My aching Neck!

With the averge age of the kneeboarder these days this area should be used to post issues on health matters (surfer's ear, knee surgery, stretches, etc).

Moderator: Moderator

jim richardson
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

My aching Neck!

Post by jim richardson »

Some of you know I got slammed into the bottom Tuesday afternoon in your typical upsidedown backwards head first Pile driver style. I was wondering if any one else out there had had this experience and came out with simular symptoms and how long they lasted and what you did for relief? I compressed some vertebra and pinched nerves that have effect my left arm and hand. The doctors say that the symptoms should subside and the feeling of my hand being asleep will go away but I was just curious what others have experienced with a simular injury. My neck is killing me as well any suggestions besides steroids, vicadon and advil. I hate haven to take drugs to feel normal. :shock: :oops: :( :cry: 8)
KEL

Post by KEL »

Wow...that sounds kinda serious to me :shock: :shock: . I have back problems(work) and neck problems(poor posture) and when they flare up it is very debilatating(spell check). I also dont like drugs but a good dose of ibuprofin helps sometimes. I also have to use the chiropractor occasionaly as well...only when I cant stand it. I have been to some good ones and some terrible ones :evil: :evil: . This info is a guy that isnt to far from you but is very good, hope you feel better. KEL

Laven Family Chiropractic
601 E. Yorba Linda Blvd., Yorba Linda, CA 92870 (714) 528-7500 DrGreg@LavenChiropractic.com
surfhorn
Legend (Contribution King!)

Post by surfhorn »

Just a general comment, Jim, but I've found the human body takes about 10 -14 days before one can really feel the healing process starting. Follow your Doc's advise/direction. Take care of your general healthy- eat well and take a lot of fluids. Keep your body healthy so it can heal.

But if you have any doubts whatsoever, do not hesitate to go to see your medico ASAP.

Good luck and best wishes for a speedy recovery. But, until then........

more waves for us!
kbing since plywood days
cali_chick
Grom (25 or less posts to site)

Post by cali_chick »

Not fun :shock:

but your doc is right, those symptoms will go away in their own in time, once you don’t agitate the sources.

Your best bets for being more comfortable, if you don’t like taking any sort of narcotics, are;

-a physiotherapist
-a chiropractor
-using hot or cold packs on the site (which depends on you, for pain relief some people respond better to cold than heat)
-keep fiber in your system
- just practise simple relaxation techniques, simple stretching and deep breathing

More day to day advice is to not strain to extend the arms more than a comfortable length from your body, don’t stay sitting for too long or even stay on your feet for extended periods of time. Besides seeing your chiro and physio alternatives are acupressure, yoga and aacupuncture.

Having said all that, the most important thing is just giving your body its own time to heal, a natural healing process with no shortcuts is usually always the best and safest bet in these situations.

The aim is to allow the vertebra to return to its normal size by taking the pressure off. Try not to use the arm and hand more than absolutely necessary.

Hope that helps,

Alexis
~a simple girl with simple passions; hand me my board, get out of my way.~
scott hayward
Local (More than 25 post)

Post by scott hayward »

Hey Jim,
Cracked the tail of either #4 or #5 wrestling in the 9th grade. Pinched the nerve to my right arm, nursed it through 10th football and wrestled. Did a bad one as a junior and graduated to 2 large neck rolls taped together for my senior year. The third time was bad. Some !!!!!!!!{^*^*^^^&} Mater Dei guy Hit me about 10 degrees behind my ear hole. I woke up with my nose poking through the ear hole and was a mess. My arm from the deltoid to finger tips burned for 3 or 4 days sat out 4 weeks and made it back to beat F.V. for the Sunset Title (sorry Freddie & to all you Barons).
Basically its like and immaculate invasion to the body that is not supposed to happen, 6 weeks min. before you should expect full movement. I had and still like traction type exercises to relieve pressure. The sensation in the nerve is always there and I just live with it. I just developed a stronger left arm than my rt. You should do fine and be at it all soon.
Scott
frankfqr

ouch

Post by frankfqr »

All good advise---for me, I see it as blood flow brings the bodies goods to the point of concern. I use ice 15mins then heat 15 mins. and repeat till boredom sets in, works like a natural flush, reccomended by numerous medical pros. Good Luck!!!!!
halbs

Post by halbs »

Jim the positive outlook on your current situation is exactly that, current and although you may be in all sorts of discomfort it will fade. Take the time to heal and look after yourself...it will come good...I "broke my neck" in the late eighties in a diving accident and after 3 months of a neck brace and then the consequent follow up exercises I have no problems whatsoever. Chin up!!
getting there is often as good as getting there
hansel

Post by hansel »

i agree.
my father, had a crunched back from falling down a flight of stairs, and he had went to the back doctor (for some sort of pain pills), and than he went to a chiropractor and he worked out his spine to almost normal (over 2 months) and he said to not do anything at all that may compromise the integrity of his back more. i agree with the fiber and stretch when you start feeling better to get it into the swing of things. and make sure your mattress is good. you will be spending alot of time on it
Mason

Post by Mason »

Sorry to hear of your injuries Jim, id do exactly what the doctor tells u to do including medication but only as presribed (I somehow see double when it comes to medication...in more ways than one!). Im a really active person so working out and rehabilitating an injury is not a problem for me, but its the resting part that just KILLS me! And sometimes thats the only thing that will work and will not work in my time (which is yesterday) but on its own time, listen to your body and not your head (there is a difference, and distinguishing between the two can be difficult). But heres the real question, hey cali girl do you really kneeboard? We dont have much kneeboarders here and much less ones that look like you. Wish I was a kneeborder in so. cal dam! Anyways good luck Jim with your injury!
"The only mistake that can keep a good man down is his defense of them"
jim richardson

Post by jim richardson »

Thanks for the advice guys. I know its going to be a little while before I'm past the pain stage. So I'll just take it easy medicate, meditate and stretch. 8)
MWROBERTSON

Jim Richardson & Neck injury

Post by MWROBERTSON »

I just got off the phone with Jim Richardson. 12 days after his neck injury, his numbness in his hand and severe neck pain continued. His doctor wanted him to do an MRI which he did on Friday. The results came back and he has fractures in c5 & c6. I guess that is in the neck area above your shoulders and below your head.

He's in the hospital now and fully imbolized with a neck brace and all. He said the nuero-surgeon will be in to rule on what must/should be done.

Let's wish Jim a speedy recovery. :)

Any advice for him would be great!
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

Geez that sucks! I just met Jim a couple of weeks ago - very cool guy. I don't have any advice or experience here but will certainly remember him in my prayers.
shew

Post by shew »

Mark,
Thanks for the update. I hope all goes well. I have a few friends that came out of something like this with a Halo and some that ended up with just therapy and a neck brace. Jim, keep the faith bro.
DarcyM

Post by DarcyM »

Get well soon, Jim!
dm

"Push the button, Max!"
WayneK

Post by WayneK »

Ah that SUCKS! It's good you know have a specific diagnosis. Now you can have some direction in treatment. Wishing you a speedy recovery. Wayne