Subacromial smoothing surgery?

With the averge age of the kneeboarder these days this area should be used to post issues on health matters (surfer's ear, knee surgery, stretches, etc).

Moderator: Moderator

alfredo zavala
Legend (Contribution King!)

Subacromial smoothing surgery?

Post by alfredo zavala »

Well after 3 months of shoulder pain etc. . .
I finally got an MRI and saw an Orthopedic surgeon and it looks like I need some surgery.
According to Doc, "Your AC joint is shot" "Something you see in alot of surfers"
Has anyone out there had this procedure done? Sub-acromial smoothing?
How long realistically to be out then back into the water?
Doc says I could be out in the water fairly quickly depending on how well my pain tolerance is.True or False?
Arthroscopic surgery scheduled for Dec !5th.
Thanks for any advice.
jim richardson
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

Post by jim richardson »

True.
SURFSURFSURF
NCountyKneelo
Local (More than 25 post)
Local (More than 25 post)

Post by NCountyKneelo »

Fredo, thanks so much for the intel on your area. I am going to look in the areas you suggested this coming Friday. I will let you know.

I have had the procedure to which you are asking. About 10 years ago I had a torn rotator cuff repair on my left should and in 2006 and 07 my right shoulder was really bothering me when I would surf 3-4 days in a row in addition to the 2-3 days a week of Racquetball. So last summer, thinking is was probably a bit more major than it was, I got the right shoulder Diagnosed. The suggestion was "smoothing out" of the joint. In essense the cleanout procedure you are talking about. Well, I had just had my knee cleaned out 4 weeks earlier so I decided to give it a try. I was a bit leary on recovery because of the experience with the Rotator cuff (I slept in a chair for 6 weeks), but I went for it. Best decision ever! The shoulder is very sound now. I can paddle for days at a time and the Racquetball game has never been better. Recovery from really using it was about two weeks for me. It was in the summer, so nothing really crazy for the first few sessions. Started swinging the Racquet at 4 weeks and lifting again at 6 wks. Good Luck
Bumps

Post by Bumps »

G'day Mate,

I had open shoulder reconstruction, 2 tendon re-attachments, rotator cuff repair, acromioplasty and Supraspinatus repair, about five months ago.

The acromioplasty/supraspinatus portion of my op was initially the most painful The following site gives bit of information on what your looking for.
http://injuryupdate.com.au/forum/showth ... omioplasty

Good luck with your op. Something I'll need on my right shoulder soon, but I need to have a few surfs before I get it done. Should be back in the water June of next year...can't wait!

Bumps :D :D :D :D
'Your site has been suspended for suspicious activity or complaints'.
alfredo zavala

Post by alfredo zavala »

Well, looks like I had my last surf for awhile.
Under the knife Dec 15th. Next weekend is a no go.
Its good too because it really is a cramp on my style to surf with it the way it is. Still paying the price today! My dad called and found out I was surfing and told my wife, "he is addicted!"
My prayer is to be completely back to a normal functioning painless shoulder.It is just the AC joint, no rotator cuff or tendon damage (or so they think :shock: )
I'd like to hope I can surf with some of you guys by the contest in Jan.
We'll see.
Thanks for all the encouraging words.
Cheers
Fredo