No Pads?

With the averge age of the kneeboarder these days this area should be used to post issues on health matters (surfer's ear, knee surgery, stretches, etc).

Moderator: Moderator

Nov
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

Post by Nov »

Pads are absolutely essential. I've tried surfing without them and just did not do anything the entire surf, it was just go straight and throw a weak turn in here and there. It was just too uncomfortable.
ross
Legend (Contribution King!)

Post by ross »

I was actually discussing this with young DY Damo the other day. A man who happily chooses to go padless.
During my time as a scabby long term unemployed youth i spent a few years not using pads due to being a tight arse. The truth is i prefer the grip that wax gives. After Experiencing a searing pain in the upper part of my shin bone. I had torn my Patella Tendon. Turns out your Patella Tendon is anchored to the shin bone.Youch.
As Steeno was saying going padless is not conducive to doing lots of whoopdi-do's and whirli- giggers.(or words to that effect) :lol:
So pads it is, for me. But jeez i miss the feel of wax :cry:

On the subject of pads that you wear on your legs, i reckon your probably increasing the compression on the joint. Because all that material wedge behind the back of your knee is bunching up, causing the kneejoint to open up(spread). Bit like stuffing a three inch nail into a door hinge and shutting it( sorry carpenters analogy there :oops: )

Something worth mentioning is that your board is always gonna feel as hard as the knobs of hell if you are already used to pads. just like your fingers feel rooted when you learn to play guitar :wink:
Mike Fernandez

Post by Mike Fernandez »

Never surfed without either a wetsuit over my knees, or the legs cut off the wetsuit to put over my knees. The only regret I have about pads, and I say this while I slap my head with my hand, is that I didn't invent them back in the day :evil:
I am a traveller of both time and space, a weaver in and out of dreams, I see worlds seldom seen.

www.michaelfernandezphoto.com
Rocky Point/Black Rock
http://www.youtube.com/user/kneelocoveproduction
Kauaikneelo

miss the wax

Post by Kauaikneelo »

Love the pads from Ed, especially in warm water, but kinda miss pulling the wax off my belly button hair ! :lol: :lol:

I wax in front of the pads and along the rails for some grab, but mostly because I LOVE the smell of surf wax. mmmmmmm
Aloha from the Kingdom of Atooi
NIUHI GRIPS

Post by NIUHI GRIPS »

PADS, PADS, PADS.....!!!!
DOES GOOD TO YOUR KNEES!!! 8)
Beeline2.0

Post by Beeline2.0 »

Last edited by Beeline2.0 on Fri Feb 29, 2008 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
skansand

Post by skansand »

i like pads :)
Tide is the master, tide can be a disaster...-Dub side of the Moon
BillL

Post by BillL »

Well, back in the day..... When my boards did'nt have pads they would last 6-8 months and they were glassed 6&4 oz deck with a 6 oz patch. They would soon delaminate and would either snap or get heavy and I'd have to wear a v-ball knee pad to surf. To me, pads are a wonderful thing after you get used to them. The boards now last for years, my knees are happy and I feel like I'm on a magic carpet ride. FYI, one of the reasons Steve Lis quit kneeriding is because his "knees couldn't take the punishment anymore".
albert

Post by albert »

BillL wrote: FYI, one of the reasons Steve Lis quit kneeriding is because his "knees couldn't take the punishment anymore".
Well at least he never put pads on his boards... what would Geno say then??
W.G. Facenda

Post by W.G. Facenda »

I guess Lis still drops in on knees on no paddle takeoffs.He said," he wants to be able to walk when he's fifty" , well passed fifty now ...I have been kneeriding for 38 yrs now and been using pads for twenty of those yrs. Also, been working on my knees on Yachts for 32 yrs.So......my knees are Gnarly!! You could hit my monkey knee's with a hammer and I would laugh! :twisted: :twisted: :lol: I have to admit I feel bad putting a pad on a beautiful new Lis :oops: I use real thin pad too. I like the low center of gravity feel. That is why I kneeride.
KenM

Post by KenM »

W.G., I'm with you, I like that low center too. When I get a new board I will ride it without pads long enough to get some decent depressions in the deck and then put the pads on. I actually prefer not using them but have found what Bill said to be true, it increases the life of the board.

----------------------
Shoulder huggin' chicken
Mark Ramirez

Post by Mark Ramirez »

I've only had pads on a couple of my boards in my 36 years of kneeboarding, opting to go with no pads most of the time. It seems that by wearing my full wetsuit is enough padding on my knees. (4mil.) I don't kneeboard that much in the summertime for my knees to start hurting.
Craig

Post by Craig »

Inlaid flush deck pad, best of both worlds 8)

sTilL a gROm
skansand

Post by skansand »

craig said it!... i think eric shoelkopf is the best person to go to for this....

dont know what the operation would cost...but its soooo worth it if you dont like being 1/2" off the board.....
Tide is the master, tide can be a disaster...-Dub side of the Moon
ScottMac

Post by ScottMac »

Last edited by ScottMac on Thu Mar 19, 2009 6:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.