Patello Femoral Syndrome

With the averge age of the kneeboarder these days this area should be used to post issues on health matters (surfer's ear, knee surgery, stretches, etc).

Moderator: Moderator

quadfin
Legend (Contribution King!)

Patello Femoral Syndrome

Post by quadfin »

I got it. My buddy Jimmy Evans stated as I limped across the carpark "welcome to your golden years".

The patella, commonly referred to as the "knee cap", and its tendon transmit power from the quadriceps to the lower leg. Normally, as the knee bends, the patella slides smoothly along a groove in the thigh bone. However, under certain conditions the patella may experience forces which push it against the sides of the groove, causing pain. Additionally, inflammation and roughening of the smooth underside of the patella may occur. Collectively, this process is referred to as patellofemoral syndrome (PFS). Some of you may be familiar with the older term, chondromalacia patella.
Surf Hard Live Slow
analbirth

Post by analbirth »

i'm more familiar with the term fosilosis geriatrica
once you've had black you'll never go back!!!
sarj
Local (More than 25 post)

Post by sarj »

OMS.
Mike Fernandez

Post by Mike Fernandez »

So now what? :cry:
I am a traveller of both time and space, a weaver in and out of dreams, I see worlds seldom seen.

www.michaelfernandezphoto.com
Rocky Point/Black Rock
http://www.youtube.com/user/kneelocoveproduction
quadfin

Post by quadfin »

Mike Fernandez wrote:So now what? :cry:
Building hamstrings seems to be the only answer. Still surfing and ice after each session.
Surf Hard Live Slow
Mike Fernandez

Post by Mike Fernandez »

Glad you can still go out. I have been riding a bike to try and stay in shape. Might get a couple days of waves this week, first in months. :wink:
I am a traveller of both time and space, a weaver in and out of dreams, I see worlds seldom seen.

www.michaelfernandezphoto.com
Rocky Point/Black Rock
http://www.youtube.com/user/kneelocoveproduction
Bill F
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

Post by Bill F »

find a pool.
CONTIKI

Post by CONTIKI »

analbirth wrote:i'm more familiar with the term fosilosis geriatrica
HAHAHAHAHA!!! :arrow: :shock:
*WAVES ARE OF THE ESSENCE*
5 SUMMER STORIES
day

patello femoral syndrome

Post by day »

Q - Did you have your knee evaluated? Patello femoral syndrome tells you where the problem is, but not what is causing you to have pain in that area. There are also other causes of anterior knee pain besides patello femoral pain. So good to get a good evaluation to nail down cause.
You want to check for patella position, alignment, tilt, mobility, tracking, quadriceps strength and balance, tightness of lateral structures of the knee, also check for other hip and foot problems that may contribute to the problem, etc.
If it is patello femoral syndrome and you nail down what may have contributed to the problem then you will have specifics to focus your therapy on.
Part of your program may include modifying or avoiding certain positions and activities while the knee is "hot". E.g. going down slopes/stairs, deep squatting, jumping, prolonged low sitting with knees bent, etc. (Activities and positions that compress the patella into the femur.)
Other parts of your program can include: using a knee brace or taping to control patella position, stretching of any tight lateral tissues of the knee, stretching quads, hamstrings and calf if found to be tight, strengthening of the medial (inner) quadricep muscles call the VMO. This helps pull the patella to a better tracking position.
In regards to knee boarding: Not wearing fins; more upright style; avoiding big airs/ hard landing; avoid falling lip on your back -driving you into your board; use good deck pad; try a knee brace w/ a hole for the patella. If it is your left knee, surf more right breaks, opposite if right knee. This will keep the sore knee on the outside rail and less pressure. Go easy on the heavy cut backs.
You can recover from this.
Good healing.
quadfin

Re: patello femoral syndrome

Post by quadfin »

day wrote:Q - Did you have your knee evaluated? Patello femoral syndrome tells you where the problem is, but not what is causing you to have pain in that area. There are also other causes of anterior knee pain besides patello femoral pain. So good to get a good evaluation to nail down cause.
You want to check for patella position, alignment, tilt, mobility, tracking, quadriceps strength and balance, tightness of lateral structures of the knee, also check for other hip and foot problems that may contribute to the problem, etc.
If it is patello femoral syndrome and you nail down what may have contributed to the problem then you will have specifics to focus your therapy on.
Part of your program may include modifying or avoiding certain positions and activities while the knee is "hot". E.g. going down slopes/stairs, deep squatting, jumping, prolonged low sitting with knees bent, etc. (Activities and positions that compress the patella into the femur.)
Other parts of your program can include: using a knee brace or taping to control patella position, stretching of any tight lateral tissues of the knee, stretching quads, hamstrings and calf if found to be tight, strengthening of the medial (inner) quadricep muscles call the VMO. This helps pull the patella to a better tracking position.
In regards to knee boarding: Not wearing fins; more upright style; avoiding big airs/ hard landing; avoid falling lip on your back -driving you into your board; use good deck pad; try a knee brace w/ a hole for the patella. If it is your left knee, surf more right breaks, opposite if right knee. This will keep the sore knee on the outside rail and less pressure. Go easy on the heavy cut backs.
You can recover from this.
Good healing.
Wow Thanks. Number one problem is that I am an old roughneck and tank cleaner with so many injuries I can't count. Had achilles tendon surgery and my PT had warned me that favoring one side could lead to problems. Another PT gave me the opinion that I had PFS and have not seen an Ortho. My Ortho retired to his native Nica and built out an old Navy Dental truck into a mobile office. If any of you run into Doc Vargas down there tell him hello for me. Have worn a brace but noticed knotting in the tendons around the patella. Scares me as I had blood clots in the other leg and discontinued use. Icing seem to do the most good along with flat surf. My girl is a massage therapist and that has done the most good. I live for heavy cutbacks so guess that is going to be a problem...lol I am looking into a thicker pad. I also live for rights and it is my right knee so guess I have another problem. Thanks again
Surf Hard Live Slow