torn rib cartilage

With the averge age of the kneeboarder these days this area should be used to post issues on health matters (surfer's ear, knee surgery, stretches, etc).

Moderator: Moderator

malajusted
Local (More than 25 post)

torn rib cartilage

Post by malajusted »

anyone have problems with rib cartilege problems, :( i was dumped really hard 3 weeks ago and the doc thinks it a torn cartiledge or muscles and should give it a rest for a while, i was pain free after 2 weeks convalescing so i went for a surf this morning and lasted about an hour before the pain was back, like someone pushing
a knife into your ribs, i stayed out for about 3 hours and am paying for it now, anyone been here before and how long was it to recover.
thanks chris
RMcKnee
Legend (Contribution King!)

well, well, well ...

Post by RMcKnee »

mala, you poor man. A rib problem is not to be trifled with. As you probably know from reading on this site, I have some long-standing back problems. My strategy used to be chiropractic care to maintain etc. etc. At one stage around 12 years ago, while living in Sydney (northern beaches), I had a visit to a chiro one afternoon for a routine manipulation. The guy was a bit of a wrestler. Some people will know what I mean; the kind of therapist who wraps your left arm behind your right shoulder, picks you up from behind in a bear hug while pushing your head down into your chest, and then says "now just relax ..." before crunching you up like a squeezebox. I felt a little bit of a twinge in my chest when he did one of his "crunching/cracking" moves on me,but I shrugged it off, of course, 'cos I'm a man, and that's what men do, right?

Afterward, I went for a surf just up the road at North Curl Curl. Nice offshore arvo, sweet little 3-4 ft faces, smallish crowd. Paddling into my first wave I noticed my left arm and side felt pretty sore. I thought it was a muscle strain or something and carried on surfing. Twenty minutes later, after an agonising paddle in to the beach without catching another wave, I found I couldn't raise my arm high enough to take off my wetsuit. A visit to the doctor confirmed it was a broken rib courtesy of Stone Cold Chiropractic. Six weeks rest and it should be OK.

Six weeks later I'm feeling fine, sitting on the sand at Whale Beach one Sunday morning, watching a building swell and thinking; Hey, I could probably paddle that bodyboard out and catch a wave ... my rib feels fine. I get out the back no problem, here comes a nice set, I line up and stroke hard into a nice six footer and just as I make that last hard stroke to get down the face, crack, there goes that bloody rib again. Prone straight into the beach cursing all the way and go straight home.

Six weeks later I'm at work, just finished varnishing out on a little yacht moored in the bay off the yard, put my gear into the work boat and putt putt off to the wharf a couple of hundred yards away. When I get there I cut the engine, grab my gear and step up onto the bow, reach up and place my stuff on the wharf, reach down and grab the bow line to tie up, find the boat has drifted back on the wind a little way from the wharf, reach out with my left arm to grab the wharf and pull the boat back in and ... crack. You guessed it.

Six weeks later I was still mainly bodysurfing, only on smaller days and generally being very cautious. Eased back onto the board carefully and took it pretty easy until I felt comfortable.

When your doctor says it will take six weeks, he means six weeks.
Swimming is good for building strength and staying fit, but start the swimming with breaststroke and similar stuff; be very careful about extending your arms to the point at which you can feel any strain on the affected rib. When you finally get back on your board, be a little bit careful or you'll be out of action for another six weeks.The nearer you get to the end of the healing period the greater the temptation to overdo it. You'll feel great; fit, strong, healthy ... but you'll feel like a tool when you realise you're starting that convalescence over again. I was too embarrassed to even bother the doctor the second and third times.

Fortune may favour the brave, but you should always err on the side of caution where ribs are concerned.
analbirth

Post by analbirth »

been there done that 9-12 wks before it was good as nw
once you've had black you'll never go back!!!
Kev

Post by Kev »

yeah
I've been there

it does take time
and very easy to aggravate if you push too soon
DYdamo
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

Post by DYdamo »

Very timely post......

I just broke 2 ribs last tuesday........(roof fall).and I would'nt wish it on my worst enemy....Bychrist it hurts
the initial pain has receded now so I can breathe deeply again,but coughing,burping,farting,laughing is still out of the question.GOD FORBID sneezing.
I've had plenty of broken bones over the years but this one takes the cake.I've never expierienced anything like it before.
But of course I'm still at work,(roof tiler)barking orders and doing the odd bit of (light)work.I've been told 6 weeks as well(MrMcKnee I'll take your advice)so I'll just have to wait for the out come...........
even though this has nothing to do with cartilidge I just thought the timing(this post) was perfect........get well soon Chris.................Damo
TIMO

Post by TIMO »

Damo
We're not spring chickens anymore. Maybe if you landed on your knee's??
take care mate and get well.
Timo
North Curly
cheers Timo
jdc

Post by jdc »

whilst im not sure about you kev, the biggest issue i feel is you guys are from the north, dont surf in cold water and probably never played AFL footy.

Otherwise it would be a week max :twisted:
i like surfing
jdc

Post by jdc »

ps: REST UP LADS....better to be a grey haired surfer than a forced unto grey nomad :idea:
i like surfing
malajusted

torn rib cartilage

Post by malajusted »

thanks for the support guys, six weeks is gunna suck nine to twelve is worst ab :( i dont think ill last i pitty my wife :cry: dydamo mate wish you luck on your recovery, timo your right about not being spring chickens anymore its like once you reach fifty injuries are a regular occurence, maybe its time to just go out there and cruze instead of trying to keep up with all these young whippersnappers,
thanks chris
rooster

Post by rooster »

Mal

I get what my doctor calls a dislocated rib every so often. From what he says the cartilage and muscle get a little tweaked and that is what starts the pain. It starts with a dull ache, and then intensifys to the point where I can't lift my arm above my shoulder. Stretching before paddling out also help keep you loose.
rooster

Post by rooster »

Cappy,

I get the same thing, turning your head and coughing is just a whole different level of pain. :( I once had it on both sides and just laid on the couch for the weekend, couldn't even reach for a beer :shock:

Glad to know I am not alone, and you're right, growin old aint for pussies.
KneeBumps

Post by KneeBumps »

Ribs??? You got Ribs?
:lol:
"All I want in this life of mine is some good clean fun
All I want in this life and time is some hit and run"
Lowell George
Kev

Post by Kev »

DYdano
" ... broke 2 ribs ........(roof fall) "
Nooooooo
silly DYdamo
that sort of thing'll kill'ya
get well soon

jdc
" AFL footy... a week max "
:)
AFL or NFL
a week ... ONLY cos they take the needle

malajusted
" ... maybe its time to just go out there and cruze instead of trying to keep up with all these young whippersnappers ... "

such good advice
I'm no shredder but sometimes you see that line or that lip and the fact that it's a shore dump or directly over the suck rock
seems to get lost in the mental calculation
:shock:
and those YouTube videos of the Simpsons and Steeno slam in your head
and
well
SLAM

get well soon to all fellow injured Kneelos
rooster

Re: cas

Post by rooster »

CaptKneemo wrote:er er er er Rooster! i gotta try more liquid reinforcement next time it happens. huh? maybe i'll start now so i can build up a tolerance!!!! :wink:
Stay thirsty my friend. :lol: :lol:
rooster

Post by rooster »

That's why your always on the right side of the tracks :wink: