kneeling and knee injurys

With the averge age of the kneeboarder these days this area should be used to post issues on health matters (surfer's ear, knee surgery, stretches, etc).

Moderator: Moderator

foot boarder
Grom (25 or less posts to site)

kneeling and knee injurys

Post by foot boarder »

Do you think that riding on your knees would be less stressfull to a hurt knee than standing? I can surf standing on it but its wobbly and painfull, and I know I need to rest it so it can heal. I love to run and skate as well so this is kind of lame. Kneeboarding looks fun I like the aesthetic of swinging into your turns using 100% rail and core strength. Never got around to trying it since I have only been surfing a few years anyway. It seems like the kneelo wouldn't work well in a lot of waves where the shock absorbation and drive you gain from using your whole legs helps. Anyway what do you guys think Im sure some of you stand as well. thanks for your help
Beeline2.0
Legend (Contribution King!)

Re: kneeling and knee injurys

Post by Beeline2.0 »

Last edited by Beeline2.0 on Wed Feb 27, 2008 9:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Stephen Michael
Local (More than 25 post)
Local (More than 25 post)

Da Knees

Post by Stephen Michael »

Well, the only thing I can add is that I have been riding for 30+ years, am running my 44th Marathon next week (Boston)....and my knees just cry out for more barrels.....
If you have problems with your knees, this more than likely is not the medium for you. Best of luck to you......
Stephen
Stephen
Bryn
Ripper (more than 100 posts)
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

Post by Bryn »

Have to agree with Stephen here. Have blown the cruciate ligaments in both left and right knees with a deck pad in the last 3 years just from doing cutbacks! Depends how you ride of course but when your upper body is twisting and your knees are still facing forward it does stress them pretty heavily. Not so much impact damage at all but gotta watch the torque. Don't want to put anyone off but knees take a looooong time to heal!
foot boarder

Post by foot boarder »

Thanks guys. ay knee pain sucks Im only 21 too :x. I guess I figured I had youth on my side and I always could sit back and strech, Ice and take painkillers and just mind over matter it out.( :shock: ) But now I realize I need physical therapy If I want to make a lasting improvement, and got to slow down for a while. I had just gotten used to it hurting. Time to belly out for a bit. could be worse. thanks again.
SFKneelo

Me too...

Post by SFKneelo »

I've been a kneelo for 26 years. I've blown both knees, as well as acquiring three vertebrae compression fractures. One knee I did skateboarding, the other twice kneeboarding. The one I did skateboarding was three ligaments (ACL,MCL,LatCol.) It took a year to recover from that one. I was able to avoid surgury on the other, but did work the ACL and MCL. With back issues, I've seen plenty of re-hab.

Anyhow, bottom line is I'm still out there. I tend to over-protect my problem areas. In addition to a deck pad, I have three layers on my knees: wear neoprene knee pads under my wetsuit, have my 4/3 as some cushion, then a larger neoprene pad with straps. It's a bit bulky,
but I've got it down to where the sizing works and it's comfortable. It's definitely added weight, but that weight is close to my board, so it seems
to hold me down on the board a bit. The whole point is to stop over-torque-ing. I try to keep my haunches doing the work, not twisting my
knees.

The back, particularly the lower back, takes a lot of abuse. Keeping abs firm and stretching are the best bet to avoid injury. I will sometimes wear
a neoprene lower back support if it's feeling borderline...

Anyhow, if I do ski, I go up a notch and wear rigid, hinged braces.
Steeno
Legend (Contribution Guru)

me to

Post by Steeno »

I have blown my knee to pieces literally an had a 25cm plate and 8 screws to pull it all together, I did this skating with a sail at about 30mile an hour, fun, but stupid now I think about it. I also compete as a stand up surfer and stand up surf regularly (only when its not on for the kneelo, my kneelo will always come first-must point that out) but I never have any drama's what so ever from my kneeboard, all my knee problems get aggrivated when I stand up. maybe from the over extension and twisting that stand up riding has. My kneeboarding comes from my lower back not my knees. I always use pads.

cheers
Scott

Stop--You Guys Are Scarin' Me!

Post by Scott »

I've been kneeboarding weekly since 1978 living both on Oahu and in Northern California. My knees are in great shape--I've never even experienced a mild injury to them, particularly in surfing. Two of my boards have pads, one doesn't. Hey Don, after reading these posts I'm gonna order a set of pads from you now!

These stories are tragic--I never knew so many of you out there have bum knees, and a number of them sustained while kneeboarding. And just from "torquing." Sheesh! Aren't there others of you out there who haven't had to endure this sort of damage? I will try to learn from these previous posts, but I just sort of go out there and surf. I've always thought the ones who get hurt the most are footboarders, since they have farther to fall and are forever landing spreadlegged over their upturned rail and gettin' it right in the crotch!
Attachments
Wipe Out.JPG
Yes, this is me. But no injury, except to my pride...
(14.66 KiB) Downloaded 467 times
I'm not influenced by the past; I change it!
scoop

Post by scoop »

ive been kneeling since 72....had a break in the midle with family and away from surf ...but hard at it again consistantly since 96 ...i hurt my knee after landing awkwardly after "going over the falls" a couple of years ago.....i had physio and rest and all was good...
i get cramps sometimes...but thats another forum ...but other than age catching up i have no troubles and am as keen ever to get out there and "get that off the ceiling feeling" as often as i can...i love the mid week sessions
gumby

Post by gumby »

OK this is a old post. What about now?

I have been at this for 30+ years. I do have some knee issues from skating and water polo. A buddy wants to get back into surfing. I keep telling him to try one of my boards. He keeps saying it will damage his knees. What are your experiences?
To do what I want to do
I have to do what have to do

Craig
Steeno

Post by Steeno »

mine has got worse
http://legless.tv/

dad
coach
godfather
K-man

Post by K-man »

Nice wipeout scott... :lol: Had a bum knee a few yrs back.Torn cartilage(miniscus)Inside left knee.Painful!Wore a knee brace under my suit,which stabilized the area.Took my vitamins/glucosamine on a regular basis.
Haven't had a problem since.Spend 2 months a yr in the tropics...no rubber.. :D Do have deck pads,and haven't had any problems there either.Don't wear fins...paddle like the wind... :lol: No shoulder problems either!
Hey coach..Never went for minor surgery?Ya look too young for the rocking chair!!

knee stuff http://www.arthroscopy.com/sp05005.htm
KenM

Post by KenM »

Craig, it really depends on the type of injury, some people have had to quit kneeboarding and have switched to stand up due to knee damage. I've heard of others that have switched from stand up to kneeboarding for similar reasons. One would probably have to try it and see what happens.
Captain Kneemo fan club

Post by Steeno »

had the minor, still locking up though....and am avoiding the major surgery for as a long as I can :o
http://legless.tv/

dad
coach
godfather