its own. so fall and winter i hit the eliptical runner 3 days a week and that keeps quatto (http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=quatto ) to a minimum. that and a couple days a week kneeriding makes me a healthy boy
"Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air… "
-Ralph Waldo Emerson
6'1", dean cleary tri, 6'0 Flashpoint tri, 5'9 chuck dent (epoxy quad), 9' velzy (single fin triple stringer)
Kauaikneelo

Post by Kauaikneelo »

Its effective age not actual age, that matters how you feel :? :( .
Aloha from the Kingdom of Atooi
ScottMac

Post by ScottMac »

Last edited by ScottMac on Mon Apr 06, 2009 2:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
griz

Post by griz »

I know what you meen Scott, I`m your age as well mate , had a physical for new job position and was imformed I share the same blood pressure as an elite sportsman,chuffed yet blown away.Sometimes it helps to be reasured that what you do to maintain surf fitness is working.
gene west

health and age

Post by gene west »

I've been surfing since 1964-mostly riding kneeboards since '68 and here's what I've learned in my 54 years-keep your demons at a managable level , your attitude positive, and remain young at heart! I'm still as stoked now as I was when I was a grom. Being a vegi also helps! and alove for the ocean and disdain for the couch keeps me centered.
geno
CONTIKI

Re: GETTING, ummm...OLDER : (

Post by CONTIKI »

KED wrote:Okay, so it's happening to all of us :evil: , but some of us have been at it for a longer time than others :roll:
Until this year, I have been of the mind set that I surf to stay in shape. I recently realized that I have started doing things to stay in shape in order to surf. Does this sound familiar to anyone??? If so, what sport/exercises do you do to help stay in shape for surfing ???
What was the question??? :?:
I try to incorporate all activities that begin with the letter "S"
Seems to be working so far at 50....
*WAVES ARE OF THE ESSENCE*
5 SUMMER STORIES
Man O' War

Post by Man O' War »

As an old guy, you can't help but love this thread. I identify with martinmurph and his impact zone. My wakeup call was three yrs ago, age 50, out of breath and struggling in headhigh glass--a perfect day ruined. I realized I needed to get intentional and do like KED, reverse the order, especially being in FL. I started running a mile a night with calisthentics and stretches. I stayed at it for 2-1/2 yrs, noticed the gradual improvement, and then, with surfhorn's knee warnings ringing in my ears, I switched to lap swimming. Now I do a 30-min workout with and without my UDT's and a kickboard 3-4 / wk. There's also the mandatory 12 oz hoists every day, religiously, to keep the arteries clear. I feel like I'm going downhill slower now :lol:
KED

Post by KED »

Hey maybe we should have a geezer gathering one of these years :lol: :lol: :lol:
Smokin Rock

Post by Smokin Rock »

do you mean more geezerly than they already are? :lol:
"This sucks more than anything that has ever sucked before." Butt-head
KED

Post by KED »

"They..."??? Whaddaya mean by "they"?
Surely
you are not referring to us fifty-somethings :?: :shock: :?: :shock: Better watch what you say there youngster.... we have earned our "drop in" rights, you know :lol: :lol: :lol: (That's cuz we can't see so well any more and have to leave the bifocals in the car :lol: :lol: :lol:
surfhorn

Post by surfhorn »

Stretching and light freeweights combined with cardio have been my method for the past few years.

I have a stationary bike in the back of the living room so I can watch TV and get a (non impact) cardio.

But most importantly I have a rubber/surgical band with handles hanging off the bike's handles so I can stand there and do my arm stretches. The resistence keeps my paddling muscles ready to go at a moments notice.
Whenever I walk by I grab the handles and do 3 reps of 10 for each arm/shoulder. And you can twist to work on your midsection also.

Without this basic routine I'd be an even bigger target in the water...which I've been out of for the past month+.

I tweekd my rt should again from over-surfing this summer. When I felt that little twinge, I stopped surfing/exercising and let it heal. Now I'm playing catchup, trying to get ready for the Fall/Winter. Just started exercising this week. Should take a minimum of 2 weeks to be back in basic shape.

And moderation in everything.
kbing since plywood days