Tonic water for calf cramps

With the averge age of the kneeboarder these days this area should be used to post issues on health matters (surfer's ear, knee surgery, stretches, etc).

Moderator: Moderator

alfredo zavala
Legend (Contribution King!)

Tonic water for calf cramps

Post by alfredo zavala »

Okay,
I'm tired of still getting cramps in da calf muscle. :evil:
How much of that nasty stuff (tonic water) must one drink in order to recieve the therapeutic benefit?
Waiting for replies . . .
Thanks.
KenM

Post by KenM »

Fredo, I'm not sure about the quinine but I've been having good results with a mix of 1/4 teaspoon baking soda (the alkaline counters the lactic acid, or something like that)(google "soda loading"for more info) with a tablespoon of All One powdered calcium complex (1000mg calcium, 500mg magnesium) mixed with an 8oz chocolate soy milk (350mg potassium). Chase it with some water for good measure.
Captain Kneemo fan club

Post by KneeBumps »

Try SmartWater or make your own from electrolyte mix.
Be careful with the quinine.
"All I want in this life of mine is some good clean fun
All I want in this life and time is some hit and run"
Lowell George
frankfqr
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

cramps

Post by frankfqr »

"be careful with the quinine" ???
Something you know kneebumps? Please share.

I keep the cheap six-pack of tonic water in the car and chug one while suiting up. Cramps gone, and they used to hit me every session like clockwork at about 2hrs. in. It's the only time I drink the stuff, can't be as bad as the 1-2 drink daily blast with vodka that some might take on?
KneeBumps

Post by KneeBumps »

frankfqr,
Probably not an issue if you're just drinking it in tonic water (I do- with gin, tho) , but stay away from the products available over the web for leg cramps - they can cause serious side effects and worse. Google "quinine side effects" and you'll get plenty of info.
My mom almost died from quinine treatments back in the 60's.
Lowell George
Scott

Post by Scott »

Fredo,

I've sometimes had a prescription filled from a doctor for quinine tablets with some good success. Tell your doctor you need them to stay active in exercise--they like to encourage that.
KenM

Post by KenM »

:shock: Presurf vodka and tonic?? You guys could be on to something. :lol:
Captain Kneemo fan club

cramps

Post by frankfqr »

Searched away-kneebumps!!!
That stuff can be some nasty sh*t!!! Seems that even a drop can be lethal to those that are predisposed. Like Bee stings to some. Dosages for malaria are 625mg. every 8hrs., dosages for leg cramps (when it was available) were 200-325mg. per night.

The amount in a can of tonic water is 40mg. Some people are guzzing liters per day with no side effects.

Like I said I only drink 1 can per session so most docs.would probably shrug and say go for it.

Side note, I only use Duck feet, so cramps were constant, they no longer exist, no exageration. Same reports from a few friends who've tried it.

I say guzz away. Gin or vodka your choice.
day
Local (More than 25 post)
Local (More than 25 post)

leg cramps

Post by day »

az - Quinine is FDA approved for treatment of Malaria. The amount in tonic water is very low (20mg) and unsure if has any therapeutic benefit. There are serious side effect as Frank pointed out in large doses. Chest pain, heart rhythm disturbances, skin changes, changes in urination, stomach pain, diarrhea, vomiting to name a few. Consult w/ your MD before taking over the counter stuff for cramps, there are risky side effect for certain people.
Less risky treatment for leg cramps include: regular calf stretching, especially before activity (or before sleep if having night cramps), proper hydration and electrolytes if having during strenuous activity, calcium/ magnesium supplementation.
When are you having those bothersome leg cramps?
alfredo zavala

Post by alfredo zavala »

Thanks for the current feedback y'all.
I know the calf cramp subject has come up before on the site and I remembered the tonic water cure.
Well, I tried it this morning and I think that it didn't sit well with me.
I was drinking on my way to the coast(probably 12 oz) and when I got there I had to go to the head like pronto if ya know what I mean, then my stomach just felt yucky. Kinda ruined my session. I did't get a cramp, but I wasn't out too long either.
I think my stomach isn't in to it.
I use duck feet, surf in pretty cold water, so I, like so many of you start getting cramps after a couple of hours , sometimes sooner.
I stretch before I go out, but I'm not sure that I'm doing it long enough. I'm a little impatient when I'm in front of the ocean!
I'll try the sport water and see if that helps?
Should the calcium/ magnesium supplements be taken daily, or before the go out?
Bob

Post by Bob »

Banana on the drive down and a calf stretch on the beach before paddling out. I never get them anymore unless I am dehydrated. Drinking the night before...always get cramps the next day.
analbirth

Post by analbirth »

if your already in the surf and you get cramp, paddle out the back and just take a few small sips of seawater [ if you can trust it in your area ] a few minutes apart, also while you waiting try pulling back on your flipper with your leg straight out on the nose can be a bit tricky but gets easier with practice. The salt in the seawater does the same thing as electrolites in sports drinks. This can take 10-15min. to start working but it does work. It's funny that most guys won't do it, must be the fear of the fish fooking in the water. I spose if i was anywhere near a major city or oil slick i wouldn't either. No worse than the shite that gets sprayed on our food.
once you've had black you'll never go back!!!
KneeBumps

Post by KneeBumps »

Electrolyte tablets (Mg and K, sometimes including Ca) work, but take longer. Electrolytes dissolved in sport drinks work faster, but often contain sugar- that's why I like the SmartWater. My wife rides horses, had nightly leg cramps, and swears by it. I drink a bottle before paddling out and before my daily swim & kick workout, so far so good.
Lowell George
KenM

Post by KenM »

alfredo zavala wrote: I stretch before I go out, but I'm not sure that I'm doing it long enough.
About 30 seconds per side is about right, don't forget to do your quads and hamstring while your at it. :lol: Also, stretching them during the week should help too.
Captain Kneemo fan club

Post by quadfin »

Emergen C (Surfrider Blue), Cal/Mag tab, Potassium tab, and Spring Water.
Surf Hard Live Slow