torn rib cartilage

With the averge age of the kneeboarder these days this area should be used to post issues on health matters (surfer's ear, knee surgery, stretches, etc).

Moderator: Moderator

kidrock
Legend (Contribution King!)
Legend (Contribution King!)

Post by kidrock »

Settle down, Viejo. :lol: :wink:
kneecaster
Grom (25 or less posts to site)

Post by kneecaster »

I tore my rib in january.I waited 6 weeks before the next go out.but it still was messed up. I tried a couple of more times with more time in between,I was still messed up.I started up again in october,been out 5 times in decent surf and my rib finaly is healed. Be carefull and warm up and stetch well. Good luck.
robb

Post by robb »

I tore my rib cartilege surfing 3 years ago. It took a full 8 weeks to get better. I tried to surf but I couldn't paddle and my physio said I'd just have to rest the entire period because I was just re-aggravating it. It was very frustrating and it didn't feel like it was getting any better after 6 weeks - in desperation I got some taping in the area to restrict general movement and it felt better quickly - I know it sounds dubious - how much can taping help in an area like that? Maybe it was just that I needed 8 weeks or maybe the taping helped? I was 52 at the time so you can probably deduct a couple of weeks if you're younger. No re-occurence which is good news.