torn rib cartilage

With the averge age of the kneeboarder these days this area should be used to post issues on health matters (surfer's ear, knee surgery, stretches, etc).

Moderator: Moderator

halbs
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

Post by halbs »

DYdamo wrote:Very timely post......

I just broke 2 ribs last tuesday........(roof fall).and I would'nt wish it on my worst enemy....Bychrist it hurts
the initial pain has receded now so I can breathe deeply again,but coughing,burping,farting,laughing is still out of the question.GOD FORBID sneezing.
I've had plenty of broken bones over the years but this one takes the cake.I've never expierienced anything like it before.But of course I'm still at work,(roof tiler)barking orders and doing the odd bit of (light)work.I've been told 6 weeks as well(MrMcKnee I'll take your advice)so I'll just have to wait for the out come...........
even though this has nothing to do with cartilidge I just thought the timing(this post) was perfect........get well soon Chris.................Damo

I here you there Damo- I broke three ribs and punctured my lung when I took on a dry reef in the Nor- West a couple of years ago. I haven't experienced such uncomfortable pain ever before or since, which is a good thing!! Time is really the only rememdy as far as recovery goes.

We were travelling at the time and I can still remember the looks on peoples faces in caravan parks when we would roll up to set up the camper and my darling wife would pull out a chair for me and I would proceed to sit and watch while she worked for the next couple of hours setting up camp!! classic...

I hope your recovery goes well and as someone else suggested take your time and don't rush things , cheers Halbs
getting there is often as good as getting there
DYdamo

Post by DYdamo »

halbs wrote:[

I hope your recovery goes well and as someone else suggested take your time and don't rush things , cheers Halbs
Cheers mate
I've actually taken to drinking myself silly to numb the pain

so far I think it's working................. :lol: :lol:
RMcKnee
Legend (Contribution King!)

Doctor, Doctor, gimme the news ...

Post by RMcKnee »

DYdamo wrote:I've actually taken to drinking myself silly to numb the pain
At one stage deep in the distant past, (of course), I used to self-medicate for that sort of pain with an icepack and Iboprufen to reduce any inflammation, a little alcohol (orally administered) as a relaxant and a little THC as a sedative.
These days, as a reformed character, I rely on the doctor. He's got me on painkillers so strong that if I stop taking them I get withdrawal symptoms pronto.
There's a lesson here, but I'm so doped up at the moment I can't quite figure it out ...
jdc

Post by jdc »

Kev wrote:
jdc
" AFL footy... a week max "
:)
AFL or NFL
a week ... ONLY cos they take the needle

CAN I DIRECT YOU TO THE 1989 GRAND FINAL ...geelong v hawthorn....Yates does Dermie...Dermie gets up and kicks 2 five minutes later whilst heavily concussed

Dipper has two geelong players in a head lock (one under each arm :twisted: ) Dipper by the way, has a punctured lung at the time :shock:

In the AFL needles are for northeners like the Brisbane Lions :wink:
i like surfing
RMcKnee

... and with tongue firmly in cheek ...

Post by RMcKnee »

"Ah, Captain, please tell me, why are the wicked so strong?
How do the angels get to sleep when the devil leaves the porch light on?"

You're asking a difficult question there, Kneem. The world just lost Heath Ledger to prescription drugs. Here, the biggest increase in reported addictions over the last few years has been to prescription painkillers. Heavy duty ones, prescriptions for which are handed out willy-nilly by medical professionals. My own feeling is that the legality of any drug is very closely related to the ability of governments to raise revenue from taxing it. Legislation and logic are often mutually exclusive, perhaps because the things that really matter to humans matter because they evoke strong emotional responses, and, well, there you go.

You just know how controversial this is gonna get, dontcha?
PS reformed as in a child of the 60's & 70's who has survived the 80's & 90's. As some old hippy once said to me; "Man, the colours I ain't seen ain't worth seein'!"
(But that was a long time ago, in another country, and besides, the wench is dead ...)
RMcKnee

Post by RMcKnee »

Man, are you waiting for the man?
kidrock

Post by kidrock »

who needs pot, when you can easily get a prescription for Oxycodone and Flexoril? This stuff ROCKS.

It's like comparing BC bud (Canadian basic chronic) to Bavarian Butthairs (Mex bud).
RMcKnee

oxoxox

Post by RMcKnee »

kid, you know your prescriptions. That oxycodone is evil stuff. Rocks indeed. Got bigger hooks than a game boat. I hate that sh!t. And it's way over-prescribed here. There too?
kidrock

Post by kidrock »

OMG, that stuff is killer. At least, you can QUIT pot. Try getting yourself down off of Oxy. I can't believe they even prescribe it. But, Oh What A Feeling.................... :wink:
MALLEE BULL

Post by MALLEE BULL »

FURTHER ON UP THE ROAD 8)
LOVE FIXING UP OLD BOARDS
AND STAINED GLASS WINDOWS
Kev

Post by Kev »

jdc wrote:... THE 1989 GRAND FINAL ...
In the AFL needles are for northeners like the Brisbane Lions :wink:
as a Dons supporter I do have much respect for that 80's Hawks team
they could take it as good as they could give it
a fantastic couple of grand finals played against the Dons earlier that decade

as for the Brissy Lions ... well Lynch did seem to have a bag full of pills that he broke out on the few occasions he came south
the ANGRY pills were the scary ones

Aspirin or Paracetamol is about as adventurous as I get ... even if it is the Neck and Back or Super Strength versions
RMcKnee

prescriptions and pain

Post by RMcKnee »

To bring this thread back on topic a little, there are a couple of things I'd like to say. This is gonna be a bit of a soapbox exercise, so if you're not into that, stop reading now.

We've all heard the stories about "hill-billy heroin" and are all aware of the number of high-profile people in the news lately with addictions to prescription painkillers. For anyone who's been living under a stone, the substance in question is oxycodone, a powerful synthetic opiate that is very effective against pain but is also highly addictive. Why so many doctors seem so willing to prescribe the stuff is a question I can't answer.
I do know that drug companies, when they launch new products onto the market, do so in order to address an identified need. They also do a lot of promotion in order to maximise sales, quickly recoup their investment costs and get as soon as possible into making profit, which they are bound to do as corporations with shareholders. There is also often a small window during which a company will have a monopolistic edge over its competitors, and this creates a sense of urgency that helps to drive product promotion.

Thus we have seen in each decade since the fifties, (at least), the emergence of a general complaint or condition that seems to define something about the times, coupled with the prescription drugs to treat it. In the fifties, the serene pace of life called for acceleration, and we had uppers, amphetamines; in the swinging sixties, the relentless pace of change called for the stupefying effect of barbiturates; in the seventies the outburst of hedonism called for a massage of the collective conscience with diazapenes and other downers, like Valium, Mogadon and Mandrax; the hectic, technology-driven, self-obsessed eighties saw the emergence of ADHD and the raft of medications to treat that, while the angst-ridden 90's will go down in history as the decade that blissed out on anti-depressants; the Prozac generation.
The first decade of the new millenium seems to have been dominated by the arrival of a powerful new generation of painkillers. This makes a statement about our post 911 world that I'm still trying to process. As in each decade that has gone before, along with our zeitgeist drug comes a slew of associated problems, most so closely intertwined with the drug that it becomes imposible to say whether they are cause or effect. In all this, there is nothing new, we just go round and round the same old circuit time and time again; nothing really changes.

So, the drug of the moment is oxycodone. This is not a new drug. It's been around since 1916. If you Google oxycodone, you'll get around 4 million hits, (now that's an unfortunate pun!). Doctors prescribe it for moderate to severe pain; the kind of pain you are likely to get from a bad back or a busted rib. It's something that's much talked about these days, for good reason. Be aware. This stuff is highly addictive. I know personally of half a dozen people who have been prescribed oxycodone to treat pain and have subsequently developed major addictions within a very short span of time. Two of those addictions ended in the death of the person concerned.

As surfers we are more exposed than many people to injuries, and we're thus more likely than most to be prescribed pain medication. These days that's likely to be this pernicious medication called Oxycontin, Percodan, Percocet, Tylox and other names, and that's why we all need to be aware that however it comes, oxycodone needs to be treated with the utmost respect and caution. Surfers, especially kneeboard surfers, tend to be adventurous, individualistic and self-reliant. Oxycodone is an adventure you can do without.

My words of warning are: Don't use the stuff if you can possibly avoid it. If your doctor wants to prescribe it, get another opinion, as is your right, and explore every other alternative first, especially if you're dealing with long-term pain. If you do use oxycodone, be very careful, follow your doctor's advice religiously and do not misuse or abuse the stuff in any way. Be aware that although oxycodone is the current "drug of the moment" it is not something to mess around with. Be very, very careful.

HERE ENDETH MY RANT.
Last edited by RMcKnee on Fri Jun 26, 2009 7:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
KneeBumps

Post by KneeBumps »

Not a rant at all, very well put and words of wisdom. The effect of oxycodone on my rural community has been devastating- we had a rogue MD selling/dispensing it practically wholesale until apprehended. Stay away from this stuff, stick with the OTC drugs if possible.
"All I want in this life of mine is some good clean fun
All I want in this life and time is some hit and run"
Lowell George
kidrock

Post by kidrock »

Good point, McKnee.

Instead of looking for relief, people should concentrate on a cure. Since many contributors to this site tend to be more "mature" (polite term for middle-aged), it may be worthwhile to take a look at the benefits of Hormone Replacement Therapy. It's gotta be better than the alternative, as McKnee has pointed out so eloquently.
rooster

Post by rooster »

:lol: :lol: He said " middle aged " :lol: :lol: