Flu season hot tip

With the averge age of the kneeboarder these days this area should be used to post issues on health matters (surfer's ear, knee surgery, stretches, etc).

Moderator: Moderator

DrStrange
Legend (Contribution King!)

Flu season hot tip

Post by DrStrange »

You may know there is a bad-ass flu going around this year. Occilloccinum (a homeopathic) kicks the flu's ass! It really works. The earlier you start taking it after showing any symjptoms the better. Just follow the directions on the box and you won't have to miss any water time.
MWROBERTSON

Flu Tip

Post by MWROBERTSON »

How and where do we get this? Is it ove the counter?
Eric Carson

Post by Eric Carson »

Oscillococcinum comes from the heart and liver tissue of a duck. Viruses
reside in the RNA in this tissue. Ducks evidently carry flu viruses.
Therefore, somehow this made into a homepathic remedy, is thought to preventthe flu. Who knows. Another name for this is Anas barbariae.
It's widely available OTC at health stores.
Beeline2.0

Post by Beeline2.0 »

Last edited by Beeline2.0 on Wed Feb 27, 2008 10:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
DarcyM

Quack

Post by DarcyM »

I used to take Echinacea when I felt a cold or flu coming on. Word of mouth, someone I knew swore by it for making the symptoms go away much quicker. I thought it might have worked for me a couple times, but a recent study showed that it was no better than a placebo at lessening the symptoms.

someone always makes some money off of these things...
dm
dm

"Push the button, Max!"
DrStrange

Post by DrStrange »

Placebos ROCK! They have cured cancer with placebo. All it means is that your own body somehow did the deed. If I have to pay 5 or 10 bucks to activate my placebo and get over the flu in a day or two, I'll do it!
scoop

Post by scoop »

"Placebo" sure do ROCK
well the English band
I love most of their stuff they put out on the radio today....and im almost over the hill....("a friend in need is a friend in deed")

tony
Love that "greenroom" feeling...(don't panic I finally found it)..... good ole' winki on a good day
MTBarrels
Ripper (more than 100 posts)
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

Post by MTBarrels »

Since placebos have been demonstrated to be 'effective' about 30-percent of the time, a friend and I were once thinking about marketing them. However, we were unable to demonstrate that they were more effective than a placebo.
Experience gained is in proportion to equipment ruined.
surfhorn

Post by surfhorn »

I'm just getting over this flu. It wasn't too bad since I started treating it at the first signs.........lot'za fluids and I kept up with vitamins and minerals (which I lost due to drinking so much water).

My son brought the thing home from high school just before Thanksgiving. Thank goodness he is a senior this year. My 3 kids have brought so many colds and flus home from school. Its one of those 'bonuses' that the public school system never tells you about.

Years ago, when I worked with John at Freeline, we used to try different things to treat colds. We'd try this and that from the natrual food store down the street to see what worked. We finally came up with the only thing that would really work consistently........

a good flush from surfing.
kbing since plywood days
SFKneelo

Post by SFKneelo »

My Pop was just mentioning a prescription medication that's effective. Of course, I forgot the name of the drug. I'll ask again and post. I do remember him saying it's most effective if you get to the Doc and take the medication as early as possible...
DarcyM

Flushing

Post by DarcyM »

I agree, Surfhorn - best bet to beat the cold or flu is flush all that stuff out of your system with a good two-hour surf session!

There's a placebo I'll buy anyday!
dm
dm

"Push the button, Max!"
crox

Post by crox »

DarcyM - I just love your "Just pop to your knees & go" - It's so delightfully light hearted!
quadfin

flu

Post by quadfin »

Have been taking the chinese herb Astralagus and have not dropped yet. You know this post is going to jinx me now.
Beeline2.0

Post by Beeline2.0 »

Last edited by Beeline2.0 on Wed Feb 27, 2008 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DarcyM

sick sick sick

Post by DarcyM »

Starting feeling a little icky shortly after Black's gathering go-out. That was the first time I'd surfed less than 48 hrs after a storm, sorry to say, that may be the source of my current ills. Avoided a New Years' celebration and subsequent crowd contamination, but all to no good. Now it's a full blown nasty. Could have been bad water in the surf zone, could have been something else. Meanwhile clean surf yesterday and today, and I'm hunkered down in my jammies with juice and soup missing it all. Not fun, considering I've been off work since mid-Wednesday and as luck goes I'll probably be better by the time Monday rolls around and have to go back to work.

:cry: :cry: :cry:
dm

"Push the button, Max!"