Achilles Tendon Surgery

With the averge age of the kneeboarder these days this area should be used to post issues on health matters (surfer's ear, knee surgery, stretches, etc).

Moderator: Moderator

bigtony
Local (More than 25 post)
Local (More than 25 post)

Post by bigtony »

Yea, doctor told me it was like sewing wet toilet paper back together!
The atrophy sets in pretty quick and we end up loosing about 1% of muscle every 24hrs it is not being use. The worse part about that as it takes twice as long to get it back.

Anyway, movement is a good thing without weight on it and don't be suprised if they want the scar tissue left there to build up in order to protect it.

Aloha
BIG TONY
quadfin
Legend (Contribution King!)

Post by quadfin »

Thanks Big Tony and others. Only 3 weeks after my surgery and I am already landsick. Blood is now thinned out and looking forward to rehab, preferably hydrotherapy if I can talk the Ortho into that program.
Surf Hard Live Slow
quadfin

Post by quadfin »

Update - 3 months from the surgery, I am now walking unassisted. Taking daily walks in the surf zone and against a pretty stiff cross current. Has helped tremendously.

Most importantly, A sonogram yesterday showed no blood clots in my leg. Off the blood thinners and onward into more aggresive therapy.
Surf Hard Live Slow
RMcKnee

Post by RMcKnee »

Last edited by RMcKnee on Thu May 28, 2009 2:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
quadfin

Post by quadfin »

RMcKnee wrote:Way to go quadfin, keep up the good walk ... er, I mean work. Are you also swimming, and have you had more of that reiki from the beautiful ladies?
GF put a stop to the reiki.... Just started swimming in the surf and got sucked out in the rip today and had to bodysurf in. Tendon tweaked a little when I kicked in but seems OK.
Surf Hard Live Slow
RMcKnee

Post by RMcKnee »

Last edited by RMcKnee on Thu May 28, 2009 2:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
quadfin

Post by quadfin »

bigtony wrote:Mr. Fin,

I’m not sure exactly where your tear was, but I tore my Achilles 3yrs ago and have recovered pretty much 100%!
I tore mine at the insertion where the tendon attaches just under the heel. I was told that it’s the second worse tear that you can have and the only thing worse was the same tear, but with the bone coming off with it!

Anyway, I had a great surgeon who did excellent! He stressed the importance of starting slight movement ASAP which meant moving the toes and foot back and forth as well as side to side without too much effort. This was huge as I was in a cast for 10 mos. And was instrumental in gaining full range of motion before I was out of the soft cast completely.

The other things that will help you regain your range of motion and strength as well as keep you from turning into a weak POS from not surfing is swimming your butt off!
Start with using your legs lightly and gradually build yourself up to wearing your fins and kicking hard across the pool when ready. Of course all of this is after your incision has closed on the outside. You can purchase fin strap pads from Custom X that will keep the strap of the fin from digging into your heel until it is pain free.

I have been an athlete all of my life and a kneeboarder since I was 12yrs old! I was told that I would never walk correctly and shouldn’t kneeboard anymore or participate in strenuous activities that could pose stress on the tendon. Needless to say, I sought a second opinion with Dr. Kramer who did the work on Kelly Slater’s knee and a host of other pro athletes and it was the best thing I ever did. Life is good and surfing every day there is waves and with my fins on like normal. Also, I do all of the other things that I did before and in some cases even better! Now if I can only keep everything else from breaking on me I will be stoked (blown knee and surgery in July 08)!

Good luck in your recovery and don’t listen to those that might tell you, you can’t do what you love to do! Rehab, training and motivation are key to staying in the water well into our senior years.

Aloha
Bigtony et al

Had my first surf today exactly 102 days from surgery. Tendon feels good. Was nervous about quick digs to catch waves but no pain or stretch. My endurance is down but better than I expected. Going to do it again manana. Thanks for the support and encourgement KSUSA.

And the Doctor was so amazed at my recovery that he wanted to know my rehab program. He then wrote me a prescription for "surf therapy". I intend to frame that prescription.
Surf Hard Live Slow
RMcKnee

Post by RMcKnee »

Last edited by RMcKnee on Thu May 28, 2009 3:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
quadfin

Re: quickie

Post by quadfin »

RMcKnee wrote:
quadfin wrote:Thinking about going swim finless after this event to get me back in the water sooner.
So ... fins or finless?

As for that prescription ... could I have the name of your doctor please?
With fins.

My Doctor is from Nicaruaga orginally and is a pretty interesting guy. Fled the country for cause at one time and then went back as a missionary. Not your average by-the-book Doctor. I must have the prescription as I am on part time medical leave from my job.
Surf Hard Live Slow
KneeBumps

Post by KneeBumps »

quadfin wrote: Had my first surf today exactly 102 days from surgery. Tendon feels good. Was nervous about quick digs to catch waves but no pain or stretch. My endurance is down but better than I expected. Going to do it again manana. Thanks for the support and encourgement KSUSA.

And the Doctor was so amazed at my recovery that he wanted to know my rehab program. He then wrote me a prescription for "surf therapy". I intend to frame that prescription.
Quad fin- GREAT to hear you're back in the water- take it easy and enjoy the returning warmth!
"All I want in this life of mine is some good clean fun
All I want in this life and time is some hit and run"
Lowell George
sf_firestarter
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

a positive outlook

Post by sf_firestarter »

I ruptured my achilles in early June, it's been six weeks since surgery. It's helpfull to see others have recovered well from this and are back in the water as new.
quadfin

Re: a positive outlook

Post by quadfin »

sf_firestarter wrote:I ruptured my achilles in early June, it's been six weeks since surgery. It's helpfull to see others have recovered well from this and are back in the water as new.
The info and support on here really helped me firestarter. Hard to see the light at the end of the tunnel when you are 6 weeks out.

Currently at 8 months from surgery. Still some tenderness and not 100% in the water but healing well. Living at the beach and having warm water was a Godsend for me. Still walking daily against a sideshore current in waist deep water and then swimming back with the current. If I don't have much time I just swim against the current while doing an aggressive leg kick. Has worked well for me. Also, using an exercise ball and doing rolling wall squats and presses. All this was done with the consult and permission of the Ortho and Physical Therapist.

Downside for me has been a 20# weight gain from lack of aerobic excercise. Working on that now.
Surf Hard Live Slow
quadfin

Re: quickie

Post by quadfin »

quadfin wrote:
RMcKnee wrote:
quadfin wrote:Thinking about going swim finless after this event to get me back in the water sooner.
So ... fins or finless?

As for that prescription ... could I have the name of your doctor please?
With fins.

My Doctor is from Nicaruaga orginally and is a pretty interesting guy. Fled the country for cause at one time and then went back as a missionary. Not your average by-the-book Doctor. I must have the prescription as I am on part time medical leave from my job.
Having some circulation/pain problems with my Slasher fins on my injured ankle. My tendon was braided and will always be bigger than my right ankle now. The fin strap comes right across my tendon and have been going numb on extended sessions. Anyone have suggestions on a more flexible/comfortable fin that still has good thrust?
Surf Hard Live Slow
sf_firestarter

Post by sf_firestarter »

if you can find a pair of Redleys give them a try. they make a soft and hard blade. the most comfortable fins i've ever worn but you must have narrow feet.

you also might have to go to a slighly larger fin and then add a neoprene wrap around the rear strap for comfort. I think viper makes pre made strap covers with velcro closure for ease of use.

narrow feet?
shoe size?
which foot?

I've got some lone fins and maybe one would work for you...free
quadfin

Post by quadfin »

sf_firestarter wrote:if you can find a pair of Redleys give them a try. they make a soft and hard blade. the most comfortable fins i've ever worn but you must have narrow feet.

you also might have to go to a slighly larger fin and then add a neoprene wrap around the rear strap for comfort. I think viper makes pre made strap covers with velcro closure for ease of use.

narrow feet?
shoe size?
which foot?

I've got some lone fins and maybe one would work for you...free
Thanks Firestarter. Saw where Redleys were only available in Brasil now. After 4 days of surf it seems my ankle may be conforming to my Slashers. Will see how that goes.
Surf Hard Live Slow