Cancer Screening

With the averge age of the kneeboarder these days this area should be used to post issues on health matters (surfer's ear, knee surgery, stretches, etc).

Moderator: Moderator

alfredo zavala
Legend (Contribution King!)

Cancer Screening

Post by alfredo zavala »

I am a radiation Therapist
I treat cancer patients with radiation for local control of cancer.
For a while I've thought about writing a post concerning the importance of early detection and cancer. specifically prostate cancer.
Willi's courageous post encouraged me to do so. As well as the recent news of musician Dan Fogleberg loss with his fight with prostate cancer.
Being that most of the people on this site are males and over 40 years old (or fast approaching there)I would like to STRONGLY encourage you guys to get yearly physicals!
When you get these physicals make sure your M.D. does a Digital Rectal Exam(DRE) if you're over 50(some say 40) or at least a P.S.A.(Prostate Specific Antigen) check on your blood work.
We as men are so blessed because prostate cancer ,as far as I know, is the ONLY cancer that shows up very early in your blood with this PSA marker!
If your PSA is elevated your doctor can then take the next simple step of a biopsy to confirm if cancer is there or not.
If there, prostate cancer grows very slowly and your chances of getting rid of it early is VERY GOOD!!
Likewise there are alot of options on how to treat it(I think radiation is the best route)
Big Picture: Don't avoid seeing your doctor yearly and make sure they are checking out your prostate with DRE's or PSA blood work.
And while you're at it. if you're 50 or over your doctor might want to consider a colonoscopy as well!
Getting old is a drag - I know!
This may be old info for some of you out there but I just thought it might help.
Oh yeah and like Willi said don't forget to have those strange things on your skin looked at too
Another hazard particular to our demographic!!
Thanks for listening to my sermon :)
Peace to all and our prayers are with ya Willi!
Last edited by alfredo zavala on Sun Jan 06, 2008 2:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
surfhorn

Post by surfhorn »

Thanx for the post, Alfredo. Most of us know this but need the reminder all the time. I think that things like this hit surfers especially hard since most of us have spent a healthy, active life and then- boom- major illness. A yearly check up is mandatory. I lost my younger brother to cancer of the small intestine a couple years ago and I'm still grieving.

Local Santa Cruz shaper Steve Colletta is battling prostate cancer. There will be a benefit on January 21st at The Rio Theater to help his family with the expenses.

Hang in there Willli. Our prayers are with you.
kbing since plywood days
alfredo zavala

Post by alfredo zavala »

Yeah, almost all of my patients thought it would never happen to them.
Getting old helps to show us we're not invincible! :wink:
bdwqld
Ripper (more than 100 posts)
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

Post by bdwqld »

For the last 5 years I get regular checkups at a Skin Cancer Clinic. I have spent most of my working (surveyor) and personal life in the sun. For 30 years I have had nothing to worry about. The last 12 months I have had 8 removed, 4 of them surgically. The last one was in my groin which had not seen very much sun. The mole was actually getting smaller, first assumption it was "going away". :roll:
I had it removed and the biopsy came back as positve, luckily the surgeon removed enough to cover the melanoma.
Any changes get them checked as soon as possible. :!:
Even though I cover up both in and out of the water, after 50 years of sun, the damage is already done. :mad:
The lesson:"cover up before the damage is done".
Good Luck and Good Health to all. :)
"Start at the Knees Please"
http://neepro.blogspot.com/
jimithesaint
Local (More than 25 post)
Local (More than 25 post)

Post by jimithesaint »

Good topic Alfredo,
I'm 48 and was diagnosed with Prostate Cancer @ 45 (only had my PSA checked cause my girlfriend asked me to) I had surgery and it seems to be gone But I still get checked every 6 months.

Based on the pathology if I had waited until I was 50 to start getting checked the situation propably would have been much worse. Ironically when I has recooperating from Prostate surgery Johnny Ramone died from Prostate cancer.

Another thing which hasn't been mentioned is the hereditatry link - If you have male relatives who have had PC your risk is much higher.

My thoughts and prayers are with Steve C and his family.

Jim N
alfredo zavala

Post by alfredo zavala »

Thanks Jim for sharing your story
surfhorn

Post by surfhorn »

I have surf buddies who are dermatologists and they donate their time to hold a free screening clinic each year at O'Neill's Surf Shop on 41st Avenue. The shop closes down and they use the fitting rooms as screening rooms.
They also run a booth with two, private screening rooms at The Lane during the O'Neill Cold Water Classic ASP contest.

Check with the surfing community in your area - maybe they hold similar screenings. Its the least you should do. If they don't, maybe its time a KBer stands up and gets one started in your community.
kbing since plywood days
surfhorn

Post by surfhorn »

The benefit for the Steve Coletta Family went really well last night. Held at The Rio Theater in Santa Cruz all the crew turned out, from big wave chargers Adam Repogle and Flea to Surftech owner Randy French......and all the Eastside and Westside characters, as well.

And it was a generous crowd if the overflowing raffle ticket cage was any indication. Our very own kneeboard guru JOHN MEL was the MC and one of the organizers of the event. Local shapers donated over 10 surfboards and NHS?Santa Cruz Skateboard owner Rich Novak donated about 20 killer skate decks- definitely wall-hanger quality. And shops kicked in a ton of goodies. I even scored: a limited edition 5/3 wetsuit worn by the Maverick's Water Patrol (just in time: we are expecting snow on local peaks if not the beach).

Prostate cancer is nothing to fool around with. If you're getting towards 50 y/o get a yearly check up. These days its a simple blood draw and only takes a day or two for the results (no gloved finger).

Early detection = a full and long life with your loved ones.
kbing since plywood days
Kev

Post by Kev »

this thread rattled my cage

saw a Doc yesterday
off for a PSA test today ... when the 12 hours of fasting is done
alfredo zavala

Post by alfredo zavala »

Good on ya mate!

Let me know how it went.

Its best to know where you're at ! :D
Scott

Post by Scott »

Great posts, Surfhorn and Fredo!
Kev

Post by Kev »

alfredo zavala wrote:... Let me know how it went ...
saw the Doc today for the results
it's all good

he did rattle numbers at me but I don't think I paid attention to the details
the blood test was for more than just a PSA
but
the PSA was fine
the Cholesterol was 4.5 (I think) that's higher than my last one when I was mid 20's
Sugar was 4 point ?? something
I drink too much Coke but it doesn't look like diabetes is on the way
but
the X-rays tell a story of damaged feet
:(
I can add that to the X-rays that show the damaged knees
and
the damaged vertebra in the lower back and a damaged bit high in the neck
:shock:
and I've got a loose right shoulder

so I'm not so good with bones, cartilage and ligaments

but I'm OK
8)

" Doc ... how can I ease the aches and pains "
" relax and rest ... don't do those things that agravate the various conditions "
" So ... no climbing mountains BUT Surfing is OK then ... " :D
:shock: " umm ... well at your age you should rea ... "
" THANKS DOC seeya later "
8)

no .. not quite true
the Doc was great
a bit of a surfer himself and we talked boards for a while
actually a bit about thicker more floaty boards for us older cruisier surfers
he gave me some massage tips for the sore bits
be more aware of the bits that hurt and invent some work arounds and change style a little
alfredo zavala

Post by alfredo zavala »

Really stoked you got your PSA checked and all good!

Except those old bones! :D

Cheers

Fredo
KAVA

Post by KAVA »

just had surgery last week where they removed a baseball sized benign tumor from the base of my skull/back of my neck. wasnt too bad i havent had any pain and glad to have it out
"Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air… "
-Ralph Waldo Emerson
6'1", dean cleary tri, 6'0 Flashpoint tri, 5'9 chuck dent (epoxy quad), 9' velzy (single fin triple stringer)
alfredo zavala

Post by alfredo zavala »

Just an added note concerning prostate cancer awareness:

Please remember to get a P.S.A. test EVERY YEAR!

I am personally acquainted with a person who had a slightly elevated PSA reading,then didn't get another for 5 YEARS!

Lets just say that when he checked it again it was 494 (astronomically high)

He now has bone metastasis as a result of not catching it early!!!

EARLY DETECTION IS KEY!!

You ladies mustn't forget your pap smears and mammograms especially if family history exists.

On another note:

God speed and heal you KAVA!! Glad to know that all is well. :D