Boating Safety -- Feral Boating

With the averge age of the kneeboarder these days this area should be used to post issues on health matters (surfer's ear, knee surgery, stretches, etc).

Moderator: Moderator

Doc Turbo
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

Boating Safety -- Feral Boating

Post by Doc Turbo »

On our recent boating trip our rented boat broke down. Thank fully it was a pure mechanical failure (no leaking or fires) and we found another boat nearby that was heading back to harbour, left a message, got another boat to pick us up. Fortunately we were on a surf spot, and reasonable achorage, but it could have gone completely wrong. We are a 4 hour boat ride from anywhere, off the normal shipping lanes, no radios, no cell signal, no villages (ranger camp about 10 km walk).

For discussion, what simple, basics can we prepare for such a trip:

Compass
Flare Gun
Satellite phone
Life preservers (none on boat at all, even though we have boards)
Leaving information with family
Maps
GPS
Water, water, water
Medical kits

I can see how this could have been a big problem had the gear box failed rounding the corner during heavy winds, and huge swell.

Any practical advice ??
Smokin Rock
Legend (Contribution King!)

Post by Smokin Rock »

great question. since you have no idea of the mechanical condition or recent upkeep of a rental boat you should prepare for the worst.
anything that requires batteries or power should not be relied upon. (think that Apollo 13 movie)
the best thing is to give several people a trip plan. especially when you'll be expected home and your route. if mid trip you plan to deviate........let someone know!
i would include a water purifying device that works on salt water.
a hammock to get off the ground and away from bugs.
a signal mirror
you should never leave port without a PFD, i have a whistle and small strobe attached to mine as well as the mirror. put all other survival essentials in a dry bag. you might have literally seconds to grab all you need and abandon ship. i tie several lanyards to both PFD and dry bag so i won't have to hold onto anything. don't stow these items where they can't easilly be reached in seconds.
abandoning ship is a last resort. if at all possible stay with the boat.
hypothermia is a real threat even in the tropics. even if the water is 80F thats still 16 degrees below our normal temp and hours spent in the water will take it's toll.
spend more for a better boat :lol: bargains rarely turn out well 8)
Last edited by Smokin Rock on Mon Apr 13, 2009 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"This sucks more than anything that has ever sucked before." Butt-head
Doc Turbo

PFD

Post by Doc Turbo »

Good information, I am going to look for a couple or three PFD for myself and friends when we go a boating

I had to google that one, PFD

What is a PFD?

PFD STANDS FOR PERSONAL FLOATATION DEVICE.

U.S. Coast Guard Regulations require you to have U.S. Coast Guard approved PFDs on your recreational boat. How many and what kind of PFDs you need depends on the number of people onboard, the size of your boat and the kind of boating you will be doing.
PFD classifications

Personal floatation devices are classified by location of use. Choose the right PFD for the location and type of boating you plan to do.

* Type I is for offshore operations.
* Type II is for boating near shore.
* Type III is a buoyancy aide to be used where rescue situations may be imminent.
* Type IV is to be thrown to an individual needing immediate assistance.
* Type V is a specialty PFD for specific activities or consumers.

It's recommended that children always wear a Type II PFD or higher,
even for onshore activities.
Shelfbreak

Post by Shelfbreak »

Great adventure but my only strong advice would never to take children to sea on a boat like that.

Having the engine conk out is probably not so bad in the tropics but an engine fire or capsize in shitty weather means an abandonment is a life threatening scenario without a life raft or even life jackets. On some boats the helpful crew may have already lashed your boards down at the onset of bad weather to stop them blowing away oops!

If your going to more remote waters check if Indonesia has any capacity to respond to EPIRB distress calls and if so buy one. Waterproof strobe lights are good if you end up in the drink. Buy some life jackets including a few spares for the crew.

Someone who knows more about firefighting might advise if a small fire extinguisher would be worth taking?
Shelfbreak
griz

Post by griz »

If we were ever forced to endure the kind of tub which your pictures depict Doc we brought along our own outboard motor (kero burner)and fuel.The way we figured is it would at least get us to some kind of land or closer to so form of help should all else fail.When and if we reached our destination we had wheels to set out on ourselves.A mission to cart all this shizer around but ended up paying for itself in a ton of lonely surfs.And rule number one should you go down in a ferry full of locals , get as far away from it as fast as you can because each and every one those desperate passengers see you as their very own PFD!
RMcKnee

Post by RMcKnee »

Last edited by RMcKnee on Thu May 28, 2009 1:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
womble

Post by womble »

The open ocean needs to be treated with the utmost respect and any vessel venturing out upon it should be prepared for the worst case scenario.
Safety at sea is predominately about preparation and common sense.
In the aforementioned case boat maintenance seems to be the likely cause of trouble.
Mechanical malfunctions can and do happen even to the better operators …
BUT lack of the appropriate safety gear onboard would indicate that the operators of this company were negligent and lax.
Under no circumstance should a boat proceed offshore without adequate drinking water and type 1 PFD’s for all onboard. In addition safety flares and emergency communications such as an EPIRP and a fully functioning marine radio should be onboard and explained to the occupants.
A high standard first aid kit, charts of the area (sorry Doc T no maps at sea) and compass should also be carried.
A GPS (handheld will do) is a must in my opinion, not just for safety but to mark all those good spots for later reference.
Having spent the majority of my life on and around the water and involved in the marine industry, I can vouch for the fact that a vast majority of people with and on boats are ignorant of the rules (international rules for the prevention of collisions at sea) and their obligation to others in regards to safety and common courtesy.
See what you’ve done now … now I’m all worked up and getting tired and emotional.
Sea-riously though … my advice would be to procure a better quality of operator and vessel when next you venture out into the briny.
Imagination is more important than knowledge.
For knowledge is limited to all we now know and understand.
While imagination embraces the entire world, and all there ever will be to know and understand.

Albert Einstein ... Yeah Bert.
tomway

Post by tomway »

Sea-riously though … my advice would be to procure a better quality of operator and vessel when next you venture out into the briny.
:lol: Operator :?: :!: Vessel :?: :!: :lol:

I think that's your problem Stephen! you need an 'operator' with a 'vessel', not a bunch of half-cut fishos who think it's okay to fill the fuel tank while smoking a cigarette on a raft of lashed together out of planks of termite-riddled softwood.

Failing that, I think it's up to us to provide our own safety as womble and others outline as we do these kind of trips so often. Especially a properly prepared 1st aid kit and the knowledge of how to use it, PFD's, and those radio beacon things. We've got the gps covered.

I've experienced what griz says first hand when a feral boat I was on capsized about 10mins after setting sail and one of the fisho's just jumped straight on me and wrapped his arms round my neck. Thankfully the boat didn't sink and but if I hadn't been hanging on tight I don't know what would've happened.

Thanks for all the info everyone - especially important when you're in a place where it isn't easily available.
Mike Fernandez

Post by Mike Fernandez »

Having the experience of capsizing my own yacht :lol: I think you guys covered everything well. Make sure all the electrical stuff ie...GPS is in a waterproof bag always. :wink:
I am a traveller of both time and space, a weaver in and out of dreams, I see worlds seldom seen.

www.michaelfernandezphoto.com
Rocky Point/Black Rock
http://www.youtube.com/user/kneelocoveproduction
quadfin

Post by quadfin »

I would combine the very good suggestions on this thread with your own personal "ditch bag" and assume the worse as has been mentioned. Tailor your bag to your voyage and keep it light and efficient. Imagine yourself and your ditch bag floating and wet in stormy seas and what you will be able to access. You won't be needing those bandaids out there.

On my first offshore drilling rig, the old crane operator took me to the rail and said "son, you see that liferaft hanging on the rail?". On an affirmative nod he said "well that is my liferaft boy and those paddles are the paddles that will hit your ugly head if you try to get in my liferaft", 'that is all you need to know about this rig".

You really are responsible for your own safety.
Surf Hard Live Slow
Scott

Post by Scott »

And, in that personal ditch bag, evidently don't forget your own paddle to beat some poor sucker's ugly head when he tries to hang on your PFD with you!

Geez.... :(
I'm not influenced by the past; I change it!
surfhorn

Post by surfhorn »

kbing since plywood days
Mike Fernandez

Post by Mike Fernandez »

surfhorn wrote:.45
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Gotta disagree with you S. If your surfing off the coast of Yemen, and your boat breaks down, and starts drifting towards Somalia, a bow mounted minigun would be nice. 8) :lol:
I am a traveller of both time and space, a weaver in and out of dreams, I see worlds seldom seen.

www.michaelfernandezphoto.com
Rocky Point/Black Rock
http://www.youtube.com/user/kneelocoveproduction
halbs

Feral Boating

Post by halbs »

Hi Stephen, your initial post had me agreeing with many of your points, as you know I did the "crossing" with your help last September having previously done it "unferal" aboard a luxury vessel. During that trip we didn't see another soul and at times we questioned the safety of the venture, especially after seeing a complete fishing boat identical to the one we were on high and dry on the rocks in "the pass". We had no safety gear no phone coverage and as we changed our departure time to a night earlier no one outside of the village were aware we were at sea! All in all not a great plan looking back! However it was a fantastic adventure...would I do it again? I definately would but I think I wold lean towards the charter boat option or be better prepared to go feral. My first aid kit has been shaped by many trips to Indo, the North WEst and generally living and surfing in isolated locations so that aspect is covered, as far as a PFD is concerned I had my eye on my boardbag during some rough seas. I had even planned to drop my triple boardbag into my sisters pool on return to see if it floated fully loaded! Or at least I had my camera housing which surprisingly provides reasonable flotation!!
I think a satellite phone could solve many issues providing it stayed dry until land was made, as that was my major concern that no one really knew our movements or would be looking for us until our failure to return on the fourth day by which time you could have been in strife for three days already. The personal EPIRB would be interesting in Indonesia who would react and when would they? I think the Satt phone option is a good one to take up even if you had to do an ET and phone home to get things moving, and I know these are available for hire in Jakarta, the only problem would be whether you had time to use it! but I think it would be a lot better than not having one. As we had an abundance of water of water bottles on hand that was an issue I hadn't considered as I think some would have "popped up" if things went sad, however a sheet of plastic to collect water once on land would be easily stashed in with the boards and a bubble wrap sheet would double as protection.
I am sure this hasn't put you off your next trip but it is interesting to discuss and may provide some ideas to do the feral that little bit safer, mind you the excitement of the next trip may cloud the preparation somewhat!!

Best wishes and I hope the next trip is a safe one, with no Tattoos!! Six months to the day that I depart Padang for the Mentawai Islands!! cheers Halbs
getting there is often as good as getting there
surfhorn

Post by surfhorn »

Mike - I agree; a mini gun and a combat squad to back you up.
kbing since plywood days