melanoma

With the averge age of the kneeboarder these days this area should be used to post issues on health matters (surfer's ear, knee surgery, stretches, etc).

Moderator: Moderator

willli
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

melanoma

Post by willli »

I have cancer. An old enemy, metastatic melanoma, has asserted itself after lying dormant for some years. I have a large tumor in my abdominal cavity. For those interested in precision, I’m stage 4, inoperable. Now I can think back to numerous occasions where I was beyond stage 4 in the fire department, virtually certain I was about to meet the other side, but I survived. I have enrolled in a clinical trial at Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center, a promising new approach to turn one’s immune system against cancer. It has heavy side effects, but I’ll take those in exchange for life. Nothing is certain, but I have an equal chance it will work.
In the normal course of my life I would not discuss this matter with anyone but family, and for some time I have, but the situation is now defined and some benefit may come to my speaking. Do not ignore anything suspicious on your skin. Calling melanoma skin cancer is an oxymoron, considering once metastatic it can access ANY organ in the body. I lost my adrenal glands to it 18 years ago, have had Addison’s disease ever since. Now I’m losing weight, energy, muscle mass. My physical problems caused by this disease over the years forced me to seek alternative wavecraft. Through most of the eighties I rode a lid (BB). In the nineties those who remembered me from the 60’s and 70’s convinced me to try longboarding. It was a fun time but I kept longing for the performance of shortboards. On my own I made the decision to switch to KB. Thank god for Bud’s website, without him I would have been lost. These past years have been the best surf years of my life.
I may have already ridden my last wave, without planning, without knowing. I’m in my late 50’s so that is less a regret than a hope that I’m wrong. This is my first and last post on this subject. When I get back in the water I’ll have something to say. God bless you all.
willli
gene west
Legend (Contribution King!)

ca

Post by gene west »

Willi, here's hoping you have a long life brah-we're thinking of you
geno
KenM

Post by KenM »

Will, wishing you strength in all ways as you fight this battle. Many here will be praying for you. You DO NOT need to make this your last post on this subject. If you feel it will be helpful, continue keeping us informed or use the pm if you want to speak privately. I am sure that virtually everyone on this sight would like to do what they can to help you. As most of us are close to you in age many have confronted difficult if not as serious issues and some may have insights that may help even if only in some small way.
Scott

Post by Scott »

Very serious post, Willy, but thank you for making it. Much to think about...

My thoughts and prayers are with you.
jimithesaint
Local (More than 25 post)

Post by jimithesaint »

Willi,
I'm very sorry to hear of the recurrance

Stay strong, keep fighting and don't lose hope!

Keep posting when you feel up to it, there are alot of KBers out here pulling for your recovery

Jim N
Mark Ramirez

Post by Mark Ramirez »

Willi, Hang in there brah, No matter what please don't give up! I'll pray for you.
jadams3

Post by jadams3 »

Willi,

Powerful post !

Fight the good fight and we're all pulling for you.....

Thanks for sharing......

Aloha......John Adams
Aloha.......JA
surfhorn

Post by surfhorn »

Willi- My family and I will keep you in our prayers.

-Dan
kbing since plywood days
SFKneelo

Post by SFKneelo »

Willi,

Exactly what KenM said.

Our prayers are with you, and, hopefully we stay connected through this battle as well.

I hope we can all give you much spiritual strength beyond the words of wisdom.

Exactly what KenM said.

SFK
randiego

Post by randiego »

Willi - best of luck to you. Hard to know what to say to something like this, but the community will be thinking of you.

It's a post like this that really snaps you back to what's truly important.
Kauaikneelo

Share cuz we care

Post by Kauaikneelo »

Willi: "God gives us all we can handle". Which sucks when you think about it, cuz you don't know you can handle it until you do.

You post is and should be an "wake up call" to all of us. I know most of us take a "day" for granted.

We ARE a support group (of some kind) and please let us(me) be informed on your healing progress, think it and believe it. Mentally send your immune soldiers after those bastard cells and destroy! Lets get the message out. Lotta positive can come from this band of misfits. Aloha to you and yours. -s
Aloha from the Kingdom of Atooi
DarcyM

Post by DarcyM »

Willi,

I'm very sorry to hear also of this terrible illness.

There is much that modern medicine can do, and much you can do by staying positive and taking the best care of yourself as you can. Stay strong, stay positive, and fight the good fight!

Hope you'll be in the water again soon.
dm

"Push the button, Max!"
Mike Fernandez

Post by Mike Fernandez »

Willi, thank you for telling us what is happening, and for the extremely important information regarding the spread of Melanoma to organs.
I thought skin cancer just stayed on your skin.
You might have saved some lives with that info in the future. I know I for one will be a cautious person from now on.
Your in my prayers brother.
I am a traveller of both time and space, a weaver in and out of dreams, I see worlds seldom seen.

www.michaelfernandezphoto.com
Rocky Point/Black Rock
http://www.youtube.com/user/kneelocoveproduction
weirdo

Post by weirdo »

Hi Willi,
Im sorry to hear your news. I work in cancer research (specifically brain tumours)...but if your after any info on anything pm me and I'll look it up for you.
I am currently working on a vaccine which bascially re-educates the immune system that the tumour 'shouldnt' be there. Our first study using the vaccine had a 70% cure rate (in rats)... so pretty excited.

Are you doing some sort of adjuvant therapy?.. or on an anti-VEGF/cisplatin combo or somthing like that.

Let us know how you are getting on.

Cheers

Chris (Weirdo)
Headwax.

Post by Headwax. »

Hya Willli,

I've been 'away' and missed your post.

Hope you are travelling well.

If you get a chance, give us another one of your literary creations :)

I especially like this one:

viewtopic.php?t=338

cheers mate