ganglene, board lumps?

With the averge age of the kneeboarder these days this area should be used to post issues on health matters (surfer's ear, knee surgery, stretches, etc).

Moderator: Moderator

feralmick
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

ganglene, board lumps?

Post by feralmick »

hello folks, got a lump on the top of each foot, about half the size of a golfball. Rarely bother me in summer but cold water means pain. Doctor told me it was a ganglene and not serious, i was so relieved i walked out without a proper explanation. Anyone know how to get rid of the buggers.
Beeline2.0
Legend (Contribution King!)

Post by Beeline2.0 »

Last edited by Beeline2.0 on Fri Feb 29, 2008 12:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mike Fernandez

Post by Mike Fernandez »

If they are hard, not liquidy, they could be calcium lumps from wearing your fins, or resting your feet on the board while riding without any padding. I had lumps on the top of my feet back in the day. They were like boxers knuckle, one big lump above the arch. They will go away when you stop kneeboarding :shock: or you can try wearing some booties for padding. :wink:
Last edited by Mike Fernandez on Thu Dec 06, 2007 6:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
I am a traveller of both time and space, a weaver in and out of dreams, I see worlds seldom seen.

www.michaelfernandezphoto.com
Rocky Point/Black Rock
http://www.youtube.com/user/kneelocoveproduction
feralmick

much obliged

Post by feralmick »

many thanks for that. I`d done a search before but obviously had the wrong spelling. Apparently easily treated but possibly an early sign of arthritis. Getting older is definitely a learning experience. :shock:
Bob

Post by Bob »

I had them on the tops of my feet. Switched fins and they went away.

Stiff fins seem to cause them more than flexible fins.

I used to see old pictures in the surf mags of the same lumps on top of longboarder's feet in the 60's or 70's.
Kauaikneelo

surf bumps or roids....are you a "surfer"

Post by Kauaikneelo »

You mean surfers are not suppose to have those? We called them nobs. Back in the day that was the way to tell a kook from a real surfer. Now.....who knows if your are or not, until the blond washes out of their hair. :oops: :oops:

And while I'm ranting.....WHO started calling sitting on your butt in front of a machine "Surfing"....fricken geeks. I guess that means roids are the new "surf" bumps. (Butt nobs?) I'll pass on checking that method of determining if your a surfer.

sorry...I'll go now. :D :D :D
Aloha from the Kingdom of Atooi
Beeline2.0

Re: surf bumps or roids....are you a "surfer"

Post by Beeline2.0 »

Last edited by Beeline2.0 on Fri Feb 29, 2008 12:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KneeBumps

Post by KneeBumps »

Kauaikneelo wrote:You mean surfers are not suppose to have those? We called them nobs. Back in the day that was the way to tell a kook from a real surfer. Now.....who knows if your are or not, until the blond washes out of their hair. :oops: :oops: .
Hence, my name.....although mine disappeared years ago, probably because I don't surf enuf nowadays..

If they are truly ganglion cysts, my doc told me I could have surgery, but the best way to deal with them is to just mash them-use a rubber mallet. Seriously.
"All I want in this life of mine is some good clean fun
All I want in this life and time is some hit and run"
Lowell George
feralmick

Post by feralmick »

thanks for the input folks, learnt a bit and got a few laughs. Didn`t have to wash the blond out, well and truly grey now. :D
Still only guessing but more educated now-i suspect that Ganglion Cyst is the medical name for board lumps(also caused by other means).
A woman i work for had one on her hand which went away after a big knock.
I won`t use a mallet but gathering the courage to use a rolled up newspaper. :shock:
Mine are usually only a small problem towards the end of winter, but recently spent 3 weeks 2000 klms south. To me, it`s winter all year down there. :cry:
Bought some booties which helped, though now i need larger fins.
Wearing Hydro fins which were the softest i could find, and the cheapest.
Churchill`s are supposed to be good, but expensive. ANY SUGGESTIONS.
P.S. Living 1 hour inland these days, where land is almost affordable. Cyber surfing is almost as good as the real thing some days.
quadfin

Post by quadfin »

KneeBumps wrote:
Kauaikneelo wrote:You mean surfers are not suppose to have those? We called them nobs. Back in the day that was the way to tell a kook from a real surfer. Now.....who knows if your are or not, until the blond washes out of their hair. :oops: :oops: .
Hence, my name.....although mine disappeared years ago, probably because I don't surf enuf nowadays..

If they are truly ganglion cysts, my doc told me I could have surgery, but the best way to deal with them is to just mash them-use a rubber mallet. Seriously.
Still proud to have my knee knots after 47 years of knee paddling and then knee boarding. Didn't use pads on the deck of my boards until a few years ago and surf mostly without wetsuits. They have gone down since switching to longboard traction pads.

My foot knots went away after switching to Churchill Slashers.
Surf Hard Live Slow
gene west

knots

Post by gene west »

classic surfknots, wear em' with pride,had mine since the 60's, great fashion statement! KauaiKneelo- love your Rant brah! Sure your not from the underground?
geno