Tonic water for calf cramps

With the averge age of the kneeboarder these days this area should be used to post issues on health matters (surfer's ear, knee surgery, stretches, etc).

Moderator: Moderator

Mike Fernandez
Legend (Contribution King!)

Post by Mike Fernandez »

I would suggest a mixture of the following: water, sucrose syrup, glucose-fructose syrup, citric acid, natural and artificial flavors, salt, sodium citrate, monopotassium phosphate, ester gum, sucrose acetate isobutyrate, yellow 5. :wink:
I am a traveller of both time and space, a weaver in and out of dreams, I see worlds seldom seen.

www.michaelfernandezphoto.com
Rocky Point/Black Rock
http://www.youtube.com/user/kneelocoveproduction
CONTIKI
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

Post by CONTIKI »

You forgot the Tequila :?
*WAVES ARE OF THE ESSENCE*
5 SUMMER STORIES
CONTIKI

Post by CONTIKI »

Isn't that like Coke or Gatorade?
5 SUMMER STORIES
CONTIKI

Post by CONTIKI »

KenM wrote::shock: Presurf vodka and tonic?? You guys could be on to something. :lol:
That's what I thought also...
But early in the morning, I prefer Tequila :roll:
5 SUMMER STORIES
KenM

Post by KenM »

CONTIKI wrote:
KenM wrote::shock: Presurf vodka and tonic?? You guys could be on to something. :lol:
That's what I thought also...
But early in the morning, I prefer Tequila :roll:
That's fine as long as you chase it with the tonic water.
Captain Kneemo fan club
Local (More than 25 post)

cramps

Post by day »

az - it sounds like your cramps are from exertion in cold water. It may be that being in the cold water too long is triggering a shivering reaction in your leg muscles making it more prone to cramping or the cold water is causing your blood vessels to constrict cutting down on circulation. Some things to try. 1. Shorter surf session. 2. Warmer wet suit. 3. No fins. (Less muscle exertion, hopefully not less waves.)
The pulling up of toes toward front of shin will stretch the back calf muscle (which is the most likely one to cramp), can also help relieve and prevent the cramping in the water.
I would take the Ca/Mag regularly and the sports drink before the go out, which will usually have some in the formula.
Do stretch for gastroc and soleus muscle before going out. (One done with knee straight , other with knee bent.) 30 sec or more, 2 or more reps.
Other factors that can contribute to cramping. if you take a diuretic, if you have circulation problems in legs (PVD, diabetes, etc.)
alfredo zavala

Post by alfredo zavala »

Real quickly, just wanted to post that I surfed yesterday and had no cramps due to the good advice I recieved from this posting!! :D
I stretched more thoroughly and for longer, and added propel with calcium to my liter of water + 250 mg. of magnesium and requisite banana.
We'll see if this was just a fluke, but I am really hopeful.
I will add that I did not have any tequila or vodka, as advised and I WILL NOT GET RID OF MY BELOVED DUCK FEET!! :wink: :lol:
Keep on surfin' y'all!
kneelogrl
Grom (25 or less posts to site)
Grom (25 or less posts to site)

Post by kneelogrl »

For muscle cramps, try increasing your magnesium intake, whether by supplements or food. Muscles need calcium for contraction & magnesium for release. Anything rich in chlorophyll has abundant magnesium: spirulina, dark green leafy veg.
Mike Fernandez

Post by Mike Fernandez »

CONTIKI wrote:Isn't that like Coke or Gatorade?
It's gatorade :lol: I forgot the banana.
I am a traveller of both time and space, a weaver in and out of dreams, I see worlds seldom seen.

www.michaelfernandezphoto.com
Rocky Point/Black Rock
http://www.youtube.com/user/kneelocoveproduction
KenM

Post by KenM »

analbirth wrote:if your already in the surf and you get cramp, paddle out the back and just take a few small sips of seawater [ if you can trust it in your area ] a few minutes apart, also while you waiting try pulling back on your flipper with your leg straight out on the nose can be a bit tricky but gets easier with practice. The salt in the seawater does the same thing as electrolites in sports drinks. This can take 10-15min. to start working but it does work. It's funny that most guys won't do it, must be the fear of the fish fooking in the water. I spose if i was anywhere near a major city or oil slick i wouldn't either. No worse than the shite that gets sprayed on our food.
I'm certain this would work but is VERY risky. I once accidentally ingested a gulp of seawater at a very rural spot hear in NorCal, got so sick I thought I might die and pretty much was wishing I would. The break, like almost ALL breaks around here was downstream from pasture lands. After some tests, my Doctor ruled out Hepatitis and an AMOEBA :shock: Both of which he said were possibilities. A better solution is to get some energy gel packets and tuck one in your wetsuit sleeve, or wax pocket.
Captain Kneemo fan club

Post by Bob »

Stretch calves before paddling out. Never be dehydrated.
K-man

Post by K-man »

Found this=When we are in a cold environment, blood flow to our internal organs is increased to keep our organs warm.The increase in blood flow to the kidneys causes more blood to be filtered thus producing more urine,which has to go somewhere....
Which no doubt leads to electrolyte loss...hence cramps.
Dump the fins...that'll help....a lot!.... :lol:
Doesn't seem to be a problem when in the islands...warm water.

Day made a good point,do shorter sessions.I'll do 2-2-1/2 hrs take a break,rehydrate,do another session;which is usually shorter.

cheers.