Water on the knee.

With the averge age of the kneeboarder these days this area should be used to post issues on health matters (surfer's ear, knee surgery, stretches, etc).

Moderator: Moderator

Nov
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

Water on the knee.

Post by Nov »

Right now I got water on the knee, it's swollen and I can't kneel on it. I don't really hear of other kneeboarders having it but it keeps coming back for me, the only thing that seems to help it is rest. Does anyone have any tips for getting rid of it? And for good?
DrStrange
Legend (Contribution King!)

Post by DrStrange »

You mean it swells and gets puffy? Could be a number of causes. Really best bet is to see a good doc, preferably one with sports experience and have them give diagnosis. Lot of times you can come up with a non-invasive alt.treatment once you have the dx. (Mine used to do that from torn cartilage when the loose flap would flip from certain movements and then it would swell and hurt for a week or so. )
Flexman

Post by Flexman »

Last edited by Flexman on Sun Apr 30, 2006 11:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
khoningford
Local (More than 25 post)

water on the knee

Post by khoningford »

First let me say that seeing a good doc should be your #1 priority, and as has been said before preferably one with a sports medicine background. A good program of treatment and rehabilitation can only be attained through proper diagnosis.

Having said that though, have you tried any of the over-the-counter medications available for the treatment of inflammation, such as ibuprophen? I myself take an occasional Advil as needed and this seems to do the trick under most circumstances, but even a simple aspirin could (possibly) provide relief.

Another effective item and one that I personally have achieved results with is glucosamine condroitin. This must be taken in liquid form and for a duration of no less than 90 days for proper absorption into the joint tissue. This taken in conjunction with methylsulfonylmethane (MSM) will help to strengthen connective tissue and repair damage to joint cartilage, thus helping to prevent injuries such as the one afflicting you and others common to kneeboarding. One caviat regarding the Glu/con...the taste can only be described as the closest thing to drinking bullfrog urine. My suggestion is to combine it with your choice of fruit juice...and swallow hard. Also, don`t waste your dough on the capsule form, as most of it will be passed right thru the digestive system and eliminated.

Another option if you`re more into taking the holistic approach is evening primrose oil. This is a natural anti-inflammatory. Others are marine (fish) oil, vitamin E and celery oil. Cranberries are also widely heralded for there anti- inflammatory qualities.

Another tried-but-true suggestion is to ice your knees down following every surf session...hey, it might not be this latest, hippest thing to come down the pipe, but 2 million sports coaches can`t be too wrong.

One more thing you should definitely look into is the purchase of a good pair of knee pads, preferably the one piece kind that wrap around the knee so as not to slide off when being cleaned up by those monster sneaker sets. Yeah yeah I know they look a little funky but who gives a rats, right????

Finally, let me close by saying one simple thing...

Never, never, NEVER let anyone or anything keep you from pursuing that perfect wave---- the solution is out there, you just have to find it.

good surfing to ya...
spidah da kneeridah
Nov

Post by Nov »

Wow thanks! I gotta try all this stuff, the only thing I've done is keep off it by standup surfing. But when I think it has gone I go for a surf and there it is back again. It's a pretty evil thing to get. I don't think I've seen any kneepads you can wear but if I can find some I'll waer them for sure, I'm sick of standing up :( .
red

Post by red »

Nov,
It's probably because you've grown like 3ft in a year. I used to get W on the K when I had my growth spurt and was playing heaps of rugby. Stopped recurring after a few years- so there's hope for you! I expect that you will get medical advice and the rest, too.
Red
Nov

Post by Nov »

Yep I'm now 8'2" and still growing, still love riding 5'10"'s though. When my knee is actually up to it.
gsurf

Post by gsurf »

Speaking from experience and having a therapist wife who hammers this info into me all the time. Housemaid's knee is very easy to diagnose. Look for a swolled, red lump just below the patella on the front of the knee. If you have it's pretty obvious.
On the other hand, a swollen (read tight ) knee that hurts to put weight on it is more than an overuse injury. What happens is when there's something in your knee that's causing friction, be it torn cartiledge, arthritis, torn ligaments, ,your knee reacts by pumping fluid into to it in attempt to reduce the friction.
If this has been a recurring problem get it checked out and fixed soon. If you don't it probably only get worse and will lead to early arthritis.

My guess is you may have torn meniscus (cartiledge in your knee) with a flap that is aggravating the whole knee(been there)
Techno

Water on the knee ???

Post by Techno »

Nov - ever thought of getting a blood test done ???
I get Gout (High Uric Acid) and it effects joints - not just the big toe.
Same symptoms - swollen - painfull - red in colour - can't kneel, walk, squat etc.
It used to get me in the right foot/ankle but now hits me in the left knee about once a month.
I found out that it usually attacks joints that have had a past injury.
Hence the ankle and the knee suffer with me.
Booze sets it off as does some seafood and stress.
The only thing you can do is saturate yourself with water - as much as the system can handle - and yes you'll piddle like a fountain from the amount of water intake.
I now drink up to 4 litres a day - I also have a Kidney disease - so it helps me there anyway.

Mate - go see your Doctor - its only a simple blood test - you may have Gout.

Hope this is of some use to you ???

See ya'

Tony "TECHNO" Aubrey
HAVE SPARE KIDNEY - WILL TRAVEL FOR SURF !!!
kage

Post by kage »

I had something like that when I was a kid ( 35 years ago)- the doctor called it ( apologies here for spelling and memory) Osgood Shlauters Disease (?) Surf bumps is what we called it. Cortisone injections in both knees and the direction not to kneel on hard surfaces was the treatment. Have been trouble free since. Are you currently surfing with a pad or wetsuit with knees? Perhaps that would help after the swelling goes down. Good luck!
Flexman

Post by Flexman »

Last edited by Flexman on Sun Apr 30, 2006 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nov

Re: Water on the knee ???

Post by Nov »

Techno wrote:Nov - ever thought of getting a blood test done ???
I get Gout (High Uric Acid) and it effects joints - not just the big toe.
Same symptoms - swollen - painfull - red in colour - can't kneel, walk, squat etc.
It used to get me in the right foot/ankle but now hits me in the left knee about once a month.
I found out that it usually attacks joints that have had a past injury.
Hence the ankle and the knee suffer with me.
Booze sets it off as does some seafood and stress.
The only thing you can do is saturate yourself with water - as much as the system can handle - and yes you'll piddle like a fountain from the amount of water intake.
I now drink up to 4 litres a day - I also have a Kidney disease - so it helps me there anyway.

Mate - go see your Doctor - its only a simple blood test - you may have Gout.

Hope this is of some use to you ???

See ya'

Tony "TECHNO" Aubrey
AAAAAAAAHHH Blood test :roll: :shock: . Blood tests are scary...
I've got pads on my boards and a long leg wettie, it doesnt do much though. But 6-18 months... AAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH.
gsurf

Post by gsurf »

kage wrote:I had something like that when I was a kid ( 35 years ago)- the doctor called it ( apologies here for spelling and memory) Osgood Shlauters Disease (?) Surf bumps is what we called it. Cortisone injections in both knees and the direction not to kneel on hard surfaces was the treatment. Have been trouble free since. Are you currently surfing with a pad or wetsuit with knees? Perhaps that would help after the swelling goes down. Good luck!
Medical definition:
"Osgood-Schlatter is defined by a characteristic soreness and swelling at the tibial tuberosity (top front of the knee, lower leg). It usually originates in those between the ages of 10 and 15 who are both physically active and in a "growth spurt". "
If you're in this age group or perhaps slightly older this may be your condition. If you older, it's probably something else.
Nov

Post by Nov »

Sounds like me. Although I think I got my kneebumps from too much surfing not from growing.