Strengthening the muscles around your knee

With the averge age of the kneeboarder these days this area should be used to post issues on health matters (surfer's ear, knee surgery, stretches, etc).

Moderator: Moderator

Jack Beresford
Legend (Contribution King!)

Strengthening the muscles around your knee

Post by Jack Beresford »

Does anyone have any tips for strengthening the muscles around the knee? I blew out my knee recently doing a turn - not quite sure how bad it is just yet. It was suggested I try to build up those muscles so I avoid a repeat.

I suppose I'm not the only one on this site who might benefit from some advice in this important area!

Jack
Beeline2.0

Post by Beeline2.0 »

Last edited by Beeline2.0 on Fri Feb 29, 2008 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
C.P.Odom

Post by C.P.Odom »

Cycling is good but it is very linear; meaning it will not build strength to resist rotation. Trail running is excellent but you will need to recover before starting.
kbk66
Local (More than 25 post)

Post by kbk66 »

I've had several knee surgeries, and if you decide to run do it on sand its more forgiving, leg curls are the best way to strengthen the thigh, then lay down on your stomach and do reverse curls, this is info from my orthopedic surgeon, and make sure when doing any type of sports you have good shoes, all my problems started at my feet and worked their way up, good luck on the knee
albert

Re: Strengthening the muscles around your knee

Post by albert »

Jack Beresford wrote: I blew out my knee recently doing a turn -
dont do turns and you wont have that problem!
:lol:
frankfqr
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

re-hab

Post by frankfqr »

A BIG part of my knee re-hab was using those rolling platforms ( I forget the name). But I know you've probably seen them. Like a rocking see-saw, specificaly to strengthen all the muscles around the knee. That an bicycle. Low impact. Good luck Jack.......
Mark Ramirez

Post by Mark Ramirez »

Frank, Are you thinking of Tony Little's Gazell work-out machine? You're spot-on about doing things low impact. Jack if you want to cycle do it gradual at first, and then build up resistance as your knee gets better. :)
KenM

Post by KenM »

Squats are good. You can hold dumbells to add resistance and doing them on a balance board is good too.
Jack Beresford

knee

Post by Jack Beresford »

Albert:

dont do turns and you wont have that problem!
Laughing

You sound like my doctor!

Thanks for all the other good input - keep it coming! Cruising isn't an option!

Jack
Jack Beresford
SFKneelo

Post by SFKneelo »

Jack,

KenM.

Squats are good, form is very important.

You've tweaked your cartiledge, and perhaps your MCL.

First off is to get the assessment I mentioned. Understanding the extent of the damage is very important.

Look into support braces for surfing, ala neoprene sleeves at the least, open patella with stays perhaps as the most. Bastion that puppy.

Your damage isn't as much about the strength of your quads, but against the lateral motion outwards. Strengthening the quads will help support the structure, but the lateral motion isn't bastioned by that alone.

There's a skiier exercise, where you hop across a plane. Plant the outer and be ginger on the inner... land on your outer and be ginger on your inner... like an exagerated parallel move. That can be ramped up.

There are exercises that will make you worse off, like using some weight room machines.

Seriously... you're best bet is to get that puppy assessed, get the P/T referral, and check in ASAP!

Call for more...
kbk66

Post by kbk66 »

google- bad knee workout
frankfqr

re-hab

Post by frankfqr »

Ken's got it. Balance board, that's generic, but the product name is (googled) "Indo board", that one sounds good but there are many versions. All same principal, multi motion, side to side. Knee muscle specific. BUT, SFK, hit it perfect, if your feeling lot's of discomfort after a short time get it checked. Activity could cause more damage.
SFKneelo

Post by SFKneelo »

Jack, again, you're talking short term... phone? Also, Dr. Bill...
KenM

Post by KenM »

For some in pool knee rehab exercises check out the book Heal Your Knees by Dr Robert Klapper. That is, after you call Dr Bill. :wink:
KenM

Post by KenM »

If your into yoga the pose Virabhadrasana II (no, I can't pronounce it) also known as warrior pose 2 is highly recommended for the knees. For those not into yoga it's basically a lunge.