knee injuries???

With the averge age of the kneeboarder these days this area should be used to post issues on health matters (surfer's ear, knee surgery, stretches, etc).

Moderator: Moderator

Steve Neal
Local (More than 25 post)

Knee injuries

Post by Steve Neal »

I've been a kneelo for about 30 years .7 years into kneeboarding I blew out my left knee so bad it took me a full year to get back on my board. To this day my knee still pops out of socket but for the most part its always on dry land.I've had a few instances were it will pop out in the water and it seems everytime its been when Im cranking a hard bottom turn.I surf alot of heavy beach break like Mugu,Hueneme&Strand and getting blasted by the lip has never seemed to give me any problems.
SFKneelo

Post by SFKneelo »

Yo Jack!
I've had to slow down on that around the house... scares the kids! :wink:
DrStrange
Legend (Contribution King!)

Post by DrStrange »

Just talked to a phys therapist today (ran into on the street, friend) he said if keep quads real strong you have enuf support from them to take all but really bad torque. Good mechanics is key though so powering through Hail Mary situations is probably a risk. I'm on it...
Birdie

Knee solutions

Post by Birdie »

Hi all...

I had knee surgery in 2000. Torn cartiledge (5 places) inside the left knee. Miniscus (sp?). Had a horrible recovery - quads and hams had sort of frozen up to make me stay off my knee...before and after surgery. I ran out of PT on my insurance in the first month, postsurgery...and went back to a 16 hour a day - run around on hard floors job. No a good recovery phase.

I took up sponging, wearing a BodyGlove neoprene knee brace. I bought a 44" Toobs Bomber and a pair of Churchills. I paddled out between sets and kicked around outside the surf zone. I paddled back in, between sets! I was just out working my legs with the fins. It hurt to have my knee jostled around, period. Finally, it healed enough so that I could catch waves - so - I got a BSD 42" and, later a screaming fast Industry 41". I spent a lot of time riding my bike. Bike riding is probably the single best way to build up your quads. Do Pilates and/or Yoga stretches, too.

The overall *best* exercise I have found, for my hips, knees, legs..is this H20 water aerobics class in the pool at the Y. I jog around with a flotation belt on, and they have you do all kinds of other things - like crunches, flutter and other kicks. Anyway....if my hips are out of adjustment or my legs or knees aren't quite right - that literally puts everything back and stretches and exercises all the muscles. It's the bomb. I no longer see chiropractors. I get fixed in the pool. I need to throw in more bike riding as part of the program.

Anyway, I am basically painfree, but am still "kneeshy" about surfing. I just put together a skateboard, and think an Indo board will help, too...

Meanwhile, I developed a hiatal hernia - from doing too many airs on a full stomach :wink: - which in turn aggravates my vagus nerve, which then sets my heart aflutter. Sponging can upset this, so, I need to get off my stomach.

I had a bitchin' bellyboard in the late 60's - multicoloured acid wash on the bottom, etc...and have missed the way bellyboards handle compared to the way sponges handle (duck dive??ha!!!) the whole time. I decided to get one or two made (still working out design ideas) and in the meantime....

I got a 5' Newport Paipo spooned out kneeboard ~ with the braided rope handles. Looks very 70's. Single fin. Excellent condition. Multicoloured Pin resin job. DayGlo green N on the deck. Classic.

Since I also have a Paul Lindberg Paipo, I thought I could just figure out how to Kneelo on my own.....

My first go out, I figured out that I go faster if I keep my hands on the deck or rails, and kick with the board in front of me - like one does with a Paipo. Forearms and hands on deck. Compared to being on it and paddling and kicking, the paipo approach was faster! I took a few waves in prone, but as the nose is actually very thick and the deck is spooned out, it was akward for popping up with just my arms a la sponging....it truly is a kneeboard, period.

So, then, I figured out that I needed to kick into the wave, like I would with a Paipo, pushing the board in front of me and keeping my hands on the rails near the braided handles and then, when getting some lift, grabbing the handles and pulling the board under my knees....

Except, I didn't get that far...I had to get out.

Now, if this was a bigger board and I was a smaller person, paddling on it, into the wave and popping up on my knees, would probably be the answer...but this is one short spooned out single fin fish tail Newport Paipo.

Doc if you get down around the Santa Monica Bay or Leo Carrillo or County Line, give me a holler...you may want to try this one on for size.

If anyone else is in the area and wants to go out and give me some pointers (besides to get a bigger board and one with more fins!) holler!

Other than that....Do the PT, bike, stretches, and try to find a H20 class at a Y or other pool (I think the red cross does them too)...or just plain swim with those short training fins on. Fabulous for your quads.

Is there a size chart anywhere for body/board size? I'm 5' 7" and weigh 225 and falling - have a lot of muscle mass, 14" biceps plus need to lose 40-50lbs.

Cheers

Birdie
Beeline2.0

Re: Knee solutions

Post by Beeline2.0 »

Last edited by Beeline2.0 on Fri Feb 29, 2008 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Birdie

Surfmat

Post by Birdie »

Yes, I have getting one of Dale's fab surfmats on my wish list.

I used to ride those canvas blue/yellow ones when I was...8 years old...in the 60's.

I don't believe a Nuematic SurfCraft will buck and pitch me off it in all sorts of pinwheeled twisted shapes...because I'm a lot bigger now than when I was a skinny little 8 year old.... the other good thing is getting through waves with one ought to be tad easier....<laughter>. I distinctly remember rope burn on my hands from trying to hang on to it, and having the thing smack me.

Trust me, I know *all* about not inflating those things too much unless you are in training for the rodeo. I'll never forget running back on the beach, sputtering, "we *have* to get some air out of these!!!". Live and learn! Then, I took too much air out and the thing would fold over and send me literally flying.....The joys of gromhood.

All I need now is a surfmat and some kid I can get to blow the thing up for me so I can die laughing watching their cheeks get sore and see them pass out from all the huffing and puffing....

Surfmat school - been there - done that!

Who knows, maybe rash guards will help keep that nasty rash away that occurs from the canvas/sand/skin rubbing combo...and maybe the nylon material Dale uses helps with that, too.

I'll find out when I get one.

But seriously, I'm going to the knees first, now, and then back peddling to a surfmat and the belly's.

Cheers

Birdie
DrStrange

Post by DrStrange »

Yeah, bicycle is the best for strengthening and grooving in good mechanics. I got a "recumbanent" stationary bike for FREE (long story). It has comfortable 'chair' seat and long cranks so I get full range of motion (legs straight to kness almost in stomach) and the slightly different positon of seating makes it work quads, hamstrings and gluts! Its the bomb.

That water aerobics sounds like its really the ticket...
Bryan Jackson
Ripper (more than 100 posts)
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

Crane Sinks Down...

Post by Bryan Jackson »

Here is an excellent knee strengthening excercise I learned in Tai Chi quite a few years ago :D . The martial arts tend to take their moves from the animal world. I believe this one is called "Crane Sinks Down".

1) Stand with your feet about twice-shoulder width apart, feet facing forward and in a similar position as you would use for doing squats in weight lifting.

2) Slowly and gracefully lower yourself down as far as possible onto one leg, ending up in the same position you might use when stretching out the hamstring musles before a jog. This might sound easy but is actually extremely difficult because you must remain in complete control all the way down and when you reach a certain point (usually about half way) your body weight is almost entirely supported by your knee and the tendency is to just collapse at that point :oops: . (Congratulations, you have just discovered your weak spot. Work on it!)

3) Slowly raise yourself back up to the semi-squatting position and then smoothly turn/transfer/shift your weight to the other leg.

4) This should all be done in one smooth flowing movement with no stopping, collapsing, sudden moves, etc. The key here is to do it as slowly and as in control as possible as that will work the muscles surrounding the knee joint. Once these muscles are sufficiently strengthened they will do a good job of protecting that joint.

5) Repeat exercise about a dozen times or so a day!

Of course, be very careful especially if you already have weak knees and/or knee injuries. When you are first learning when you reach that point of collapse it is best to just go with it until you have built up sufficient strength to resist it.

There are also some important associated arm movements and breathing patterns that go with this exercise. Consult a bonafide Tai Chi instructor or how-to book/video for details, but for now just place your hands on your thighs and breathe out as you go down and breathe in as you come back up.

This exercise really works well. I have practiced it for years and do it not only at home as part of my regular exercise routine but always BEFORE every surf session as it helps with not only strength conditioning but leg cramps as well!