Kneepad or padded deck

With the averge age of the kneeboarder these days this area should be used to post issues on health matters (surfer's ear, knee surgery, stretches, etc).

Moderator: Moderator

swheeler
Local (More than 25 post)

Kneepad or padded deck

Post by swheeler »

I just started kneeboarding about a year and a half ago after a 30 year break. I am 54. Lately, I have been kneeboarding a lot in the Santa Barbara, ,CA area. Great winter so far. Anyway, I patched an extra kneepad onto my wetsuit and have held up pretty well so far, one knee a bit sore, but kneeboarding more than I did in my early 20s. I am wondering what's better, pads on the knees (more efficient?) or a padded deck (heavier board?).

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
big rock, class of 73
Landlocked

Post by Landlocked »

I like padded decks.
Sometimes I get to surf in warm water and bare knees get sore.
Dean
swheeler

Post by swheeler »

Good point.
big rock, class of 73
Jimbo
Legend (Contribution King!)

Post by Jimbo »

Padded deck fo sho!
gumby

Post by gumby »

Put the pad on the board. Suggest starting thin then go thicker if needed.

Cove pad the best I have found so far.
To do what I want to do
I have to do what have to do

Craig
Kev

Post by Kev »

I'm a big softy

I have both
so when I swap boards I take a little padding with my knees
AND
my boards have a double layer
basic Parks Grey with a softer layer underneath

... said I was soft

I think I have seen that Dave is now providing pads in the Kev style
8)
do I get a royalty ?
K-man

Post by K-man »

.Fitting a pair of pads over the wetsuit kneepad may be a hindrance.All that bulk in a small spot may not be very stable.If it works in your case..well so be it.
A good set of board pads,or a single large pad,works well for me;And in conjunction with the suit kneepad...well... my knees are well protected.What we don't need are major knee problems.Pain hurts... :lol:Nothing worse than having to favor a sore knee or knees.And any adverse effects,such as the feeling of being to ''much''on top of the board,will be negated by having happy knees... :lol: Besides that ''too hight on top feeling''Goes away quickly.

cheers
swheeler

Post by swheeler »

Good advice. Thanks.
big rock, class of 73
robb
Grom (25 or less posts to site)
Grom (25 or less posts to site)

Post by robb »

One thing to make sure about positioning the pad is make sure it covers where your chest contacts the board when you're paddling. I have a reasonably thick Parkes pad that is in the right spot for riding but is not far enough forward for paddling comfort - the forward 2" of my chest overhung the pad and was unsupported and the "ridge" was uncomfortable. I added some strips of closed cell foam forward of the pad to solve this. Paddling your board first and marking the front end of chest contact before sticking on the pad would be a better fix.
swheeler

Post by swheeler »

I bought the pads from Bud in Hawaii and didn't install correctly. So they came unglued and I pulled them off. Any idea how to dissolve the glue and put in new ones, or maybe it's just better to glue over the glue as it may offer a traction?
big rock, class of 73
southpeakbrad

Post by southpeakbrad »

What I did for many years before I had a pad on my deck was to slide down some pads into my wetsuit that would pretty much stay in place over my knees. I took some old camping pad and cut some rounded rectangular shaped pieces that fit just fine.

I much prefer a pad on the deck now. I really don't see guys using pads that retain much water either. As you meet up with other kneeriders check our their pads and ask about their history with pads as well :wink:
swheeler

Post by swheeler »

I do on the rare occasions I see one. A friend told me that last tuesday to kneeboarders were ripping rincon and getting shacked at the rivermouth with the good sand build up. I like the pads too. My other board has them and they are not heavy and just better.

Hope you get some of the swell arriving today.
big rock, class of 73
KenM

Post by KenM »

Wheels, try orange solv type solvent to remove the glue, if you put the new pad over the old glue it won't stick. Man, I sure miss Capt Kneemo on threads like this with all these guys talkin' about their pads. :wink:
Captain Kneemo fan club

Post by K-man »

been there several times.Leave the board in the sun to soften the glue.Hotter the better...Too hot will damage the board.Cover the board to insulate from heat,leaving the area to be cleaned uncovered.Using a paint scraper with single edge razor start working slowly.There's a few products that will loosen/melt the glue...your choice.I use ''goop''nasty but quite effective.Not warm enough?A gallon of ''fairly''hot water will facilitate the process.Alternative method....Hair dryer works well also....A nice cold brew,or two,also helps... :lol:

cheers
Ler

hey

Post by Ler »

I just got my 2nd Cove Pad and I think there the best!