Strength and conditioning

With the averge age of the kneeboarder these days this area should be used to post issues on health matters (surfer's ear, knee surgery, stretches, etc).

Moderator: Moderator

Eric Carson
Legend (Contribution King!)

Strength and conditioning

Post by Eric Carson »

Besides kneeboarding , what exercises are you riders doing?
Lately, I've been using an ab roller (kicking my butt too) along with pull ups, pool swimming and beach flag sprints.
My goal is to increase my body core strength through high reps without gaining any bulk.
doc
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

Post by doc »

Blue collar work and avoiding driving automobiles.

It's amazing how many people get off their riding lawnmowers ( or park their snow blowers) to get into their cars and drive to the gym. The walk to the store or riding the bike to and from someplace a mile away is not only good exercise, it's downright pleasant.

The other nice thing is that unlike many exercises, work is steady, long and doesn't specificly and repetitively stress joints that are ( in my case) a little past their warranty date.
Birdie
Local (More than 25 post)

Post by Birdie »

Pilates is excellent for core (torso) conditioning.
red

Post by red »

I kneel in front of the telly and lean into turns - hold each side for 10 seconds
It's a killer - strengthens those "love-handle" muscles, lower back and all the other ones you use during actual kneeboarding - beats yoga postures hands down!
But, then again, I think nothing of a 10-15km walk, and do cycling, manual labour and other exercise, so this is more of a focussed top up.
barkingwave
Grom (25 or less posts to site)
Grom (25 or less posts to site)

Post by barkingwave »

surfhorn

Post by surfhorn »

Ride my stationary bike each morning to warm up the muscles. Then use rubber bands to stretch the upper body. But I now have to find a new activity to reallybuild up my cardio.

Up until this year, I was a soccer referee for high school and college so I got in my share of running. But after breaking my rt ankle 3 times and way too many years wearing Duck Feet, I retired from refing. Refing really gave me a work out: 2, 45 minute halves running frontside, sideways and backwards with teenagers a minimum of 4 times per week (I'm 50 y/o) will keep you in shape.

It lools like I will be returning to swimming (I swam comp from 7 y/o into college). It looks to be a good non impact sport for me.

But, of course, I really should retire and KB everyday!
kbing since plywood days
TimG

Post by TimG »

For the legs (especially calves) 1/4mi hill repeats w/running backwards on the downhill. Really put an end to cramps for me (esp. important at 45 yr). Also helps aerobic/anaerobic conditioning.

Row machine, resistance work and paddling (or swimming when flat) for upper torso. Crunches and yoga/pilates stuff for core.
DavidW

Post by DavidW »

A good warm up is the best. Also drink water before you go out. I find that if I surf somewhere that I just get out of the car and walk across the sand to paddle out I sometimes get cramps. However, everytime I surf somewhere that involves a bit of a hike or walk I rarely get cramps.
stemple

Post by stemple »

I lift 12 oz weights as much as possible during the week. Ussually, as walk to the break I grab some grom and lift them over my head a few times and toss him/her to the side. I find this warms the muscles up and intimidates any of the little buggers from dropping in on me later on.
hart

Jack and the Beanstalk

Post by hart »

Hey Stemple,

If we ever meet, remind me to wait in the car until you paddle out, mate.

I'm no grommet..but I won't push my luck either!

And you're right..it always helps to sort out the line up BEFORE you hit the water.

It's all good..and I'm waiting for another one.

Bruce.
red

Post by red »

12oz is a pretty big beer. I go more more hi-rep 6oz
kripchik

Post by kripchik »

Yeah I too have been going for the high rep 6oz workout, over the festive season.

Cheers
Sophia
Surf coz U can!
Eric Carson

Post by Eric Carson »

someone left a beer bong at my house-36 oz. killer. Heavy weight low reps. Hmm, maybe for a gathering.
Beeline2.0

Post by Beeline2.0 »

Last edited by Beeline2.0 on Wed Feb 27, 2008 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WillP

Post by WillP »

I've been jogging 2 miles per day since May. I've noticed a huge increase in stamina, but a loss of muscle mass. I want to lift wieghts, but I don't want to bulk up. Any tips?