Kneepad or padded deck

With the averge age of the kneeboarder these days this area should be used to post issues on health matters (surfer's ear, knee surgery, stretches, etc).

Moderator: Moderator

Howard Lorney
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

Post by Howard Lorney »

Cleaned off old glue from a board using MEK solvent (methyl ethyl ketone) and replaced with new deck pad a couple of years back. Dont know if it's recommended but it did no harm to the board.
Live for the moments that take your breath away.

kneed for speed
Bill F

Post by Bill F »

Toluene will get you higher!! :shock: Next time try that "goo -be -gone" stuff. It;s citrus base or something much safer for the liver.
swheeler
Local (More than 25 post)

board pads

Post by swheeler »

Thanks mates. Mainly just wondering if needed to remove glue, and will do and then replace. This is what happens when the swell goes up and you get in a hurry. It really sucks when your pads are peeling off while you are out in the water.

Surf here in Santa Barbara has been good from rincon down, but swells missing here a lot. Time to go to SD for the weekend!

Cheers
big rock, class of 73
TIMO

Post by TIMO »

Well I just use the normal type of knee pads such as Dave Parks type with no problems.
3M have an adhesive removal thinner made for removing masking tape and contact goo, its good but do a small test piece first the danger is any thinner eating into your polyester resin.
The worlds best rubber glue is made by Rima Tiptop called SC2000 it is made for joining conveyer belts together amazing stuff it comes in a small tin (460 Mls) and a small bottle of activator, mix as per instructions then apply to both surfaces and leave dry to the touch, place a series of removable sticks on top of deck area then place pad on top of sticks so not touching deck , line pad up perfect then starting from one end remove stick letting the pad glue down and work your way from one end to the other , make sure its in the right place as it will never come off again. wear gloves and be in a well ventilated area , as with anything that really works its also trying to kill you as well.
good luck hope this helps
cheers Timo
swheeler

Post by swheeler »

Wow! Great suggestion. Thanks. As for the chemicals, I grew up surfing San Diego waters, am immune to all.:>))
big rock, class of 73
sarj

Post by sarj »

I've been using pads of all sorts since the early 70's. I wouldn't think of not using one, I'm in my early fifties, and my knees are in great condition. I gotta figure the pads had a lot to do with it.

It has to go on a board that hasn't been used yet. Waterproof contact cement is all I've ever used. I taper/feather the edges to the board to cut down on water flow interruption, and then rub hot wax where the edge of the pad ends to keep water from getting under it, I've never had one come up. I've put several on for friends over the years

I've also never seen a pad repair last either, 'cept maybe the one we used roofing tar on the third attempt. We shot arrows at that board a few weeks later.

My last four boards, I've had CASEY P put them on. He's down in Costa Mesa, so it might be worth a drive for you. I'd recommend him for it, and I'm pretty picky about that sort of thing. A bad pad can ruin a board. I'm picking up two new boards in the next week or so, and I'm looking him up to do those as well. He puts together a nice custom multi-layer pad that isn't too thick, and seems just right. I still feather the edges and rub the hot wax in on his too, cuz' once a pad comes up, fergitaboutit. I scuff the top surface real lightly with some 40 grit on a random-orbital sander as well, and maintain good contact with my boards in turns.