Hangover vs body fat

With the averge age of the kneeboarder these days this area should be used to post issues on health matters (surfer's ear, knee surgery, stretches, etc).

Moderator: Moderator

red
Legend (Contribution King!)

Hangover vs body fat

Post by red »

Hangovers were a subject close to my heart at the start of a contest last Sat.
I drank a few beers the night before and woke up (not really - more like shuddered back to some lower form of life) somewhat hungover.

Later, when I was more amenable to the sight of a beer bottle, I got to thinking about the relationship between body fat and hangovers. I've got no fat to speak of (all right then, I'm a skinny geek). Is it possible that I suffer alcohol poisoning easier because of that, while better endowed fellows store the toxins in body fat for slow release later on?

I'm well aware that the best preventative is to drink less, rather than put on pondage, and that vitamin B supports liver action (detoxing), but do any of the knowledgable know of a relationship between fat and hangovers?
DarcyM

hungover

Post by DarcyM »

Red -

I've never been hungover. I'm fat. But then, I usually don't drink that much, and I usually get to the point (tonight, fer instance) after a drink or two where I'm just ready to go to sleep rather than continue drinking. So I may not be the right person to ask ...

Ler, on the other hand, can be hungover and STILL RIPS in the surf on Saturday morning. Ok, so maybe he doesn't do so well in his heats, but he still charges (he should get better than a fifth in his heat and I believe he probably will, but then we really don't want to see the sh**ing bricks part). Probably the only reason he hasn't done better in contests lately isn't his ability or his sobriety, more an off-the-wall strategy (it could work one day) and bad luck with wave selection. Contests are weird though, not necessarily real world surfing. Certainly there is the mental aspect of contest surfing, and being fuzzy can't help that, but it doesn't mean that one's abilities are diminished. There could be advantages too, of having no fear or no thought for the consequences. I wouldn't recommend it, though.

Probably the best advice is Don't Party the night before a contest.

I do believe, however, that greater body mass means greater alcohol tolerance. So the rest of us work on the skinny geeks to get them wasted and thereby have an advantage the next morning. Except for Jack, who I think has hollow bones allowing him to fly on the flimsiest of waves.

:evil:
dm

"Push the button, Max!"
Beeline2.0

Re: Hangover vs body fat

Post by Beeline2.0 »

Last edited by Beeline2.0 on Wed Feb 27, 2008 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
red

Post by red »

Thanks Bee

But what about a fat 150lb guy and a skinny 150lb guy? (same favoured tipple, fitness levels, etc.)

When we were broke kids we used to do rounds - 1 beer, 1 wine, 1 rum/brandy/coke (in equal measures - coke was expensive!)
Couldn't seem to get past round 3 for some reason. The young don't suffer from hangovers, so we'd be surfing at the crack of dawn.

Now we're just broke adults, but too scared of hangovers to tackle the "triple bypass moneysaver" route.
Beeline2.0

Post by Beeline2.0 »

Smokin Rock

Post by Smokin Rock »

Last edited by Smokin Rock on Sat Mar 19, 2005 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DrStrange

Post by DrStrange »

A lot of alcohol tolerence also has to do with liver function--where you break it down into non-toxic stuff. It is, after all, a neurotoxin. We all gotta have fun, but one of the reason 50+ year olds often have less tolerence is because they've trashed their livers with a "misspent youth."
DarcyM

alcohol

Post by DarcyM »

if you tried to get the alcohol we drink passed through EPA (Environmental Protection Agency) as a pesticide, they'd never let it be used ... it's too damn toxic.

But you can drink it till your liver turns to pudding.

:?
go figger
dm

"Push the button, Max!"
Beeline2.0

Post by Beeline2.0 »

DrStrange

Post by DrStrange »

Stick with Everclear!!! :twisted: