Kenny Honingford Update 10/15/2010

With the averge age of the kneeboarder these days this area should be used to post issues on health matters (surfer's ear, knee surgery, stretches, etc).

Moderator: Moderator

khoningford
Local (More than 25 post)

Kenny Honingford Update 10/15/2010

Post by khoningford »

To all my friends and brothers here at KSUSA,

I was just released from Hoag hospital about 2 hours ago and am resting now at home and want to give everyone an update on my condition. But before I do anything else, I want to offer my deep and sincere appreciation to all of you that have expressed concern and good wishes for myself and my family. I am humbled beyond words and am honored to be a member of this brotherhood, and anyone who knows me well will know that I very rarely say the following words: I LOVE YOU GUYS! And a special word of thanks to Greg Holtz, Big Fred, Matt Keene, Tom Backer and of course Max B. You guys will never know what it meant to me see your smiling faces and hear your warm words of encouragement. Dammit I'm about to cry...

As many of you have heard by now, on Wed. morning I was involved in what I can only describe as a living nightmare at 52nd street Newport Beach. I'll try keep it concise... Surf was running 3-5' w/ bigger sets but a dropping tide and shallow sandbar belied the true power of this swell. I had just caught the 1st wave a good set and started to paddle back out
Last edited by khoningford on Fri Oct 15, 2010 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
spidah da kneeridah
MWROBERTSON
Legend (Contribution King!)

Kenny

Post by MWROBERTSON »

Kenny,

So glad to hear the news that you're going to be ok. Word travels fast as I received a text from Greg Ozemic (local Newport Stand up). I think he may have been out with you. A bunch of us were out at State Park that a.m. there were some heavy, hollow peaks. I'm sure Newport was breaking even harder.

Glad you came through, we were all pulling for you.
8)
MR-
khoningford

Post by khoningford »

The next wave loomed on the horizon, a solid 10' double up that caught me off guard in the impact zone, blasting the inside front edge of my board into the right side of my face with a force I can only describe as demonic. It hit me with such force that it bent my head back far enough for my skull to touch the top of my back. I saw a bright flash and instantly knew this was not going to go well. I wait for the wave to subside and start the swim upward but my arms and hands refuse to respond. Try to kick with the fins, no go. A sickening feeling begins to overwhelm me...I'm PARALYZED. I open my eyes and quickly go into survival mode, must relax and conserve air, my only hope is to float to the surface. I get to the last 12" of foam when BAM! the next waves hits me, piledriving me into the sand face-first hands & arms useless to offer any protection. Again the wave relents and my 4/3 slowly bouying my motionless torso upwards. I think to myself "This is it, I've got to get to the surface and at least get out a cry for help" Once again I get close enough to see daylight and here comes wave #3. It washes over me but this time instead of easing off , decides to take me on some kind of perverted tour of the bottom...
Last edited by khoningford on Fri Oct 15, 2010 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
spidah da kneeridah
khoningford

Post by khoningford »

Oxygen level is beyond critical. Reality sets in. I try with every fiber of my being to hold on, but it's no use. I say goodbye to my wife...goodbye to my daughter..and as stupid as it sounds, my very last thought: I can't believe I'm actually going to drown at what most would consider to be an "average" day at Newport. I relax and expel my last breath. I sense water rushing into my mouth and into my lungs. Quietly...peacefully...the lights go out.
Now I'm lying on my back, faint noises slowly becoming clearer and faces begin to come into focus. Newport local Kirk Blackman is kneeling a few feet away grasping my hand and saying " Kenny, you're gonna be all right, you're gonna be all right!" I think to myself "Well, he ain't Jesus..." A
NB lifeguard tells me to relax. They're going to load me up on a backboard and motor across the sand to a waiting Paramedic wagon. Doors are slammed and I'm at Hoag hospital in record speed. I can't quite reconcile what has just happened...this can't be real.
Before I go any further, Thankyou Geoff Moysa for spotting my face down...
Last edited by khoningford on Fri Oct 15, 2010 10:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
spidah da kneeridah
Big Fred

Post by Big Fred »

glad to see you today Kenny and happy your out of the hospital. take care of yourself and see you in the water soon.
Scott

Post by Scott »

What a frightening story, Kenny--such a miracle you made it through.
khoningford

Post by khoningford »

carcas and saving my life. Thankyou to Pat Towersey, Craig Soderquist and the three other champs whose names I haven't been able to track down who selflessly came to my aid and transported me to the sand, saving my life. And a special Thankyou to Tom Cozad, whose expertise in emergency lifesaving techniques made certain to protect me from possible further trauma including permanent paralyzation. His use of a technique called the "Jaw Thrust" helped to clear my airway and initiate water expulsion from the lungs. To you sir, I owe you my life. And Thanks to all the others who rallied around me on the beach, urging me to pull through. I know for a lot of you guys I'm the grumpy old SOB who calls you off good waves from wayyy too far back and doesn't like to share set waves. Your willingness to help a man in need has brought me to a new level of respect and humility.
And so this is where I'm at. The MRI was negative for any broken vertebrae or disc damage. A CT scan also negative...
spidah da kneeridah
khoningford

Post by khoningford »

For right now the protocol is for a few months of PT, with the possibility of surgery to remove bone spurs and correct any bone degeneration in the area of c5, c6. I have limited range of motion on my left side, but they're giving me a more likely than not chance for full recovery.
Well, so much for keeping it concise.

Thank You God for giving me another day on this earth with my family....and thanks to best group of friends a man could ever have.

Sincerely, Kenny Honingford
spidah da kneeridah
Sparrow

Post by Sparrow »

Amazing run of events Kenny & from my heart I'm glad your still with us mate.
Ive read all the info given & still get chills reading it, especially how everyone united together for a fellow waterman in need.
Man hug coming your way Kenny :wink:
tomway
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

Post by tomway »

sheesh
every word you wrote there kenny, drew me in to the horror of that situation. Even though I don't know you I'm so glad you're okay. Respect to you as well as those who came to your help for holding on for so long before taking that final breath. I'm sure that played a part in saving yourself.

Good luck in your recovery.
Mike Fernandez

Post by Mike Fernandez »

Incredible Kenny, glad your still with us, hope to surf with you again. I always wonder if people would ever spot a surfer in trouble in the surf zone. We need more people like Geoff. Great work to all the others also.
I am a traveller of both time and space, a weaver in and out of dreams, I see worlds seldom seen.

www.michaelfernandezphoto.com
Rocky Point/Black Rock
http://www.youtube.com/user/kneelocoveproduction
KEL

Post by KEL »

A daughter needs her daddy around!!!!!!!.......... glad to see you are doing better
stonefish

slambar

Post by stonefish »

aloha Kenny, you own that spot now. any wave you want is yours. no one is gonna get in the way when you take off WAYYYYY deep! God bless ya man. you are very strong to take that sort of drubbing and survive.
Jeff Wallis

Post by Jeff Wallis »

Glad to hear you are doing better!! I recently experienced a severe blow to my head although I was wearing a helmet. I was also piulled under and my cord was collecting kelp faster and faster rolling me across the bottom and my fins were wrapped in the cord. it ws a very real and scary experience. I came up eventually gasping for air. When I got to the surface I was able to start pulling the kelp from my cord but got worked on the inside by several waves. Eventually I was able to get tangle free and paddle back to the outside for damage control. At this point I was feeling lucky to be alive. Not knowing that I had a concussion or damage to my board I decided to stay out for a few more waves. When I finally came out of the water I noticed a huge pressure dent on the deck where my head hit it. It seperated the glass along the stringer for about6-7 inches and depressed the foam. There was also a second dent where the board hit me a second time. This event reminded me when I was a youngster surfing here in IB and broke my jaw when I took a shot to the jaw with the rail of my board. That time I was knocked unconscious and was pulled from the water by a fellow kneelo. I was extremely lucky this time myself. I know some of the feelings you felt and hope that you have a speedy recovery and get back at it soon! I was advised to stay out of the water and off my board for 4 weeks. Not sure if I can last that long out of the water.

Jeff[/u]
alfredo zavala

Post by alfredo zavala »

Thanks for sharing Kenny.
So thankful you're still with us.
It was not your time to go, so I know you'll make the most of what you have left!
Apparently sometimes angels take the form of Newport locals.
Thank God.