My baby boy

With the averge age of the kneeboarder these days this area should be used to post issues on health matters (surfer's ear, knee surgery, stretches, etc).

Moderator: Moderator

KEL
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

Post by KEL »

prayers are coming from the kelley family..................
khoningford
Local (More than 25 post)

Post by khoningford »

Tomway,

I just got home and sat down and the first thing I see is your son with that beautiful smile on his face and I realize that all those things that I've been
worried about...the bills, the status of my job, the feeling of being overwhelmed by the daily challenges we all face, they all pale in comparison.
I am the father of a thirteen year old girl and I can't even imagine...

My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.
spidah da kneeridah
Eric Carson
Legend (Contribution King!)

Post by Eric Carson »

Tomway,
We have you and your family in our prayers!!
southpeakbrad

Post by southpeakbrad »

Hey Tomway,

All the best to you, your wife, and you son. Praying for you and the docs in Singapore that they can nail down the diagnosis and appropriate management.

Brad
tomway

THANKYOU!

Post by tomway »

I'm overwhelmed by the messages and prayers that everyone has sent to us. My wife sat down with me and read what you've all said and we agree that there's an awesome community here.

We're in singapore now. Just out of the pediatric neurologist's in the university hospital. She was really great, positive, and gave us lots of information very succinctly. Pat will go in for an MRI (MRA?) on monday followed by an ECG to monitor brain activity. She thinks that his paralysis might not have been triggered by a new stroke, but a long seizure that was triggered by an earlier unnoticed stroke (apparently not uncommon in babies)

Don't know whether this is a good (better) thing or not, but she also talked about seizure prevention for the future and physio to get his limbs in shape again.

Anyway, we'll know more next week.

Once again, thanks a lot to everyone. I feel in a way I should have posted this in the 'where's the best place to be a kneelo' thread as it really drives home the importance of health care in where you plan to live. I've felt very lonely the last few days away from my family in the uk and your messages have helped more than you'd know.

Tom
Dunc

Post by Dunc »

Thinking of you guys here in Cornwall we hope all goes well on Monday.
Fingers crossed for you and best wishes.
Duncan and Hannah
KAVA

Post by KAVA »

my thoughts and prayers are with you and your family that your son recovers 100% and quickly
"Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air… "
-Ralph Waldo Emerson
6'1", dean cleary tri, 6'0 Flashpoint tri, 5'9 chuck dent (epoxy quad), 9' velzy (single fin triple stringer)
Mark Ramirez

Post by Mark Ramirez »

tomway, My prayers are with your son and family. The young one looks like a fighter, he'll get better!
kage

Post by kage »

good thoughts
we are the knights that say knee
stevea

my baby boy

Post by stevea »

Tom Lene and Patrick ,
My heart goes out the 3 of you ,if prayers work and for you i hope they do ,the support from the kneeboarding community have obviously brought some comfort
Believe me i know the devastation you must be feeling i almost lost my wife to a ruptured aneurism after 18 months of marriage i looked after her for the next 25 years before she had recovered enough to go her own way .
I really hope that Patrick can make a full recovery the whole kneeboard brotherhood is with all the Ways
joe

Post by joe »

Tomway,

You have a beautiful son. Stay strong and keep positive. Our good thoughts and prayers are with with you and your family.

Joe
Casey Patelski

Post by Casey Patelski »

Praying for your son and family too. Prayer works bro!

Casey
COVE PADS,KneeloLab 6-0PoisonDart DeanCleary 3x Cncav Roundtail 5Fin, 6-0 PoisonDart Infinity 3x Cncav Pintail 3 Fin, Blast 5-9StubVector Swallow Quad, 5-9Vartanian Poison Dart 3x Cncav PinTail 3fin, 6-0Flashpoint DoubleBump Swallow & 5-10 WingPin 3fins.
Jack Beresford

son

Post by Jack Beresford »

Tomaway,

The Beresford Family will keep your family in our prayers tonight.

Jack
Richard Hewitt

Post by Richard Hewitt »

Tom & Lene, my thoughts go out to you.
When your kids are healthy you take it for granted and then something like this can happen and knock you sideways. I really hope he makes a full recovery, he looks like he's got plenty of energy & spirit!

If I can be of any help to you in the UK, don't hesitate to ask.

All the best, Huey.
tomway

Post by tomway »

Wow, thanks again everyone for your continuing messages, emails and PM's offering help and support.

After 4 days in Singapore both Lene and I are feeling pretty good about the future. Here's an update:

Pat had MRI scans and EEG scans yesterday at the University hospital. Great news that he has NOT had another stroke beyond the initial one seen on the CT scan from Surabaya.

The doctor's diagnosis is that he has a very rare form of epilepsy (she cited 2 cases in the UK) where a baby suffers paralysis on one side of his body after repetitive small left-brain seizures. She doesn't know what is causing the seizures, whether they are being caused by the initial stroke or whether this is just an unlucky coincidence... but she is confident that Pat can be sorted out. She has prescribed an anti-seizure medicine which he will have to take for a minimum of 2 years. If his arm and leg strength returns, and he doesn't have an more seizures then after that time we will be able to reduce the dosage. Ideally as he gets older he won't need the medicine any more although there is not way of predicting this at the moment. In the 2 cases in the UK both the children got rid of the hemi-paralysis completely with treatment which is great news.

We've got to stay in Singapore for another 5 days to sort out dosage of his medication but after that we should be able to go home. This has nearly bankrupted us, but worth every penny, Singapore is the dogs-danglies in terms of health care, just incredible how well we have ALL been looked after (they give Lene and I free 'councilling' before every procedure!)

So, we've been blessed, and I'm once again dreaming of surfing with my lad (of course I don't mind if he doesn't want to go surfing, but he's seen 'inside and out' so many times now it must be etched on his subconscious!)

Tom

p.s. Stevea, please don't use capital letters in your posts, it really freaks me out! :;): :lol: Looking forward to a surf sometime soon.