GETTING, ummm...OLDER : (

With the averge age of the kneeboarder these days this area should be used to post issues on health matters (surfer's ear, knee surgery, stretches, etc).

Moderator: Moderator

Bintang Bob
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

Post by Bintang Bob »

cool poster..... 8)
Kneel before the majesty of our mother ocean
Bintang Bob

Post by Bintang Bob »

I just showed my wife the poster and she wants to know why you guys didn't do this while she was visiting last month.... :lol:
Man O' War
Legend (Contribution King!)

Post by Man O' War »

Tell her to fly us out and we'll do it for you there. :D
Beeline2.0

Post by Beeline2.0 »

Last edited by Beeline2.0 on Thu Feb 28, 2008 10:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Bintang Bob

Post by Bintang Bob »

Hey Beeline, at the risk of really sending this thread off in a new direction... :roll: I'd say a small amount of sanity is returning... :wink:
Last edited by Bintang Bob on Wed Nov 08, 2006 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KAVA

Post by KAVA »

I am sure that in many coastal neighborhoods where wave riding has been a major influence in the local culture there is some type of surfing museum/hall of fame/tributary. While the name may be diffrent, the intent is similar.
HUNTINGTON BEACH SURFING WALK OF FAME
Each year the Walk of Fame selection committee compiles a comprehensive ballot of qualified candidates with the help of cooperating surf associations, museums, magazines, and other media organizations. The ballots broken down into five categories of achievement, are then distributed to an international panel of surfing authorities who cast their votes to decide which candidates will receive the coveted stones.
http://surfingmuseum.org/
http://www.surfingmuseum.org/walk_fame/walk_of_fame.htm
"Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air… "
-Ralph Waldo Emerson
6'1", dean cleary tri, 6'0 Flashpoint tri, 5'9 chuck dent (epoxy quad), 9' velzy (single fin triple stringer)
ScottMac

Post by ScottMac »

Last edited by ScottMac on Fri Apr 03, 2009 7:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bintang Bob

Post by Bintang Bob »

I still say thet Gisborne, New Zealand is the first "Surf City".... 8) Because, Maori legend sez that the first canoes came here from the land of Hawaiki ~s~. Here in NZ they say "aroha" instead of "aloha". So, I'd say the Maori people are desended from the same peoples as Hawaiian's, if not Hawaiian's directly. So, the surfing traditions of the Polynesian people have been alive and well in New Zealand for centuries.... :D
KAVA

Post by KAVA »

ACTUALLY some people believe that the hawaiians are descendants of native north americans (ie: see navaho vs maori comparison). then there is the whole haggath and the 13th tribe of israel but thats a whole other debate lol! oh and im sure some anthro-nazi is going to go off on this lol!

anyhow..... if the maori are the descendants of hawaiians and hawaiians are the descendants of native americans then surfing began in the continental US heh heh likely the west coast. (excluding santa cruz of course rofl! :twisted: likely someplace like Huntington Beach, CA). or if you wanted to go in another direction (litterally) the colonization of easter island by the hawaiians would have taken place before the colonization of NZ. hence the mix of easter island polynesians with native south americans meaning heh heh! surfing was in south america before NZ :P hmmmm Santiago, Chile is the original "Surf City"

let the bickering begin....
Last edited by KAVA on Wed Nov 08, 2006 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Ralph Waldo Emerson
6'1", dean cleary tri, 6'0 Flashpoint tri, 5'9 chuck dent (epoxy quad), 9' velzy (single fin triple stringer)
Scott

Post by Scott »

Wow, that's really a great poster; hopefully, the attendance and the depth of conversation will equal it.

Now remember: DO NOT refer to kneeboarders as "an endangered species" (although if you do you're virtually certain to be offered a contract to write a magazine article announcing the demise of the sport).
Smokin Rock

Post by Smokin Rock »

you mean like, "dodoboarder"? :lol:
regardless of where the Hawaiians came from it was here in Hawaii that the sport was elevated to the status of a royal pastime. it was from here that it first gained world wide attention. it was Hawaiians like the Duke who introduced it to the rest of the world. at least Hawaiian style.
ancient and modern surfing begins and ends here in Hawaii.
this is the holy land of surfing and the 7 mile miracle that is the North Shore of Oahu is Mecca. 8)
do you think i'm biased? :lol:
surf city is a bit of a oxymoron don't you think?
"This sucks more than anything that has ever sucked before." Butt-head
Smokin Rock

Post by Smokin Rock »

BTW....this is a great thread where we can show how senile we are by posting on all manner of subjects and thinking it all makes sense :lol:
"This sucks more than anything that has ever sucked before." Butt-head
KAVA

Post by KAVA »

this is the holy land of surfing and the 7 mile miracle that is the North Shore of Oahu is Mecca.
too true! 8)

heh heh I just went on some wild tangent didnt i? guess i will need to mix a bowl (of kava) twice as thick this week heh heh :mrgreen:
-Ralph Waldo Emerson
Kauaikneelo

Post by Kauaikneelo »

Ok here is to prove the 60's and 70's were good to me............

They all came from Alantis when they knew the place was gonna be destroyed and sent ships in evey direction to preserve their people. Incas, Native Americans, etc... If they were that advanced then of course they surfed, (now comes the "Blast" :roll: ) so surfing could have begun (gulp) in Florida!! :shock:

Actually the Pacific peole came to Hawaii and the Menehue were already here for a thousand years. Of course, these "little people" could not have stood up on boards and therefore KBing was invented in Hawaii. 8) 8)

Now pass that thick Kava and I'll roll another.............. :D :D
Aloha from the Kingdom of Atooi
Bintang Bob

Post by Bintang Bob »

Hey Smokin Rock, I whole heartedly agree with you (on both counts :roll: ). I was hoping to wind up the west coasters and watch them run in circles 8) but Kava's got me me here, as I don't know my history well enough to know whether to believe him on the Hawaiian/America's ancestor thing :lol: