Shark Attack in Solana Beach

With the averge age of the kneeboarder these days this area should be used to post issues on health matters (surfer's ear, knee surgery, stretches, etc).

Moderator: Moderator

Mike Fernandez
Legend (Contribution King!)

Post by Mike Fernandez »

KenM wrote:Saw a program on Discovery channel a while back about these guys in Indo that go out in their canoes and try to attract sharks. They use bundles of coconut halves that they rattle on the surface of the water. Next time I paddled out I couldn't help but notice the similarity of the sound of my flips as I kicked along. So, Quadfin, which fins did you think seemed more prone to attract sharks?
gulp :shock: I was told by the boat captain there were no sharks in Indo (Mentawaii). I was surfing even while bleeding from scrapes. :x
I am a traveller of both time and space, a weaver in and out of dreams, I see worlds seldom seen.

www.michaelfernandezphoto.com
Rocky Point/Black Rock
http://www.youtube.com/user/kneelocoveproduction
KenM

Post by KenM »

No sharks in Indo, Mike that's hilarious. The web site "Stop Shark Finning" says "Indonesia catches more sharks than any other country in the world." www.stopsharkfinning.net
KenM

Post by KenM »

Have to correct myself on the location of the "shark callers". They are in Papua New Guinea and are called the Tembin tribe.
quadfin

Post by quadfin »

KenM wrote:Saw a program on Discovery channel a while back about these guys in Indo that go out in their canoes and try to attract sharks. They use bundles of coconut halves that they rattle on the surface of the water. Next time I paddled out I couldn't help but notice the similarity of the sound of my flips as I kicked along. So, Quadfin, which fins did you think seemed more prone to attract sharks?
Most of my close encounters thru the years have been hammerheads. Think that it is more the shark than the fins. Hammers are very curious.

I have always worn Churchills and now wearing Slashers black with red tips.
Surf Hard Live Slow
DarcyM

Post by DarcyM »

There were a few people out in the water this weekend, but the swell was pretty dribbly up and down the coast. Very hot weather even at the coast but the water still cool at the 60 degrees F + or - one degree.

Some WAGS have been stealing the lifeguard signs that were posted warning visitors to the beaches that there has been a shark attack and that if they enter the water they do so at their own risk. They were medium sized signs with a picture of a shark in the middle.

The city spokesman said he expected to see the signs showing up on e-bay ...

:roll:
dm

"Push the button, Max!"
KenM

Post by KenM »

That's good enough for me Quadfin, anybody want to buy some used Churchills? :wink: On a serious note, when bodyboarder Mike Casey was attacked by a Great White up here in Sonoma County a few years back he was wearing two differant brands of fins. Some shark researchers felt this may have been a factor in why he was chosen as a target.
quadfin

Post by quadfin »

KenM wrote:That's good enough for me Quadfin, anybody want to buy some used Churchills? :wink: On a serious note, when bodyboarder Mike Casey was attacked by a Great White up here in Sonoma County a few years back he was wearing two differant brands of fins. Some shark researchers felt this may have been a factor in why he was chosen as a target.
A few years back a distance swimmer was making the crossing between St. Martin and St. Barths in the West Indies. The swimmer and chase boat neared a fishing boat that was playing a marlin and a huge hammerhead came out from under the fishing boat and started harrassing the swimmer's fins. The swimmer took off a fin and threw at the shark which gobbled the fin and went on it's way. I am sure they were not Churchills.
Surf Hard Live Slow
Mike Fernandez

Post by Mike Fernandez »

KenM wrote:No sharks in Indo, Mike that's hilarious. The web site "Stop Shark Finning" says "Indonesia catches more sharks than any other country in the world." www.stopsharkfinning.net
Ken, I'm feeling a little queesy :x Maybe the captain knew about the reduction because of finning. Pretty cruel. Anyway, I was bleeding, and I didn't see any sharks. I think I was lucky. :wink:
I am a traveller of both time and space, a weaver in and out of dreams, I see worlds seldom seen.

www.michaelfernandezphoto.com
Rocky Point/Black Rock
http://www.youtube.com/user/kneelocoveproduction
KenM

Post by KenM »

Mike, there are probably sharks in any part of the ocean that we might be inclined to go surfing, there have even been confirmed Great White attacks in the Mediteranian. Some areas, like the Red Triangle or South Africa may be more dangerous than others but this tragedy in Solana Beach and the one a few years back at Avila beach show that it can happen where we don't expect it and that we should always be cautious when we enter the water.
I think it was John McCosker of the Steinhart Aquarium in San Francisco that said "when you enter the water, you enter the food chain."
jim richardson
Ripper (more than 100 posts)
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

Post by jim richardson »

Wasn't that Captain Quinn from Jaws who said that?
KenM

Post by KenM »

:lol: I'm sure McCosker is a big fan of the cap'n.
quadfin

Post by quadfin »

Another fatal surfer shark attack at Troncones. Adrian Ruiz. 24, of San Francisco.

http://www.el-suracapulco.com.mx/nota1. ... nota=37405
Surf Hard Live Slow