Brain Tumour !!!

With the averge age of the kneeboarder these days this area should be used to post issues on health matters (surfer's ear, knee surgery, stretches, etc).

Moderator: Moderator

Techno
Local (More than 25 post)

Brain Tumour !!!

Post by Techno »

To some of you this will be old news, but to most it is new !!!

I should be sitting here telling you all what a great time I had at Indy ???
Instead I bring you the sad news that Narelle my wife was diagnosed with a brain tumour the day after I returned from Indy.

She had been complaining of a headache when I rang her from the Gold Coast on the Wednesday night. She said she would see the Doctor if it got any worse !!!
By Friday, she was in more pain and was being treated by our doctor for infected sinus’s, antibiotic’s were administered and was told that she would be fine in a day or two ???
She spent Saturday and Sunday in bed unable to get up because of the pain, while our 7yr old looked after the other two children.
I rang her every night and she said to stay at Indy and that it was only a migraine due to the infected sinus’s.
On my return home on Monday she went to our doctor again and commenced on a stronger antibiotic.
Tuesday morning she was unable to get out of bed let alone open her eyes and the doctor was contacted re: her condition. The doctor sent us for an X-Ray of her sinus’s and the result came back perfect – no infection ???
This is when our Doctor dropped the bombshell !!! Brain Tumour ???

She sent us for a CT Scan and while watching the operator do the scan I saw something that didn’t look quite right ?
After about an hour they had finished writing the report and we were told something had been found and that the report was being faxed to our doctor and that she would discuss their findings when we arrived back at her office !!!
We were shown the slides and had explained that Narelle has a Brain Tumour behind her right eye and above her right ear, the unfortunate fact being that it was deep seated and beside the central cortex !!!
She was admitted to the Princess Alexandra Hospital within the hour, and commenced on Morphine immediately !!!

To cut a long story short – she is now comfortable and sitting upright – due to some really great “Top Shelf Drugs”.
We have been told to get ourselves together when they release her for the weekend and to spend the time discussing our future – what may happen – power of attorney etc. and to make it a special time for the kids in case something goes wrong with the operation and she looses some of her faculties ???
This is the most frightening thing either of us has ever faced – we do not know what the future holds, or if Narelle will have a future – the Surgeon doing the work was the Team Leader that separated the twins that were conjoined at the head here in Brisbane a year or two ago – so we could not have her in better hands !!!
The present plan is to go back into hospital on Monday morning – have an MRI which will give the surgeons a 3D picture of what they are up against – and even if they will be able to operate ???
So as you are aware – we are both very scared of what the outcome may be ???
As far as the children know – mummy has a headache and that the doctors are making it better.
I am still trying to figure out how to tell the children about what mummy is about to go through ???
The support from friends has – as always been wonderful – and I don’t know how to thank them all for what they are doing ???

The children were passed from pillar to post for the first couple of days by parents from school – and these same people have been the ones ringing and offering their support to me and Narelle.
There is nothing anyone can do – but to pray for Narelle to have a successful operation without complications and to have a full recovery !!!
I’m not a very religious man – and at the moment feel a little betrayed by my god – to have lumped so much on a young family I feel is way too unfair – but then again – life wasn’t meant to be easy ???
We will be going to church on Sunday – and I ask those of you who are religious to maybe do the same and say a few prayers to guide the surgeons hand.
For those who are not of a religious faith – please – spend some time on Monday, channelling your thoughts of well wishes towards a successful MRI that will show a tumour that can be operated on with minimal change in Narelle’s capabilities or life.

The operation will be sometime Thursday – and I ask for your thoughts and prayers on this day also !!!
There is not much more to tell – Narelle has a Brain Tumour – a big one at that, (4cm X 4cm) a bit smaller than a Tennis ball.
We are facing this hurdle positively – we will beat this thing – and the months of Chemotherapy & Radiation treatment that lay down the track.

There is a funny side to this – Narelle has been complaining that she needed a new hairstyle – well sooner or later she will get it – being either shaved by the surgeons or by falling out with the Chemo’ etc. and I will be by her side the whole way – I will even keep my head shaved – that will make us a pigeon pair – and my ugly melon will make hers look absolutely beautiful !!!

I will not be able to answer all your emails – but will instead send out a report on her condition every few days or so, like I did when she went in to have her gall bladder removed ???

Anyway – will send an update on Monday night after the MRI.

Lotzaluv from Tony – Narelle – Madelaine – David – Natalya
XXXX
Last edited by Techno on Mon Nov 03, 2003 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HAVE SPARE KIDNEY - WILL TRAVEL FOR SURF !!!
Techno

Brain Tumour Update !!!

Post by Techno »

Well the MRI has been done and we have seen the Surgeon !!!

Bruce Hall will be the man – he was the Team Leader for the separation of the con-joined twins here a couple of years ago – so Narelle will have the best of the best looking after her ???
He says that we have a 90-95% chance of having no Neurological Deficits after the operation !!!
Although Narelle may have some vision loss in one eye – not sure on that one though ??? The Tumour is attached to her Right Optic Nerve – so that will be a wait and see game left in the hands of the surgeons ???
Narelle is 2nd on the operating list for Thursday morning – so we have to be at the hospital at Sparrow Fart in the morning – and the operation will take about 3+ hours ???

It was obvious that the big guy above has listened to all our prayers – so now is not the time to stop – please keep them coming – we need all the help we can get right now !!!
We went to church on Sunday morning (Something I’m not really inclined to do) but in times of need, we all tend to believe in our faith ???
I asked our minister (Who Married us 9 years ago) to have a word to the boss and let him know that the Aubrey’s had had enough shite lumped on them for one year, and it was time to give us a rest !!!
His response (And I should have expected it) was, “The Lord has his reasons and works in mysterious ways”.
Well – we still can’t work out why – but will go along with his plans for a bit longer. Like we really have a choice anyway ???

We have been receiving emails from so many people – some even from overseas people that some of you have forwarded my email to and we have been surprised to see such support from total strangers ???
And to think – we live in such a dangerous world – or so we thought !!! So much support from so many people was just the medicine we needed at such a stressful moment in our lives !!!

Anyway – there will not be much to tell until Thursday night after the operation ???
If I’m home from the hospital Thursday night I will attempt to send a operation update then – otherwise it will be Friday morning !!!

Again – thank you all for your prayers and well wishes – we cant thank you all enough !!!

Lotzaluv from Tony – Relle – Madelaine – David – Natalya Aubrey
(The Strawb’s)
XXXX
HAVE SPARE KIDNEY - WILL TRAVEL FOR SURF !!!
kneemor
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

Faith

Post by kneemor »

You will be in our prayers! I have had extended family die of cancer and faith is the the only thing that keeps you sane.

We will keep you wife in our prayers and keep us posted on her progress.
Steeno
Legend (Contribution Guru)
Legend (Contribution Guru)

Post by Steeno »

mate I send my prayers also, I lost my father to cancer and he was only young. I will be thinking of you and your wife, all the best. and keep your chin up and your friends close by.

steen
http://legless.tv/

dad
coach
godfather
Craig

Faith

Post by Craig »

Techno,Our prayers are with your Familly, for Peace & confort and that the surgens hands will be devinely guided.

Still a Grom!
Smokin Rock
Legend (Contribution King!)

Post by Smokin Rock »

Techno,
my family and i will be saying our prayers for your wifes success. hang in there and be strong.
tons of aloha from the Big Island,
Kennedy Ohana
"This sucks more than anything that has ever sucked before." Butt-head
willli

Post by willli »

techno,
all the positive thought I can muster is heading your way.
the statistics of sucess and failure are meaningless when applied to a single person... at that level everything is 50-50. It calmed me tremendously to know I always had an even chance.
gsurf

Post by gsurf »

Techno,
I'll be putting out good vibes for your family, thinking she'll be fine.

Gary
HALFMANRIPS/MIKE GARRETT

GOD BLESS !!

Post by HALFMANRIPS/MIKE GARRETT »

never give up on the power of prayer !

your in our's and may god comfort you and your family.

mike & cathy !
Man O' War

Post by Man O' War »

TECHNO,

Got your back over here too. You, your precious wife and kids will be put on our prayer chain tomorrow (Tues.).

Man O' War