Kneeboarding hazardous to your shoulders?

With the averge age of the kneeboarder these days this area should be used to post issues on health matters (surfer's ear, knee surgery, stretches, etc).

Moderator: Moderator

Mark Ramirez
Legend (Contribution King!)

Shoulders

Post by Mark Ramirez »

Yes Aikibu, a good way to avoid injuries is to lift weights at the gym. But, when you've already have injured your shoulder, you shouldn't lift weights. With the pain, your body is trying to tell you something. You should stop. But I agree with doing the Yoga and maybe swim laps in a pool. Water is very forgiving on the joints and ligaments. I work out at the gym all the time, and I've been injury free for over 10 years._________Mark R.
Bumps
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

Post by Bumps »

Aikibu,

Like ur philosophy, been lifting for a while and it has helped. Hmm, I've been contemplating Yoga for a while. Now that I about too hit the 48, I need to work on the flex.

Thanks for sharing. :D
frankfqr

shoulders

Post by frankfqr »

Can't remember what forum, but I've mentioned before, a technique of stretching called Active Isolated Stretching. Totally different approach with amazing results immediatly. Yoga is tried and true. Any routine has a learning curve. While doing your research you should check out AIS techniques and benifits, it's great...good luck.......
KneeBumps

Post by KneeBumps »

frankfqr, I'd be interested in the AIS ref or link? Sounds good, as my current stretching routine is mostly aimed at my lower back and hamstrings each AM. I'm usually too impatient to stretch on the beach when the surf's pumping!

And wouldn't you know it, I stayed out of the pool (surfed only twice) to let my shoulders rest, they feel completely rehabbed, but I neglected my back during the down time and tweaked some lower back muscle shoveling snow last weekend! :x
"All I want in this life of mine is some good clean fun
All I want in this life and time is some hit and run"
Lowell George
Bumps

Post by Bumps »

Hi frankfqr,

Just ordered the book from Amazon.

I'll get it a few weeks before I go the Indo. Let's see what Aaron Matte's method can do for my flexibility.

Thanks .
KneeBumps

Post by KneeBumps »

Thanks2x. Found it. I'll give it a go.
Lowell George
frankfqr

AIS

Post by frankfqr »

Due to shoulder rehab I was building strength under supervision, but after signing off I was encouraged to go to a gym and increase weights. Things felt promising so I did it and then was hit with the typicle muscle pain from the increase. I happened to read a newspaper article about AIS at the same time, and the big benifit noted was releif from musle soreness from workouts. Google searches peaked my interest but finding practioners close by was imposible, so I bought a book on technique. Even though they say 8-10 reps of each stretch is best, they also state min. 3 reps. Thats all I ever did. Results immediate. No kidding, pain gone after first application! After that I tried to push it to test the method. Some of the weights I was increasing to was absurd by most standards but playing it safe in most cases I just increased the reps. NEVER again feeling any pain. Since recently moving I have yet to find a gym to continue but at my peak on a good point day I logged 5hrs. even with super ex-large duckfeet (never wore em) and felt no pain, no cramping, I was giggling with blissful fatique.......good luck..enjoy...frank
KneeBumps

Post by KneeBumps »

Just wanted to thank all those with advice, including back through the many previous posts on shoulder injury.

I'm "rehabbed", shoulder feels great, doin my best to work on body turns instead of draggin arm.

Best advice (for me) through all the posts on shoulders:

gsurf, #2435- using fins while swimming (and, modifying stroke to reduce stress during recovery phase-from his previous post on the subject). I think this has helped me the most. There seem to be two benefits- shoulder gradually builds back strength, without the stress usually encumbered by a full pull stroke, and you get to build up your kick strength with your fins of choice.

(not to mention that you blow all the 20-somethings out of the pool)!:twisted:

frankfqr, bumps, how's the AIS going- still sticking with it? I'm ready for the next step..
Lowell George
loonylen
Local (More than 25 post)

Post by loonylen »

And the crux of the buiscut is the apostrophe also by fz
Dane

Post by Dane »

My left shoulder "clicks" when I paddle. I suspect the universal joint is wearing out.
K-man

Post by K-man »

No pain?No big deal[yet]Any grinding sounds ain't good.Went thru the click thing several yrs. ago.Our local surfing doc gave me a series of simple rotor cuff exercises.No more clicking!
Probably get it checked?Nip it in the bud.

cheers
Dane

Post by Dane »

Thanks K-man. No pain yet. More worried about the left knee. I look forward to the day that we can rebuild ourselves like classic cars. Into the workshop...a few grand and we're good for another 100,000 kms. I'm talking about the " 62 model fully restored to showroom condition" rather than the "MTV Pimp my Ride" restoration.
loonylen

Post by loonylen »

I'm recovering from a shoulder injury (electric shock) the muscle behind the shoulder blade was injured. I'm paddeling ok but the snap up and duck dive are very pain full but i'm going out for a paddle to get back into it. Being winter here we have some decent swells and with the wetsuit weight i'm restricting the session to about an hour not much more. But I think you should try to get as much movement as you can or buy a bodyboard :roll:
quadfin

Post by quadfin »

Just back from the chiropractor who is resetting my shoulder after every swell. He freaked when I told him how I surfed. He noted that my muscles in front of my shoulder are over-developed and the muscles behind my shoulder are under-developed, causing the shoulder blade to be pulled forward and onto the nerves. He suggested rowing motion exercises which I will do on a total gym and support of my shoulder with some type of clavical torture device. I am already wearing a wetsuit top to support my shoulder, although the water temp is in the 90's here, and will wear the clavical support under the wetsuit.

Hope to get some swell before we evacuate for Hurricane Dean.
Surf Hard Live Slow
SCGARY

Post by SCGARY »

quadfin wrote:Just back from the chiropractor who is resetting my shoulder after every swell. He freaked when I told him how I surfed. He noted that my muscles in front of my shoulder are over-developed and the muscles behind my shoulder are under-developed, causing the shoulder blade to be pulled forward and onto the nerves. He suggested rowing motion exercises which I will do on a total gym and support of my shoulder with some type of clavical torture device. I am already wearing a wetsuit top to support my shoulder, although the water temp is in the 90's here, and will wear the clavical support under the wetsuit.

Hope to get some swell before we evacuate for Hurricane Dean.
I thought I'd pop in here and comment on the shoulder discussion. Haven't spoke up here in a while. I'm SCGary (formely Gsurf) and commented quite a bit about shoulder problems in the past.
I am currently rehabing my right shoulder because I paddled out a few months ago during a good swell (sorta good) and irritated the hell out of my bicept tendon.
Why this happened is clear, I hadn't been surfing for awhile for lack of a swell and my lap swimming had dropped of too much so when the swell did come up I jumped on it with shoulders that were not in condition to handle the agressive paddling. Sure my shoulder were fine, for awhile, but as I paddled more and longer the rotator muscles fatigued and didn't support the shoulder/arm aligment and as it weakened I got impingement of the bicept tendon against the arcromion(part of the shoulder blade) as my upper arm wobbled around in the socket. I should have known better.
I am currently lap swimming (with proper stroke technigue, see my past posts),weight training properly, and am recovering.
I bring this up since most of us here in No. California are going nuts for lack of a decent swell, so soon as a good swell hits we'll be charging hard to make up for lost time and the old shoulders won't be in shape for it unless we've been training them. So start now if your currently not doing anything to condition your shoulder during this awful flat spell.
P.S- What Quadfin describes above is a classic case of muscle imbalance which can be caused by. Incorrect Weight training= Too much bench pressing (lifters shoulders), not enought rows and external rotator cuff excercises to strength the back/posterior shoulders to counter the chest, anterior shoulder muscle...... ...Gotta go!