My injured shoulder

With the averge age of the kneeboarder these days this area should be used to post issues on health matters (surfer's ear, knee surgery, stretches, etc).

Moderator: Moderator

Tom Linn
Legend (Contribution King!)

Post by Tom Linn »

Thanks for all the input guys. I went to a friend of mine who is a PT. He did an exam similar to day described and concluded that I'm f'cked. Off to see a Dr Kramer, ASP ortho doc, in Newport Beach in two days.

Thanks again!
Eric Carson

Post by Eric Carson »

Sorry to hear that.
I injured my shoulder in the mid 90's, got an MRI, doctor consultation, and was told I needed surgery for a rotator cuff injury. My diagnosis was specificely called impingement syndrome. I had severe pain during sleep (rolling over) as well as during daily activities. I had crepidus in my shoulder during any rotational movement. As a last resort before surgery, my personal physician suggested I try glucosamine sulfate for 2 months. I took 1,000 mg per day (One year) and my shoulder has been mostly pain free ever since. I still have crepidus (Clicking) but zero pain and 100% strength. The medical reviews for glucosamine sulfate/condrotine are mixed, but for me, the results were "Nothing short of dramatic"!
Just my 2 cents.
Scott

Post by Scott »

Such an interesting discussion.

Sorry about the prognosis, Tom. I'm trusting there will be a way for you somehow to get this corrected and back in to shredding by the next Campus Point massive swell.
I'm not influenced by the past; I change it!
Scott

Post by Scott »

Such an interesting discussion.

Sorry about the prognosis, Tom. I'm trusting there will be a way for you somehow to get this corrected and back in to shredding soon!
I'm not influenced by the past; I change it!
offroadbob
Local (More than 25 post)

Post by offroadbob »

surgery should be a last resort, get at least a 2nd opinion misdiagnosis is common with shoulder injuries, a friend of mine had both shoulders done and was misdiagnosed , which meant they had to go in again because the the real problem was with the ball and socket not the muscles, now he can barely move his arms. his first mri had no dye which would have shown the real problem. please explore all avenues and make an informed decision
Jack Beresford

tom

Post by Jack Beresford »

Hang in there Tom! We'll all think good thoughts and hopefully it all come out all right - I really enjoy watching you KB and those photos from earlier in the winter at the Creek were unbelievable!

Gettin' old sucks!

Jack
Bud

Post by Bud »

Tom,
I had the same problem a few years back.
I was scratching to get back out after an intense barrel over the center shelf out front here. The next wave was bearing down on me and I was scraping my fingers on the reef just inches below as I paddled with everything I had to try to get under the lip. I felt a sharp stinging pain in my shoulder on the last pull before punching through the face. My shoulder burned like hell the rest of the session. From then on for a few months I had the same pain and mobility issues. I did a lot of online research and came to realize I had torn my rotator cuff. I consulted a couple of very good Dr.s, our own kb bro Dr. Bill Lerner and his brother in law ortho surgeon Dr. Dave. Following their advice of rest time to heal, simple physio exorcises with an elastic band, lots of glucosamine sulfate/condrotine. For inflammation and pain I took ibuprofen.
Just like Eric, I've got the click in my shoulder but full mobility and strength again.
By the sound of it, given you still have the mobility you do, surgery might not be needed. "offroadbob" is spot on, surgery should be the last resort. Get the MRI and carefully go from there.
If I'd gone for surgery, resulting in an immovable arm, who'd have wiped me arse? :shock: :lol:
C.P.Odom

Post by C.P.Odom »

Fresh back from the Doctor, my rotator cuff is torn. No great war stories like Buddy's just too much back yard labor. Lots of ice, ibuprofen, glucosamine, and rest.
frankfqr
Ripper (more than 100 posts)
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

shoulder

Post by frankfqr »

Lots of comments regarding the use of gluco/condro doses, I've heard good reports on it. Just curious if anyone has delved into the use of Hyaluronic Acid? PT friend of mine claims it works faster and kicks azz on joint improvement and other body functions. As for stretching, check into AIS, active isolated stretch, the benificial theories are valid, I like it. GOOD LUCK!!
day

Healing

Post by day »

Hang in there Tom, the ocean will be there when you recover. The sun will rise and the waves will come.

It sounds like the exam and test that the PT did indicated a torn rotator cuff. ("f..ked") Unless you had totally weakness of the rotator cuff during the exam, the evaluation test indicates the problem tissue but cannot definitively differentiate a bad tendonitis from a tear. Total weakness would indicate a total rupture of the tissue.
You are doing the right thing by seeing an orthopedic surgeon. He will most likely order an MRI. The MRI will give a clearer picture of the condition of the rotator cuff and other tissues. After your results come in, he will discuss the findings with you.
Hopefully you just have impingement syndrome and tendonitis of the RC tendon. This can still be very painful and bothersome, but does not need surgery to recover from. You would need to work with your PT to find out what is causing your impingement (pinching) and correct it.
For recover from injuries, I recommend anti oxidant supplementation. (I recommend glucosamine if the problem is related to degenerative arthritis where the cartilage covering is wearing out. I hope I did not rock anybody's boat that uses it for other conditions.) You can ask your PT friend for some assisted exercises to keep your range of motion without straining the RC tear (if that is what you have.)
Keep up the spirit. Surf in your mind.
Happy healing.
red

Post by red »

Tom,
Mine was "hanging by a thread".
Surgery recommended.
But like you I had waited a long time since the injury.

As a uni researcher I have access to lots of medical research. I have medical papers I could send to you, if you're interested.

Chances of success from surgery drop dramatically over the first 2 weeks. Here's why:
They clean the muscle off the bone, trim the torn end neat and then stretch it and 'staple' it to the bone, hoping that the staples hold and the muscle 'relaxes' to its new stretched position and knits to the bone.
But in the weeks after the tear the muscle has already shrunk, so is under more strain in its new stretched position, hence the potential for failure.

Short story - if there's been a delay between the tear and the surgery then it's probably not worth the risk of going under the knife. Try to fix it through rest, etc (I did). If it tears again after you're rehabilitated, then you know to get into the theatre asap (like the pro footballers do).

If you rest up, get to ortho, physio or other help, then you'll be in shape again for the world's.

Red
Tom Linn

Post by Tom Linn »

Thanks for the concern and comments guys. Here is the status. I got a MRI with the dye last week. My ortho doc, Dr Kramer, who is endorsed by the ASP, surfs regularly, and has worked on several major pros, read my MRI today.

Here is his diagnosis- I have a farily bad "SLAP tear" or sub labrom (sp?) tear which clearly shows on the MRI. The tear extends for 180 degrees around my shoulder joint. Only viable treatment is surgery. Good news is that I can expect a full 100% recovery. Bad news is that I'll be out of the water another 3-4 months on top of the 3 months I've already missed.

Currently I can only tentatively lift my arm above my shoulder, have intense pain when I reach behind my back( such as putting on a coat), and have lost a lot of strength in my left arm. Dr Kramer was quite confident that I would have a 100% recovery given surgery, time and PT.

Also, he is going to use some new "platelets" injection technology that should speed the healing process.

If you guys have any comments, info or experience with my problem let me know. Again, thanks for the help.
analbirth

Post by analbirth »

Huh, got both shoulders strapped at present, inflamed tendons not torn luckily, but out of action for a coupla weeks. Been putting it off for a while.
Mine came from using a butterfly action when paddling out through white water, works like a charm, gets you up out of the turbulence fast, but at a cost. Or so i found out. The swimmers that have the most troubles are B/Flyers so iv'e heard, to late of course. As for frank's Q, the only acid iv'e used is lisurgic 8) :? :D :shock: it also has been known to make joints work betterer or so it seems at the time :D :D :D
once you've had black you'll never go back!!!
southpeakbrad

Post by southpeakbrad »

Well Tom, it must feel somewhat good to have an explanation for how you've been feeling and to have a plan to correct it. Wishing you a successful surgery and quick recovery.