Diet and Conditioning

With the averge age of the kneeboarder these days this area should be used to post issues on health matters (surfer's ear, knee surgery, stretches, etc).

Moderator: Moderator

quadfin
Legend (Contribution King!)

Diet and Conditioning

Post by quadfin »

Have been on the Atkins Diet and dropped 30 in 3 months and my Dr. lowered my BP medicine dosage. Starting to lose muscle mass though and that ain't good.

Any good maintenance plans out there?
DrStrange

Post by DrStrange »

Hmmmm, shouldn't be loosing muscle with all that protein intake. Unless you've slipped into low fat intake. For overall diet I really like the book Nourishing Traditions by Fallon and Enig.

Might think about a Doc visit and have a full endocrine work up just in case. Testosterone and DHEA are factors but need to all be balanced out...

I'm in the middle of that myself. 54 years and I tell, that male menopause is no damn joke. Was feeling all sort of weak and timid and low energy for a long time. Discovered my thyroid is about non-existant and my testoserone is good amount but all in bound form so not useful and DHEA is low and estrogen a bit high. Sheesh! But the good news is a little tinkering and I'm coming back. Another month or 2 and I should be full steam. Happy new year to me!
doc
Ripper (more than 100 posts)
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

Post by doc »

This is maybe of use....what's your body fat % now? Also, if you're just mostly dieting without a major exercise program in place then you tend to start to lose muscle mass and fat around 50/50. Might want to start taking on some fats, possibly some carbos and a good ( concept II ) rowing machine or something.
quadfin

Post by quadfin »

Thanks guys. I might have overdone the "no carbs" part. Just about eliminated them from my diet. My exercise depends on the surf but ocean swim almost everyday.

Didn't think about the thyroid Doc. Had my left lobe jerked out in 96 but the right side had been producing OK. Haven't had it checked in a while. Will try to get a checkup here in the states before I head back to my rock.

Quick story on medical facilities on my work rock:

Got sick and went to the local hospital with a very high fever. Was given a serving number like 198 and looked down the hall at a line of people. Felt like Beetlejuice. Nurse walks by and sees how sick I am and takes me to the front of the line. A goat walks past me going the opposite direction. A riot ensues led by a guy that had the next up number. The nurse asks what number he has and he shows her. She jerks it out of his hand and yells "come back in two weeks". She turns to the mob and yells "anybody else have a problem"...no one did and they sat down. Dr. gives me a cup and tells me to piss in the cup. I look for a restroom and he says "just piss in the cup". Dr grabs the cup and dips what looks like PH paper (ungloved mind you) in the urine. Gave me antibiotics and I lived to surf again.
hart

Health care

Post by hart »

Hey Quadfin,

What happened to the goat?
DrStrange

Post by DrStrange »

Hospital like that I'm guessing he was headed for the kitchen to get ah, served.
quadfin

Re: Health care

Post by quadfin »

hart wrote:Hey Quadfin,

What happened to the goat?
Goat was being chased out of the hospital like I thought I was about to be.

Free roam animals on my rock (St. Eustatius) is a political hot potato. The animals are literally stripping the island of vegetation and erosion is rampant. The Dutch government is withholding certain aid to the island but my hardheaded friends still won't fence or thin the animals.