Man O’ War Health Update

With the averge age of the kneeboarder these days this area should be used to post issues on health matters (surfer's ear, knee surgery, stretches, etc).

Moderator: Moderator

MikeS
Local (More than 25 post)

Post by MikeS »

Mark,
I knew you were a good man from the day I met you, at Pleasure Point a few years back.You invited me to come by your flat and hang with the other Kneelos who ride spoons. It was great meeting you and your friends. Although we had a brief meeting,your hospitality and kindness was from the "SOUL" I can see why your a man who teaches the word of God....Good Luck my friend.
God bless, Mike
"Dunes Local"
tomway
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

Post by tomway »

Mark

Wishing you all the strength in the coming months.

Your flexspoon posts have always been some of the highlights for me and I have them stored away in my 'other' bible of kneeboard design files.

thoughts and prayers...

Tom
Scott
Legend (Contribution King!)

Post by Scott »

Thank you to all of you for your encouragement, your humor, your good wishes and your prayers. I'm sure Mark will eventually read each one carefully, and definitely enjoy them all. On a personal note, I've also received some great phone calls, too, from some of you.

Marcus, that Bluebottle board you received from MOW was a "pay it forward" missive, as the board was previously gifted to Mark through Tony, aka "Scoop". Tony brought it with him from Down Under to our very first KSUSA contest at Pleasure Point years ago. He had it shipped cross country to Mark at the conclusion of the contest--just wanted him to have it! Then, after a number of year and great rides in the warm Atlantic, he sent it off to you even as he had received it.

Lots of great guys and great stories on this site, ya know?

I will update this thread on Mark's condition probably around the conclusion of his chemo.
quadfin

Post by quadfin »

Praying for Brother Mark and will add him to our prayer list. Looking forward to surfing with the man some day.
Surf Hard Live Slow
kidrock

Post by kidrock »

Mark,

your faith (and your spoons!!!!) are inspirational. Although I've never met you, certain fellows in The Underground speak very highly of you...and that's good enough for me. :wink:

Add my thoughts and prayers for a safe and healthy recovery to the growing list of friends.

Que le vaya bien, Amigo.
"So if you want to kneeboard, find the hollowest waves you can, ride as short of a board as possible and go fast and deep. If you want to slip and slide, twist and jerk, go for air then stand up and do it. Let’s keep kneeboarding sacred."
-Bird Huffman
Eric Carson

Post by Eric Carson »

Mark we're praying for you!!
Eric and Anna
JohnS

Post by JohnS »

Mark,
Thoughts and prayers for a swift and full recovery from our family. Best wishes,
--John
Scott

Post by Scott »

Update 4/22. I spoke with MOW this evening as he completes his third day of chemo. Mostly good so far, some difficulty yesterday that was remedied with some added medication.

Mark got his first glimpse of the compassion and encouragement from the posts in this thread (his wife, Ruth, printed it all out and brought it to his room). After reading them, Mark called me right away to make sure that I passed along that he was very touched by the rich outpouring of support. He asked me to convey how awesome is the KSUSA community, and he pledges to become much more involved in posting in the threads upon his return in the future!
MWROBERTSON

Mow

Post by MWROBERTSON »

MOW & Scott,

I have not been to the site for awhile. I was both shocked and saddend to read this news. MOW, although we have never met, I have gotten to know Scott quite well. He is a wondeful guy and I hear you are cut from the same mold. The world needs more like you . So please fight hard and have faith. I will say a little prayer for you when I ride my next wave.

MR-
quadfin

Post by quadfin »

Scott wrote:Update 4/22. I spoke with MOW this evening as he completes his third day of chemo. Mostly good so far, some difficulty yesterday that was remedied with some added medication.

Mark got his first glimpse of the compassion and encouragement from the posts in this thread (his wife, Ruth, printed it all out and brought it to his room). After reading them, Mark called me right away to make sure that I passed along that he was very touched by the rich outpouring of support. He asked me to convey how awesome is the KSUSA community, and he pledges to become much more involved in posting in the threads upon his return in the future!
Last edited by quadfin on Thu May 06, 2010 9:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Surf Hard Live Slow
gumby

Post by gumby »

MOW
Put in my request with the maker as I entered the water today.
It was all about YOU. Comfort and healing

With His Love
To do what I want to do
I have to do what have to do

Craig
Mike Fernandez

Post by Mike Fernandez »

I spoke to Mark today, he sounded really well, and he is trying to get a laptop so he can get online from his hospital bed.
Keep praying. :wink:
I am a traveller of both time and space, a weaver in and out of dreams, I see worlds seldom seen.

www.michaelfernandezphoto.com
Rocky Point/Black Rock
http://www.youtube.com/user/kneelocoveproduction
Stephen Michael

To my friend

Post by Stephen Michael »

I thought it was only last fall you and I surfed that beautiful day at little Talbot Island together.....broke bread at Tiuanna Flats in lakewood and talked recently about going to Hatteras in the fall and something told me to sign on to KSUSA tonight and here I am.
My heart and soul are with you Mark. As a man of great faith I don't have to tell you that your not alone.......All my best for a speedy recovery Mark.
Guess I will have to hop in the car and come down to see you....soon.
Last edited by Stephen Michael on Thu May 06, 2010 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stephen
Scott

Update on MOW as of 5/5/2010

Post by Scott »

Mark Wessling (MOW) is now through the chemo, which was not TOO hideous and experience actually (compared to all the horror stories that one typically hears about it). Then came the waiting for a week to see if the bone marrow--which was completely destroyed in the chemo--will grow back producing healthy, cancer-free white blood cells. Finally, two days ago it was finally time for the docs to conduct the biopsy of Mark's bone and send it off to the lab. Meanwhile he waited for the results. The doc met with him this morning. Mark initially left me a voicemail of the consult. Here is pretty much his word-for-word on my phone (the "we" is referring to his wife, Ruth, and him:
“We just got our report this morning, giving us the options of finding if I’m cancer free and able to go home in a few weeks or still needing to go through the laborious process of a bone marrow transplant. The doctor came in and said that bone marrow growth was very positive, but that it had not grown back enough to know for sure—it’s too early to tell conclusively if it's cancer-free. He is going to wait a week and check it again with another biopsy. Then will come final decision about the need for a bone marrow transplant.”
There is also the real option of having a bone marrow transplant regardless, even if the new marrow is cancer free. This is "just to be safe" and not risk a vicious resurgence of the cancer in about a year.

So, we are very thankful to God for this positive preliminary report, and grateful to you for all your prayers and expressions of support.

We'll keep you posted...
dua anjing

Post by dua anjing »

Thanks for the update Scott, I'll say a few quite prayers and keep fingers crossed that there will be more good news shortly.
I live in my own little world, But it's OK they know me there.