My aching Neck!

With the averge age of the kneeboarder these days this area should be used to post issues on health matters (surfer's ear, knee surgery, stretches, etc).

Moderator: Moderator

MWROBERTSON
Legend (Contribution King!)

Neck

Post by MWROBERTSON »

I just call a call from Jim at the hospital. He's going in for surgery tomorrow morning at 11am. They will try to fuse the fractures back together with puddy and wire.

He said he will be in a brace for 4-6 weeks.

I told him me and the rest of the kneelo crew will be pulling for him!

Good luck Jim! 8)
SFKneelo

Post by SFKneelo »

Between all the banter, this is what is truly important.

Jim, our prayers are with you, wishing a complete recovery!
Craig
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

Post by Craig »

Hang in there Jim we are praying for a full and speedy recovery!

See you in the water soon.
cali_chick
Grom (25 or less posts to site)

Post by cali_chick »

Jim,

As you rest and heal, know that you are thought of warmly and wished a quick recovery.

There is no medicine like hope, no incentive so great, and no tonic so powerful as expectation of something tomorrow.
-- Orison Swett Marden
~a simple girl with simple passions; hand me my board, get out of my way.~
khoningford
Local (More than 25 post)
Local (More than 25 post)

Get well, Jim

Post by khoningford »

hey Jim,
just want you to know that I,m praying for you buddy and for you to keep a positive attitude & stay focused on your recovery. Your spot in the line-up will be waiting for you till then. Good luck, Bro...

Kenny
spidah da kneeridah
maxb

Post by maxb »

just talked to jim on the phone a couple hrs.ago. he had surgery yesterday and it seems to be successful,but only time will tell.he seems to be in pretty good spirits keep him in your thoughts and prayers
kbing newport
southpeakbrad

Post by southpeakbrad »

Thanks for the report Max. Hey Jim, hang in there and take it one day at a time. Get well soon!
FLwaves

Post by FLwaves »

Glad to hear the surgery was successful Jim. I wish you a full and speedy recovery. Keep the spirits up!
BillL

Post by BillL »

Here's to a safe and fast recovery Jim. I hope you're back in the water sooner than you think!
KneeBumps

Post by KneeBumps »

Best of luck in your recovery, Jim. This one really hit home for me. I took a similar headfirst drop onto hard bottom last fall, but my shoulder took all the impact. I've been whining about it as I rehabbed all winter, but your accident led me to realize how lucky I was. Here's hoping that you have a full recovery and are back in the fun zone soon.
Doug
"All I want in this life of mine is some good clean fun
All I want in this life and time is some hit and run"
Lowell George
jim richardson

Post by jim richardson »

Hey Guys and Gals,
I have been bombed with info and well wishes and its awesome. On the other hand my story has been slightly tweeked through the grapevine and I have heard a few doozies about what has happened to me. So I thought I had better clear up a few details.

On the day I first was injured Tuesday 3-11 I went to the ER at Newport Hoag Memorial where I was place in a cervical collar and strapped to a back board for about four and a half hours and they gave me a shot of morphine for the pain. They did a CT scan of my head, neck C-Spine and T-spine. The radiologist and attending ER Doctor told me that I had compressed my 5 vertebra in my spine but that there were no broken bones and everything was still in alignment. I was sent home and back to work with a diagnosis of a sprained neck, a script for vicadone, advil and told that the numbness and weakness in my left arm and hand should heal in a week or two, and oh yeah and not to drive while taking vicadone.

Still in some considerable pain, on the next Monday 3-16 I went to my own GP Doctor who after a physical exam and some strength testing, gave me a simular diagnosis but did not have the CT scans or X-Rays to review. He ordered X-rays and an MRI which through my HMO, I have to schedule myself. There for they could not get me in until 3-21 Friday night at 7:30p.m. and my Doctor was pretty certain that this was nothing but a stinger and that the new views of it were just precautionary.

On 3-22 Saturday morning at 8:30a.m. my Doctor called me after he had received an emergent phone call from the radiologist that did the MRI and X-rays Friday night to inform me that I had broken two bones in my neck and that I should get to the hospital in his words PRONTO!! :shock:
Admitted to the Hospital 11 days after I had broken my neck. I was imediatly put in a cervical collar and put on strict bed rest. I was seen then by a neural surgeon my GP and several radiologist who shot lots more X-Rays and CT scans to make sure they had it right this time. (To answer the question !!NO!! I did not go back to Newport Hoag.) I was also given a dose of (synthetic heroin) Dylotted every 2 hours for pain. Good stuff.

I had surgery, a posterior cervical fusion that repaired and fused C-5,6 and C-7. A part of C-6 and C-7 bones (the pedical) had broken off splintered and was spearing the nerve root that passes between the bones there (below the lamina and through facet) leading to my left hand and arm. After removing the little spears of bone from the nerve bed and doing a repair to it. He then using titanium cable and paste that he made from the broken bones the Neural Surgeon fused the bones together.
:shock: :D

Where am I now? Home for a while on pain meds and muscle relaxers. I have to wear a collar 24 hours a day for another month and then we will see if the fusion is holding. I got the staples out yesterday and now Im allowed to ride in the car for important trips. I have about 80% of the strength back in my arm and shoulder but it is very sore and my index finger and thumb still feel like pins and needles like they are asleep but have also improved some. They move just fine its just sensation thats messed up. I'm doing PT for my arm everyday and I hope to have it back to full strength soon but my Dr. says it could take up to a year or longer to get it all back if it does come back. Hey he also said that if I wasn't built the way I'am (big neck and broad shoulders) that I probably would have ended up like superman or worse. :? :shock: I cant think of it being much worse than Christopher Reeves had it in the end.

I think that about tells it all. Thanks again for the well wishes, suggestions and prayers. I will be back in the line up so hold my spot.

If you want more info check out this link... Theres nice pictures and a short explanation of this type of surgery.

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=htt ... image&cd=2
jim richardson

Post by jim richardson »

Oh Yeah The doctor and Radiologist at hoag miss diagnosed the CT and it seems that my Doctor when he saw the original scan had no trouble seeing that I had a broken neck on day one and should have been hospitalized right then. :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :twisted: :roll: :roll: :?: :?: :?: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Freddie

Neck

Post by Freddie »

Hey Jim my prayers are with you Brother! I hope you have a speedy recovery, I've got your spot saved.
toofast3

Post by toofast3 »

Jim... Question for you... Did what you did affect your whole body ?? The reason I ask this because a few months I bounced of the bottom my self. I hit the bottom with my head/neck. Right after that, my right side was tinglely. I went to my doctor a couple of days later and she just gave some muscle relaxers. They didn`t help. I still have some pain and my right side always seems tired. Sound familiar ??
jim richardson

Post by jim richardson »

No. It mainly was my head neck and Left arm. When it first happened I was knocked out for a bit and when I came too I was pretty dingy and having a bit of trouble doing anything. The lasting effects are my left hand and arm but everything else seems intact. Less the broken neck, but that will heal. :shock: