Small surf = more danger

With the averge age of the kneeboarder these days this area should be used to post issues on health matters (surfer's ear, knee surgery, stretches, etc).

Moderator: Moderator

surfhorn
Legend (Contribution King!)

Post by surfhorn »

Your absolutely correct. I rarely have trouble in big surf (except for the gash in the back of my head this winter in big surf).

Most of my injuries have occurred when the waves are knee high and under. I don't know - maybe we're just not paying as much attention to situations. I've had my share of dings when the surf is small---everything from boards to the head to fin gashes to getting slammed into the bottom.

Sounds like a research project for a med student. Any KBer med students out there? I think the University of Queensland did a study many years ago comparing 100 days competing in a sport to how many minor injury days. Football (American; Australian and soccer) were about 88- 98 minor injury days for 100 days of participation.... ouch!; surfing was one injury day per 100 days of participation.
kbing since plywood days
DrStrange

Post by DrStrange »

I think when surf is a bit bigger you tend to be rather suddenly farther away from your board and less likely to tangle with it as you have so much more velocity/momentum.
Beeline2.0

Post by Beeline2.0 »

Last edited by Beeline2.0 on Wed Feb 27, 2008 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
doc
Ripper (more than 100 posts)
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

Re: Small surf = more danger

Post by doc »

TIMO wrote:G'day folks
Is it just me or has anyone else noticed that when the surf gets small you seem to get hurt more. All week its been good solid 6foot, but today it was just getting 2 foot sets at the most when bang board in the face in side the barrel , black eye cut nose etc .Got me thinking about most of my injuries have mostly been in small surf or when the wife puts a "hex" on me by saying "Be careful" just when I'm walking out the door, she does it on perpose now I'm sure ! What about you guys does any of this happen to you? :twisted:
I agree - I think it's 'cos you don't take it nearly as seriously and then, well, then you do something stupid, like the Flyaway Kneeboard Kickout.

which is why I now go fishing on small days.