Food for maximum surfing

With the averge age of the kneeboarder these days this area should be used to post issues on health matters (surfer's ear, knee surgery, stretches, etc).

Moderator: Moderator

alfredo zavala
Legend (Contribution King!)

Food for maximum surfing

Post by alfredo zavala »

I have put on a little weight over the winter(as usual).
So, Ive been on the South beach diet for about two weeks. Seeing some results alraedy.
I have a question i want to pose to our fascinating world out there being you kneeboarders, or as i like to call it, the brotherhood of kneelo

This diet is high on protein and veggies. The first two weeks have no carbs at all.

Last week when i went for a surf i felt like i didn't have the same energy level while surfing which is kinda what i expected.

Q:1) What is the best way to fuel ones self for a good session?

2)Is it better to load up the night before or before go out?

3)Can one sustain good energy levels for sporting activity on a very low carb diet?

4) Anything else I should know?

Thanks for the replies in advance.

Speaking of food, remember when we go out WE become part of the food chain!!
Scary reminder of that today!!

Be safe and be ready for anything.

Fredo
Mike Fernandez

Post by Mike Fernandez »

Hi Fredo. I'm not sure about diets and such, but if you want to be like the bike racers, you could have spagetti for dinner, or breakfast before you surf. Shouldn't interfere with your diet as long as you only do it before you surf. You burn carbs first. When I raced bikes, I read in a cycling magazine drinking coffee helped burn fat quicker. Have fun dude! :wink:
I am a traveller of both time and space, a weaver in and out of dreams, I see worlds seldom seen.

www.michaelfernandezphoto.com
Rocky Point/Black Rock
http://www.youtube.com/user/kneelocoveproduction
KED
Local (More than 25 post)

Energy

Post by KED »

Do not know about carb loading the night before a session, but I definitely like to feel "light" in the morning and not heavy from a heavy breakfast or whatever I ate the night before. Anyway... what I have found to be a 100% reliable way of sustaining energy and keeping cramps at bay is to eat a banana and drink a sports drink (I like Gatorade Rain... it's lighter than the regular stuff) just before going out. Works every time. Caffeine is never a good idea before a session... it has a dehydrating effect. Hope this helps.
Be who you are and say what you feel.
The people who mind don't matter, and the people who matter don't mind.
SFKneelo

Post by SFKneelo »

Ola Fredo!

I recently received a pre-diabetic diagnosis after a couple of high readings. That sent me to a class where balance of carbs and exercise was stressed.

Going that route, there's label-reading. 15grams of carbs (Total Carbs on labels) is a serving.

The instructor factored in my weight, activities, readings and so on to give a recommendation.

Roughly, it's 3 servings at Breakfast, 4 for Lunch and Dinner, with snacks of 2 and 1 in between.

One trick is that if the Fiber content is >5 grams, you can subtract that from the Carb total, allowing you to eat more of that food.

In some cases, such as carrots, eat away regardless of how many.

Point being, I guess with many things, is balance.

That, and at least 10,000 steps/day.

While we all don't have to be diabetic, or even pre, it really does help in losing weight, and really isn't very hard to apply.

Have to run!
red

Post by red »

I now eat fruit an raw veggies for breakfast on the way to the beach (chop up a sweet potato and bang it in the micro for min or two if you want easy access starch). Drink a bit of water and you're ready to go. Everything you need in fruit and veggies to fuel a few hours in the water at full throttle.

By the way, coffee and tea with meals interfere with the digestion process, so you don't get the energy because you don't absorb the nutrition properly.

But I don't think stamina comes as much from food as having the body accustomed to sustained effort and burning fuel efficiently.
southpeakbrad

Post by southpeakbrad »

Bob,
Did they tell you that you can substitute 5,000 paddle strokes for 5,000 of those steps? :wink:
surfhorn

Post by surfhorn »

Quit your job and surf a minimum of twice per day. Then you can eat anything you want.

But, seriously, SFKneelo is right on target. I'd also watch the carb-loading the night before. I seem to remember that that used to be the runner's thing but that its not recommended now.
kbing since plywood days
SFKneelo

Post by SFKneelo »

HAPPILY substitute strokes for strides, Brad!
SFKneelo

Post by SFKneelo »

red wrote:I now eat fruit an raw veggies for breakfast on the way to the beach (chop up a sweet potato and bang it in the micro for min or two if you want easy access starch). Drink a bit of water and you're ready to go. Everything you need in fruit and veggies to fuel a few hours in the water at full throttle.

By the way, coffee and tea with meals interfere with the digestion process, so you don't get the energy because you don't absorb the nutrition properly.

But I don't think stamina comes as much from food as having the body accustomed to sustained effort and burning fuel efficiently.
That's spot on! 8)

WRT 2nd paragraph, sucking down massive cups of Joe on chilly mornings would warm it up all right... many times NOT the right way :oops:

Maybe an expensive pour over the noggin is better...

Paragraph 3 is very important. Good inputs + well-tuned engine = best output.

Fredo, the weight loss will come without the complete sacrifice of carbs. I've been going for other forms of exercise until injuries are fully behind me. The best news is being able to order street tacos without regret!

Hope to take it up many notches very soon...

Until then, I'm trying to measure input + exercise.

BTW, bad genes, like Jordache-caliber, on the pre-diabetes thing. Folks, check the basics... you may be surprised!
KED

Post by KED »

Re. cold mornings: Instead of coffee try a cup of hot or warm ginger tea. Ginger, the herb, warms the body from within and keeps on working to keep you feeling warm at the core.
Be who you are and say what you feel.
The people who mind don't matter, and the people who matter don't mind.
RMcKnee

Post by RMcKnee »

surfhorn wrote:Quit your job and surf a minimum of twice per day. Then you can eat anything you want.
Surfhorn, you are now officially my dietician.
8)

This is my favourite advice.

Eat when you're hungry, drink when you're dry. Surf when the tide's low, and surf when it's high.

Seriously, Red's on the money. I do love my cuppa tea in the morning though, or a coffee if I'm out.
skansand

Post by skansand »

stay away from the country breakfast burro at Carls! :roll:
Tide is the master, tide can be a disaster...-Dub side of the Moon
surfhorn

Post by surfhorn »

If nothing else, stay hydrated. Drink a lot of water all day long. The moisture is good but it also helps curb one's appetite.

Check your family's history for diabetes and other conditions. My father was a diabetic who lost his eyesight so I grew up being very aware and have always watched my diet.

A couple good basic rules: 1) stay away from products with a lot of preservatives/chemicals and 2) eat a lot of fruit and veggies- a good mix of colors: yellow; green; red, etc. The color thing is an easy way of knowing you're getting a solid mix of vitamins, minerals and antioxidents.

My basic rule: moderation in everything.
kbing since plywood days
ScottMac

Post by ScottMac »

Last edited by ScottMac on Tue Mar 10, 2009 8:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
ScottMac

Post by ScottMac »

Last edited by ScottMac on Tue Mar 10, 2009 8:14 am, edited 1 time in total.