Water on the knee?

With the averge age of the kneeboarder these days this area should be used to post issues on health matters (surfer's ear, knee surgery, stretches, etc).

Moderator: Moderator

MWROBERTSON
Legend (Contribution King!)
Legend (Contribution King!)

Water on the knee?

Post by MWROBERTSON »

Can someone give me some insight as to a condition I have seemed to developed over the last few months?

I've noticed my left knee has a slightly swollen apperance with a gel/water like feel around the knee-cap area. It feels really weird when I surf. It almost feels like my wetsuit is bunched up under my knee. It is of course the fluid inside my knee cap. There is little to no pain. Just a bit numb and irratating.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Will it get worse?

Causes?

remedies etc. etc.

Thanks for you insight.

MR-
Basswombat
Grom (25 or less posts to site)
Grom (25 or less posts to site)

Post by Basswombat »

Obvious stuff but swelling/fluid is a reaction to some kind if trauma and the two standard knee ones are cartlidge or ligament damage. Ice and elevation is the first thing to do to reduce the swelling but it does sound like a trip to the doc is in order. As someone whose knees have gone under the knife 4 times I'd suggest getting it seen to asap would be a good idea. You don't mention a specific incident that happened so my amateur guess is some cartlidge from an old injury is floating around in there. At least arthriscopies are pretty straightforward these days (especially grease and oil change style cleanups) and recovery is a matter of weeks not months. Hope it works out ok.
floyd699
Local (More than 25 post)
Local (More than 25 post)

Post by floyd699 »

had a similar thing years ago - saw doc who said it was swollen bursa. He drained it twice - both times the clear fluid was slightly red which meant some bleeding into it. He said it may either go do0wn by itself or may need surg to remove bursa sack. So - went out for a jog one day, swellingb went down and hasn't come back since - go figure.

http://orthopedics.about.com/cs/patella ... rsitis.htm
Craig
Ripper (more than 100 posts)
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

Post by Craig »

Just had arthroscopic surgery for a torn miniscus two and half weeks ago I was back in the water today, it's so nice not to be in pain.

Mark go see a GOOD Orthopedic Doc, they do amazing things these days.