Kneeboarding hazardous to your shoulders?

With the averge age of the kneeboarder these days this area should be used to post issues on health matters (surfer's ear, knee surgery, stretches, etc).

Moderator: Moderator

cali_chick
Grom (25 or less posts to site)

Post by cali_chick »

I personally have a lot of faith in yoga, when done properly, to help relieve most physical discomfort. This site shows, through animation, yoga techniqes that anyone can follow. This particular one is a simple shoulder stretch.

http://www.abc-of-yoga.com/yogapractice/stretch.asp

Also it depends on the type of pain you are experiencing, is it a constant ache or does it come and go? Does it only hurt when you move your shoulder or even when laying still. Is is so bad that it can wake you up at night, or keep you awake?

Most 'shoulder problems' are not focused on the bones but rather the softer material, ie the muscles and ligaments. Pick up an everyday Orthopaedic guide and maybe you can better understand your pain and it will be easier to diagnose and cure. For example most people with this problem fall into 6 main catagories,

osteoarthritis/Septic arthritis
tendinitis/bursitis
nerve-related issues
infections
abnormal tissue growth
complications from injury

There is also always the possibility that it is something more dangerous and you should always consult your doctor.
Otherwise, if you want to start simple, yoga is the way forward :) . You can increase the level of technique as you go along.

I hope this helps
~a simple girl with simple passions; hand me my board, get out of my way.~
quadfin
Legend (Contribution King!)

Post by quadfin »

Thanks Cali Chick. Since my last post I have been diagnosed with the following:

Cervical spondylosis is a chronic degeneration of the bones (vertebrae) of the neck (cervical spine) and the cushions between the vertebrae (disks). Also known as cervical osteoarthritis, the condition usually appears in men and women older than 40 and progresses with age. Although cervical spondylosis affects both sexes equally, men usually develop it at an earlier age than women do.

The degeneration in cervical spondylosis most likely is a result of wear and tear on the neck bones as you age. The changes that accompany the degeneration, such as developing abnormal growths (bone spurs) on the spine, can lead to pressure on the spinal nerves and, sometimes, the spinal cord itself.

Mild cases of cervical spondylosis often require no treatment or may respond to conservative treatment, including wearing a neck brace and taking pain medication. More severe cases of cervical spondylosis, however, particularly those involving pressure on the spinal nerves or cord, may require treatment ranging from neck traction to stronger medications to surgery.

Weaning myself off NSAID's and had already begun stretching excercises with my swimming. Yoga would be a logical next step. Imagine with our average age on this site there are a lot of us with condition.

Heard there was a Doctor in Baja doing some type of treatment for rebuilding the cartilage. Anybody heard any stories?
Surf Hard Live Slow
cali_chick

Post by cali_chick »

No problem, here’s what I can tell you about rebuilding cartilage.
I’ve never been a part of these projects as it is not my field but I’ve heard some amazing breakthroughs. As you probably already know, for Cervical spondylosis your options fall into basic categories,

1) Surgical – usually only if the pain is unmanageable and the symptoms are progressive. This would include removal of bone and disk tissue and/or stabilization of the neck by fusing the cervical vertebrae.

2) Non-Surgical – e.g. physical therapy, a game plan of oral/ inoculated medications

3) Tissue engineering (advancements) – bio-medical engineering techniques to actually stimulate growth of the cartilage.

4) Alternative medicines – to protect the remaining and stimulate new cartilage through nutrients found naturally.

With respect to tissue engineering,

Dr. Steward from Illinois is currently wasit high in research that is focused on trying to figure out why there is a loss of cartilage cells with aging. He revealed that when a certain gene called cyclin D1 is turned off, cartilage cells are not able to multiply. He has shown that cell growth can be restored, at least temporarily, by using a compound that increases cyclin D1 expression. His goal is to use the ongoing research to produce new methods to stimulate growth in cartilage cells.

There are many that use the approach of alternative medicine. They stand by the use of glucosamine sulfate and anti-inflammatory herbs to decrease pain and increase mobility. Other anti-inflammatory herbs used in alternative medicines are ginger, curcumin or boswellia. Vitamin C is used to regulate proper connective tissue function.
Now back to the sulfate;glucosamine is a component of normal cartilage so many researchers believe that it can aid in helping the body help itself to repair damage of cartilage, but you must keep in mind that this is not a proven result, right now it is merely a plausible hunch. You said that you were being weaned off your NSAIDs so I’m hoping you have only good results so far with your anti- inflams.

Back to the medical arguments there is a Doctor in Oregon that believes the key is in the genetics. He is investigating genetic factors and genetic markers that may be able to manipulate stem cells from bone marrow into cartilage cells, this is still in the developing stages as far as I know, I’ll check up and see.

Now out of a natural sense of caution I’m going to add in this last part but remember that most patients with Cervical spondylosis are usually low key in terms of complications and are non-surgical. That said, if you do observe any new complications such as severe loss of movement or just loss of sensation of any area of the body, contact your doctor immediately because this could be a bio-marker for something more serious.

A couple small tips you probably heard already,

Consume a lot of water (at least 8 glasses a day) during this time. All the supplements in the world won’t help you if you aren’t properly hydrated to absorb them.

Get some sun, seeing you are on this site that shouldn’t be a problem :)

Also, Vitamin C should be in your system constantly.

Yoga I agree is the next natural step, just take it easy, also with the swimming build your regime slowly, you don’t want to aggravate it more.

One thing you should always remember is that pain is your body’s way of saying “Stop that, stop it now :shock: .”
So fight this but don’t push too hard or it will push back.

Best of Luck,
Last edited by cali_chick on Sun Nov 25, 2007 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KevinJFina
Local (More than 25 post)
Local (More than 25 post)

Post by KevinJFina »

Cali_Chickl , your brilliance shines through! Thank you! I was a pretty hardcore triathlete for 10 years-did Kawai loves twice-once one it was pretty darn near a 1/2 ironman-'88 and in 91 when it migrated to a intl olympic distance-close to 60 races before deciding enough was enough. Bad rotatercuff thrashed in a ski racing accident-ex part timer rez of Mammoth-hit a gate at 45 MPH(slight glance off of it-very lucky but a God shot for sure) did the yoga thing-brought many ,many good things into focus including my expression throught K boarding(nag ampo)!
I have learned to listen to my body and with this form of expression my body listens to me. my 2cents-fwiw-
peace,
Kevin
quadfin

Post by quadfin »

I agree with Kevin, brilliant Cali Chick.

My father just turned 94 and works out at the Y everyday and hits on the young chicks...so genetics are OK. He has been on a Glucosamine regamin for a few years and stays mobile even though he has lost a large part of his bone mass.

Colon damage from a past tropical disease does not allow me to tolerate NSAID's for very long and I don't think masking the pain leads to any solutions.

Just happened to have some Emergen-C Joint Health mix with Glucosamine and Vitamin C in the cabinet. Did not realize that the Vitamin C was important. Will start taking with healthy doses of water and see what happens.

Thanks again.
Surf Hard Live Slow
cali_chick

Post by cali_chick »

kudos guys :)

I couldn't agree with you more Kevin

Quadfin, your dad sounds like a real cool character :lol:

I sincerely wish you the best with this,
quadfin

Post by quadfin »

As an update to the previous posts... I am now pain free and with increased range of motion. I have a glass of Emergen C with glucosamine/condritin twice a day in water or with protein powder and soy milk in a shake. I also take a Coral Calcium supplement.

No NSAID or any other type of pain relief required. Never started the Yoga routine but surf pretty regularly. Have noticed that my leg cramps have also decreased in extended sessions.

Thanks again Cali Chick. And for the record Gluc pills never did anything for me in the past. Has to be the combination in Emergen C.
Surf Hard Live Slow
Doc Turbo
Ripper (more than 100 posts)
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

Post by Doc Turbo »

Thanks for the follow up postings, lets see how you are going in a year or two as well.

Cali good info...

Post by red »

Good stuff
In addition:
While yoga is a sophisticated dynamic exercise, one of its major benefits arises from improved circulation (actually most of the sequences aim at directing energy (let's just call it circulation) in certain areas. Increased blood flow has all kinds of benefits (transport nutrients, carry away waste).
The aim of yoga is union of body and mind, so the exercises are a useful gateway for learning to listen to your body (all mine says is ouch, creak, groan, click).