Safe Surfing

With the averge age of the kneeboarder these days this area should be used to post issues on health matters (surfer's ear, knee surgery, stretches, etc).

Moderator: Moderator

Beeline2.0
Legend (Contribution King!)

Safe Surfing

Post by Beeline2.0 »

Last edited by Beeline2.0 on Thu Feb 28, 2008 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ler

waves

Post by Ler »

GO BIG OR GO HOME
byunhosa
Local (More than 25 post)

Safe Surfing

Post by byunhosa »

If you're over a hard bottom, wear a condom.
DavidG
Grom (25 or less posts to site)

Post by DavidG »

The report only takes in to consideration injuries sustained over a short time (competition). Where as we all know that if you continue kneeboarding as long as you can the sort of strain injuries, back and shoulder problems seem to become far greater.
Thats why it feels like surfing is one of the most likely sports to sustain an injury in, as we all end up injured some day.
surfhorn

Post by surfhorn »

20 or so years ago the Univeristy of Queeensland (or Queensland University....I dunno) did a study comparing injury days versus participation days in various sports.

For every 100 days of participation they would list how many injury days.
Rugby was 90 something days of injury for every 100 played. American football was 86 injury days for 100 days playing, etc.

But surfing was about 1 injury day per every 100 days of participation.

Unfortunately, I don't remember the exact facts nor the source. Sorry.
kbing since plywood days
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

No wonder I hurt so much.
I am 45 surfed since I was around 9 years old, and played rugby through school and a while after.
KED

Post by KED »

Was watching a Jr. Pro (Or something like that. Real good groms) competion being held in Hawaii a few months ago. A competitor
(teenager) came in after his heat and said something to his mom (not sure what) and his mom got mad at him and told him that he needed to "start running into those guys. If you need to run to over someone to get a wave you want, then run over him. That's the only way you're going to get ahead." I couldn't believe my ears (and from the look on the kids face, neither could he). Later, I talked about it with a friend who's young son competes. She enlightened me with the fact that there are a lot of parents who push their kids to "do whatever it takes" to win because of the money involved in today's world of competitive surfing.
Be who you are and say what you feel.
The people who mind don't matter, and the people who matter don't mind.
KED

Post by KED »

T :oops: The point of my previous post was that this sort of dysfunctional input from parents is a recipe for unsafe surfing. Not okay.
john -

Post by john - »

from another perspective... that aint surfing, thats competing, which from another perspective aint surfing
KED

Post by KED »

Ahhhh... symantics, symantics. Bottom line (for me anyway) is that anyone riding a wave with a " the heck with anyone else, this wave is mine" attitude, is a danger to everyone else in the water. A lot of these kids are carrying the competitive aggression over to their non competitive surfing...
AM_Glass
Ripper (more than 100 posts)
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

Post by AM_Glass »

Another problem with the article is that it focuses on contest surfing. I've noticed that the most injuries occur when the waves are small and people start fooling around. I smacked the side of my face with a longboard trying to do a vertical kickout on a 3ft wave. I know a guy who busted his nose on a 2 ft wave while hanging ten and not really watching what was happening. There's got to be lot's of small wave injury stories out there just waiting to be told.
It could be worse, I could be in Oakla-homa.
K-man

Post by K-man »

The major portion of surfing accidents are never reported,mainly because they are not so serious as to make the local news,but serious enough to end one's surf session.
A third of all beach accidents[here] are surf related,and serious enough to require treatment,and naturally they're mostly beginners.
What's the point?Surf related accidents are far more common than we know,and they never make the news.
Keeps the ding repair folks in a bit of jingle!
Kauaikneelo

got duck tape brah?

Post by Kauaikneelo »

Lots of injuries go unreported here everyday, then we back tomorrow for more!!! Got duck tape brah?

Hey K-man how many cuts, scrapes, bruzies, u get here?? plenty??... and thats just from the trail down to the break!! :shock:

Hey AM Glass - that make you a Oakla-homie? :D 8)
K-man

Post by K-man »

:lol: ......The feet,the feet!Lime juice disinfectant,the natural cure......Arrrrggggggggg!..Be there from may 15 june 6.