surfers ear

With the averge age of the kneeboarder these days this area should be used to post issues on health matters (surfer's ear, knee surgery, stretches, etc).

Moderator: Moderator

Bill E.
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

Post by Bill E. »

Mine just uses a small ear canal spreader and squirts a little 'juice' in there, then harpoons the wax with a probe and pulls it out as a solid mass.

It is the size of a pencil eraser and stinks like s*&^ and is as hard as s*&^ too. :oops: And No I dont have s*&^ for brains :P

But then again, Oh what a relief it is!!
Cars come and go, VW's live and breathe

Surfers come and go, Kneeboarders live and breed
SFKneelo

Post by SFKneelo »

:shock: :shock: :shock:

(And you see Dr. Ahab... out there is making a living harpooning earwax :wink: )

I've had that vacuum done at the ENT before... it hurt a bit from the inflammation that got me there in the 1st place.

The sound is loud and kinda nasty... like golfballs getting sucked though a garden hose. Er, um... :oops: (Maybe they got more than the ear goo?)

What I remember most is how good it felt afterwards. :D

So, are we all becoming Foghorn Leghorns? I SAY, SON, ARE WE ALL BECOMING...

On a related note... is everyone's left ear worse than their right?

I've heard left ear for West Coast, right ear for East Coast...
K-man
Legend (Contribution King!)

Post by K-man »

mostly right ear faces north,left ear south...95 right 75 left.Could turn the other direction...Always taught....never turn your back on the ocean!

Hunting around the KSA site came across a pic of an island KB presented to our illustrious administrator on his visit to oz.If I find it again I'll post it.
ross

Post by ross »

hey K-man,
I had a giggle at the use of the term "selective hearing". My mum will tell you I've had it for years :lol:
I was born with a hearing defect in my right ear. As a result of this i'am only able to hear from my left ear, which is heavily affected with surfers ear.
The operation that has been discussed is an option for me but the ENT surgeon that i see, says i need to set aside a couple of months out of my life where i'am prepared to not be able to hear anything(no working,no surfing). Which as you would imagine, sucks balls.
To combat this situation the ENT suggests i have a bone anchored hearing aid inserted in the back of my skull. So i can hear "something" when my good ear is operated on.
To cut a incredibly long story short the hearing aid surgery was a complete failure. My body rejected the spare parts they put into the back of my head and i ended up walking around with an open wound the size of a matchbox behind my right ear for 9 months. I think maybe the ENT was testing my pain threshold before he told me we should abort (it's supposed to heal in 3 months).

The purpose of the above fabel was to point out that no surgery of any kind is minor. I'ts worth getting a few opinions before you jump into anything.

Oh yeah,
a good mate of mine had the surgery to clear surfers ear, last year. The surgeon did such a bad job of sewing his ear back on my mate is now known around these parts as prince charlie :lol:

and my local GP who is also a kneeboarder 8) will tell you that surfers at my beach suffer bone growth worst in their right ears. Over the hill in Avoca the get it worst in their left. All due to prevailing onshore wind direction!
kidrock

Post by kidrock »

I keep seeing these horror stories about "lancing" and such...yuk. Especially about the huge hunks of stinky cheese being pulled...yuk.

My doctor had a different approach, one I might suggest to my hearing-impaired compadres...

I went to my doc with the shooting pains I mentioned earlier in this thread. My hearing was so bad, I couldn't even hear the exhaust note from my '64 VW Van. He saw the "obstruction", and used a "WaterPic", the kind you use for your teeth. He filled it with lukewarm water, and set it on it's gentlest pulse. You can't imagine the huge sensation of relief I felt when a huge hunk of limburger (along with other flotsam and jetsam) expelled into a tray. It was disgusting just to look at, and it stunk the whole examination room to high heaven. But, it did the trick. I opted out of the surgery for the bony growths.

Getting my hearing back, although a bit limited, felt akin to a blind man regaining his sight :lol: :lol: :lol:
ScottMac

Post by ScottMac »

Last edited by ScottMac on Fri Apr 03, 2009 7:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
gene west

ears

Post by gene west »

During my last physical, my doc knew right away that i surfed, and yes, left ears tend to be worse for wear than right ears.Any ENT md,can have you fitted for custom earplugs that come with a leash, and of course, and of course a hood is amust during the winter, especially for those of us with with some milage. My girlfriend can't understand why i have no problem hearing MINISTRY , but can't hear herall the time.....selective hearing....sometimes yes, sometimes no.......stay wet
geno
randiego

Post by randiego »

:D
Last edited by randiego on Thu Jan 22, 2015 11:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
randiego

Post by randiego »

:D
Last edited by randiego on Thu Jan 22, 2015 11:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
zombiewoolf
Grom (25 or less posts to site)

Post by zombiewoolf »

I also had a physical and the nurse knew i surfed as well and informed me that i had it more in the right than the left as i surf the east coast , if i surfed Margret river every day i'd have it more in the left ear[/list]
zombiewoolf

Post by zombiewoolf »

I think your right Randi I was told that the bone grows to protect the ear canal from the wind,
zombiewoolf

Post by zombiewoolf »

Randi a female doc would straiten me out too :wink: and the surf is crap here to-day so enjoy wile you have it
ScottMac

Post by ScottMac »

Last edited by ScottMac on Fri Apr 03, 2009 7:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
kidrock

Post by kidrock »

SurfMuff...CLASSIC!!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Bintang Bob

Post by Bintang Bob »

I don't believe anyone has mentioned ear candles.... they won't "fix" the problem but will get the wax out painlessly (my ear canals are now to narrow for Q-tips to work). The things were origionally invented by the Hopi Indians, of all people. The candles are a long tube treated with bees wax. You lay on your side and stick it up against your ear and light it (good to have another person helping), while it burns down it vaporizes the wax and sucks it out. Works great! I've cut open the stubs of a few of them after use and.... well, blaaaa.... you get the picture. There $20.00 a pair here in New Zealand and most likely are cheaper in the states. Here in Gizzie, the local health food store carries them.... Bob 8)
Kneel before the majesty of our mother ocean