recovery from neck fusion

With the averge age of the kneeboarder these days this area should be used to post issues on health matters (surfer's ear, knee surgery, stretches, etc).

Moderator: Moderator

froggalliarde
Grom (25 or less posts to site)
Grom (25 or less posts to site)

recovery from neck fusion

Post by froggalliarde »

Can anybody provide me with any info about knee boarders who have had a cervical (neck)fusion and are back in the water ?[/list]
day
Local (More than 25 post)
Local (More than 25 post)

Post by day »

Know a stand up surfer that had neck fusion. Took him a while to feel comfortable in water. (over a year)
Make sure your fusion is solid via X-ray confirmation. Get your surgeon to declare your neck fusion solid enough for close outs, pearl dives and etc. When fusion stable ask your surgeon to send you to PT for neck isometric strengthening, ROM exercises, shoulder conditioning. If you have good ROM in thoracic and lumbar spine (extension) this can help compensate for any lost of cervical extension. (Which you need to be able to get chest and head off the board to paddle.) There is a product called a paddle air that can help with this. It has an air bladder that you can blow up under your chest. This lifts your chest, shoulders and neck up without as much muscular effort and neck straining. Also easier on your shoulders during the recovery phase of your arm stroke because your shoulder are higher up. Just have to get used to people asking you what that noodle (air tube) is that is hanging around your neck.
Good luck and good healing.
Mike Fernandez
Legend (Contribution King!)
Legend (Contribution King!)

Post by Mike Fernandez »

Great answer Day! All I can add is stay out of the water on days there are currents. Not being an everyday kneelo, I find that paddling/laying down while turning my head sideways to view the lineup really tweaks out my neck. I avoid the currents for now. :wink:
I am a traveller of both time and space, a weaver in and out of dreams, I see worlds seldom seen.

www.michaelfernandezphoto.com
Rocky Point/Black Rock
http://www.youtube.com/user/kneelocoveproduction